Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

So i'm still confused about this situation. How do these new rules affect someone who is trying to get a work permit to teach in Thailand? If I have a job offer before I go, do I still have to get a round trip ticket and reserve a hotel?

If you have a job offer you should be applying for a Non Immigrant visa at the embassy.

Once the visa is granted a one way ticket will be fine.

This topic is about Tourist Visas, and does not apply to you.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i'm still confused about this situation. How do these new rules affect someone who is trying to get a work permit to teach in Thailand? If I have a job offer before I go, do I still have to get a round trip ticket and reserve a hotel?

If you have a job offer you should be applying for a Non Immigrant visa at the embassy.

Once the visa is granted a one way ticket will be fine.

This topic is about Tourist Visas, and does not apply to you.

Thank you, that saved a lot of time. Now i really don't see what all the fuss is about.

No wonder the new requirements don't bother you. The Thai Consulate in NZ had you jumping through hoops already, as is quite typical of the way many things are done in that little country.

It's seriously retarded to have to show return tickets when you apply for a visa. What if you don't get it? How annoying would it be if you prepare a full itinerary for a double entry tourist visa application and it is not approved.

When people apply for tourist visas for Australia and NZ they specifically recommend you DON'T buy tickets until you know your visa has been approved. The same applies to hotel accommodation.

What a sensible post. Pass it on to LOS Immigration. :)

Perhaps it is just too sensible. Right now my wife is applying for a tourist visa to visit Australia. We aren't the slightest bit interested in booking accommodation or tickets at this stage. To do so would be absurd. Last year we applied for a tourist visa to visit NZ. They expressly state on the application form NOT to purchase tickets.

Checking on return tickets should be left to the airlines and/or entry Immigration Officers once you have your visa.

It might make a difference if you are not a citizen of the country where you are applying for a tourist visa.

Here are the current requirements from the Royal Thai Consulate -General, Sydney, Australia.

http://www.thaiconsulatesydney.org/visa.html

Royal Thai Consulate, Brisbane.

http://www.thaiconsulate.org.au/

Note the 17 countries whose citizens have permanent residence status in Australia.

Well, this is what i read under tourist visa:

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months;
  • Visa application form completely filled out;
  • Recent (4 cm x 6 cm) photograph of the applicant;
  • Confirmed travel arrangements to and from Thailand.

There are no changes to the Thai Consulate Los Angeles, or Thai Embassy DC websites. Possibly because, as has been suggested, there hasn't been enough time yet to do this.

So, yesterday I sent an email to the honorary consulate in Portland:

My question:

The Thaivisa forum, from which many of us learn quite a bit about visa requirements, has recently been abuzz with new requirements for a tourist visa. To wit, the reported new requirements are: copy of airline ticket into Thailand; copy of airline ticket out of Thailand; and copy of hotel reservation ( or similar accommodation). Have any of these changed your website-reported requirements, namely, as a US citizen, no proof of airline tickets/reservations or hotel reservation are needed?

Their answer:

There is no such requirement for tourist visas – please be careful when checking the Thaivisa.com website regarding requirements for Thai visas. You will find all information you need on the Royal Thai Embassy website or any consulate website.

Sincerely,

Mary Wheeler

Mary Wheeler

Consular Assistant

Royal Thai Consulate General

1136 NW Hoyt Street, Suite 210

Portland, Oregon 97209

503-221-0440 - Phone

503-221-0332 - Fax

[email protected]

THE THAI CONSULATE WILL BE CLOSED SEPTEMBER 5 - 8, 2011 AND WILL RE--OPEN SEPTEMBER 12, 2011. ALL VISAS APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER SEPTEMBER 1ST WILL BE ISSUED BY SEPTEMBER 13, 2011.

Hmmm. I guess it is possible, especially as an honorary consulate, the word hasn't filtered down yet. More likely, however, is this "new policy" is meant to apply just to the border consulates, to thwart the ersatz tourists from doing border runs for consecutive tourist visas. To make it harder for legitimate tourists to get visas just doesn't make sense.

So, for Yanks, I once again recommend Portland for getting a tourist visa. They have a website (unlike most honorary consulates), with all the requirements. Plus, as shown above, they will answer your email. And they're easy to deal with via mail.

And, no requirement to show airline ticket (for US citizens), and no hotel or financial requirements. Also, you can get a three-entry tourist visa valid for 6-months, while LA and DC advertise validity of only 3-months, even while offering the multi entry option.

DC also requires "round trip ticket" and evidence of $500 per person. LA, on the other hand, doesn't require proof of airline ticket or finances. (They, however, no longer accept FEDEX or UPS -- only USPS.)

You'd think everyone would be on the same sheet of music. But, apparently, the music is rap.

Oh, come Oct 1, 2011, tourist visa fees per entry become $40. Single entry Non Imm, $80; multi-entry Non Imm, $200.

Re Jim's comments above, I note that the source for these supposed changes that was linked at the beginning of this thread was the web site of the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh.

Combine that with the comments Jim received from the Hon. Consul in Portland, and it does make one wonder whether this change is an isolated, country specific one, or a broad across-the-board one...

This particular subject isn't directly pertinent to me... But in scanning now 14 pages of posts in this thread, I haven't seen anything that would clearly show the supposed changes are comprehensive, across-the-board...

Have I missed some authoritative source here that would demonstrate that???

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs webiste now states as requirements for a tourist visa

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out - Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2489

Mario, I used the Internet Archive Wayback to look at that MFA web site in history, the most recent snapshop archived being mid 2009.

It appears to back then have almost the exact same language as you quoted above, particularly regarding airline ticket out...

The one change is that they seem to have doubled the financial requirements sometime since 09....

http://web.archive.o...482.php?id=2489

Also, I note, there's no mention then or now about the hotel reservations as cited in the OP in this thread.

Not much in that web page source to suggest there's been any kind of big recent change...

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

And now they enforce that rule, at least in P.P. and many embassy websites state the same requirements, with many also asking for a ticket when applyng or a visa. Indeed it is not a new requirement, but one that is now more strictly enforced. Let's wait and see for the reports about obtaining a tourist visa in the neighbourhood.

Here's the Thai Embassy in Vientiane, Laos... No mention of airline tickets or hotel reservations re tourist visa....

http://vientiane.tha...consular_check/

The Thai Embassy in Malaysia, meanwhile, shows two different sets of requirements for tourist visas:

--listed countries: airline ticket and accommodation reservation required.

--non-listed countries: airline ticket required, no mention of accommodation proof.

http://www.mfa.go.th...87.php?&id=3923

The Embassy in Singapore references airline ticket, but nothing about accommodation:

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/consular-visa-matters/visa-requirements/tourist-visa

So, yesterday I sent an email to the honorary consulate in Portland:

My question:

The Thaivisa forum, from which many of us learn quite a bit about visa requirements, has recently been abuzz with new requirements for a tourist visa. To wit, the reported new requirements are: copy of airline ticket into Thailand; copy of airline ticket out of Thailand; and copy of hotel reservation ( or similar accommodation). Have any of these changed your website-reported requirements, namely, as a US citizen, no proof of airline tickets/reservations or hotel reservation are needed?

Their answer:

There is no such requirement for tourist visas – please be careful when checking the Thaivisa.com website regarding requirements for Thai visas. You will find all information you need on the Royal Thai Embassy website or any consulate website.

Mary Wheeler

Consular Assistant

Royal Thai Consulate General

1136 NW Hoyt Street, Suite 210

Portland, Oregon 97209

As Jim mentioned above, the Portland, Oregon honorary consulate does have its own website:

http://www.thai-or.com/

And curiously, in its PDF document on visa instructions, it includes the following excerpt:

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A VISA:

A. Proof of confirmed onward ticket is required, except for U.S. citizens applying for a Tourist

visa.

http://www.thai-or.c...nstructions.pdf

They do, however, have additional requirements for various visas for NON U.S. passport holders:

Additional Requirements for Non-US Passport Holders: In addition to the above requirements, please submit a total of four (4) passport photos, a copy of your airline tickets or itinerary, a copy of your Permanent Residence Card or US Visa, and a copy of current bank statement.

it is quite conceivable that local consulates and embassies haven't got their websites updated with any new rules as yet.

Possibly. But several years ago, this law/guideline/wild ass assumption was published on the MFA website re a tourist visa:

Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

Makes sense, actually. They wanted to see a confirmed exit strategy.

Then, we see the Thai Embassy Washington require evidence of, not only an exit ticket, but of an entrance ticket. I guess you could say they got it, that is, MFA guidance, 'half right.'

LA and Portland require proof of neither an exit nor an entry airline ticket. I guess you can say they got it 'half wrong.'

And MFA's website says this about obtaining a Non Imm O-A visa:

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

Completely wrong. You can't get a Non Imm O-A in-country from Thai Immigration.

So, we've gotten it half-right, half-wrong, and half-assed.

Stay tuned for the next half.

it is quite conceivable that local consulates and embassies haven't got their websites updated with any new rules as yet.

Of course, that explanation doesn't account for the direct email response Jim received from the Portland Honorary Consulate saying there had been no change in the rules re applying for tourist visas...at least... not in the U.S.

Of course, that explanation doesn't account for the direct email response Jim received from the Portland Honorary Consulate saying there had been no change in the rules re applying for tourist visas...at least... not in the U.S.

Perhaps he has not yet been informed. The interesting part about that email response was his attitude to information found on Thaivisa.com.

Having read this thread , i phoned the Royal Thai consulate today in Liverpool and the lady who answered stated there are no new requirements for a tourist visa . When i replied that i had read it on Thai Visa forum she replied quite curtly that Thai Visa forum is neither the Thai embassy or consulate and that she would be issuing visas using the same criteria as before ...have to wait and see i suppose .

The interesting part about that email response was his attitude to information found on Thaivisa.com.

There's a tremendous amount of very valuable visa-related information that's available here on TV, both from some very knowledgeable mods and first-hand reports from members on the ground.

However, I also think it's very unfortunate that in recent months, there have been a series of visa-related announcements/articles posted by those in charge about supposed major changes that simply have not turned out to be true or accurate. And I think those do a dis-service both to the credibility of the forum and to many members who are left needlessly worried and confused.

There was the post about how supposedly those on retirement extensions were going to have new requirements including proof of bringing funds into Thailand. Months have passed, and there's been no evidence of any policy implementing those supposed changes. Likewise, there was a thread more recently about supposed changes in 90 day reporting requirements that thus far, certainly at least in BKK, hasn't proven accurate.

And now some questions about the main content of this thread.... Given the way Thailand and its government agencies operate, there are always going to be variations in policy and practice from place to place and even country to country.. But just because one consulate or embassy may be doing something doesn't automatically mean that all their counterparts in other locations are doing the same.

The interesting part about that email response was his attitude to information found on Thaivisa.com.

There's a tremendous amount of very valuable visa-related information that's available here on TV, both from some very knowledgeable mods and first-hand reports from members on the ground.

However, I also think it's very unfortunate that in recent months, there have been a series of visa-related announcements/articles posted by those in charge about supposed major changes that simply have not turned out to be true or accurate. And I think those do a dis-service both to the credibility of the forum and to many members who are left needlessly worried and confused.

There was the post about how supposedly those on retirement extensions were going to have new requirements including proof of bringing funds into Thailand. Months have passed, and there's been no evidence of any policy implementing those supposed changes. Likewise, there was a thread more recently about supposed changes in 90 day reporting requirements that thus far, certainly at least in BKK, hasn't proven accurate.

And now some questions about the main content of this thread.... Given the way Thailand and its government agencies operate, there are always going to be variations in policy and practice from place to place and even country to country.. But just because one consulate or embassy may be doing something doesn't automatically mean that all their counterparts in other locations are doing the same.

There are stories posted here that need more info and facts but there are also posters here who should take it all in stride until there is more information. I donot feel that it is a lack of information but a over reaction by some forum members.

If you own property chances are you will be staying longer than 60 days. Of course there will be the odd one who only stays 60 days and then moves on for business reasons. He will be coming in and out of the country. Maybe some kind of work permit. Who knows?

So, in case i working aboard, but rent a house on a long term base, from now on, i have to rent a hotel room as well, if i arrive on a tourist visa?

That falls under the following clause listed in the requirements in the OP:

"In the absence of a required document, a letter indicating the unavailability of such document must be provided."

Personally, I always send my visa applications with a covering letter, even if it is only to list the enclosures. In a situation like those quoted above, the letter can give an explanation why no hotel booking has been made.

There are stories posted here that need more info and facts but there are also posters here who should take it all in stride until there is more information. I donot feel that it is a lack of information but a over reaction by some forum members.

What is the answer of the topic starter here upon ???

What is the answer of the topic starter here upon ???

My guess wait and see in a couple weeks someone or some company will have a cost effective way to make everyone semi-happy. You can't fault Thailand for enforcing immigration policy they have that right. I am sure they understand the amount of people generating money,knowledge and commerce for Thailand that are on long stay tourist visas. New governments always try to take bold steps so they let the people know they are trying. Imagine if you were part of the whole underground casino racket they had going those guys lost some serious cash face and future.

I think the simple answer for anyone is need is.... check with your intended consulate and ask them directly by phone or email if possible, "What are your requirements" or "Have there been any changes to your requirements" for issuing a tourist visa..

So far, in the wake of these supposed changes, we've had members above check directly with the Portland Ore. consulate in the USA. Answer: No change, nothing new required... Another member above reported calling and checking with the Liverpool UK consulate.. Answer: No change, nothing new required.

A direct inquiry, of course, is going to avoid the potential problem that IF there had been a very recent change, it might not have been reflected as yet on that consulate's website...particularly for some of the far-flung outposts...

And of course, as posted above, the government's own Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site info on tourist visa requirements has had since at least 2009 an item on needing an exit airline ticket (though that hasn't been and still isn't enforced at various places). But nothing about proof of accommodation, then or now.

http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2489

Friend of mine just got back from Phnom Penh.

He got a double-entry tourist visa. Did not go through an agent. He went to the embassy himself.

And his passport is north African.

I don't know if they're trying to generate traffic or what, but I'm really thinking this Thaivisa report was a bit of dubious scaremongering.