Are The Majority Of Thais Physically Fit?

johnbits

^ I couldn't help it - California dessert looks like this, and is perhaps not ideal for fitness people

California desert less appetising (hot, sand)

anyway, differences between fitness/exercise and what this thread has morphed into - strength

confident I'd out-run, out-cycle and definitely out-swim most people in medium distance events, yet in the gym faced with weights I'd be well behind

I am fit, not necessarily strong in a weights/gym sense

Strength is one viable aspect of fitness, and depending on your lifestyle, it could be one of the most important. But so is cardio, flexibility, and the ability to perform in things like sports.

From current accepted doctrine, there are four kinds of fitness: aerobic, anaerobic, muscular strength, and muscular endurance. All of these are important in varying degrees depending on what is desired.

From my experience, Thai aerobic bunnies are just as aerobically fit as those anywhere else. And muay thai practitioners have very good fitness in all four areas. But not as many Thais have the muscular strength I have observed elsewhere, Olympic medals notwithstanding. The question on whether the run-of-the-mill Thai is as fit as the run-of-the-mill anyone else is interesting, but it would be hard to prove. My gut is that except for specific areas where exercise is part of the culture or where exercise is part of daily life, Thais are the same as anywhere else.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people that are most fit (all over the world) don't usually spend all of their time in the gym. They're out on the soccer fields, paddling in the oceans, running through trails and mountains, serving in the military, etc, etc. Gyms are supplemental. Many full time gym rats are just narcissistic.

The people that are most fit (all over the world) don't usually spend all of their time in the gym. They're out on the soccer fields, paddling in the oceans, running through trails and mountains, serving in the military, etc, etc. Gyms are supplemental. Many full time gym rats are just narcissistic.

It all depends on what kind of fitness you talk about. Real muscle strength is impossible to get without weights and lifting them. If you are talking endurance your probably right.

Though if you look at the average soccer player :D I know in Holland they all went into the pub after a game drinking and smoking. Real stamina.. only the stars but the average ones :D

I train to keep in shape i don't want to look like the majority of foreigners in Thailand.. obese. But it cost me a lot of energy and effort. Its a ever ongoing battle. Some are just blessed with the right genes while others struggle.

Though slim does not mean fit

Though if you look at the average soccer player :D I know in Holland they all went into the pub after a game drinking and smoking. Real stamina.. only the stars but the average ones :D

Most famous one was probably Johan Cruyff who smoked a pack a day throughout his playing career and only quit after heart bypass surgery in 1991.

I would think there is a big difference between farm people and city people. The men up here can carry 40 kilo bags of rice all day long. My wife is 43 years old and she can cut sugar cane from daylight to dark. She can also plant rice daylight to dark but cutting sugar cane is much harder work.

She loves to go up the mountains and hunt wild mushrooms. Her last hunt I gave her my hand held GPS and taught her how to use it. The mountain is relatively steep. When she got home I checked the tracks and she had walked more than ten kilometers up and down the mountain through the jungle.

So yes, my hundred pound farm girl wife and her farm girl friend are both quite fit. I tell her that she doesn't have to work in the rice paddies or sugar cane fields but I might as well save my breath. She says it is her duty.

I train to keep in shape i don't want to look like the majority of foreigners in Thailand.. obese. But it cost me a lot of energy and effort. Its a ever ongoing battle. Some are just blessed with the right genes while others struggle.

Why is it an ongoing battle for you? How tall are you? Do you drink?

I agree that slim does not mean fit. I'm tall (187cm) and slim, but not amazingly fit. That said, I do think fitness is more important than strength or muscle development.

I would rather go cycling or walking than go to a gym.

Edited by andrewbkk

Noticed you neglected the traditional farmer, whom doesn't require the fabricated and invented institutional forms of excecise.

It just is.

I agree that slim does not mean fit. I'm tall (187cm) and slim, but not amazingly fit. That said, I do think fitness is more important than strength or muscle development.

I hate cycling, and im from Holland. I drink alcohol once a week. But for me yes it is an ongoing battle. I could win it if i totally stopped eating Thai food and never drank a drip again. But for now im still ok slim and more then a bit of muscular.

I absolutely hate walking and biking. I only like it if i am in a forest.

I like muscle development a lot, but we all have likes and dislikes. Besides muscle development goes with my bodytype. Also the reason why its easier to get fat for me. Some will never gain an pound of muscle and others gain it easier. But they gain fat too easier. There is also the gifted class they gain muscle easy and no fat.

I hate cycling, and im from Holland. I drink alcohol once a week. But for me yes it is an ongoing battle. I could win it if i totally stopped eating Thai food and never drank a drip again. But for now im still ok slim and more then a bit of muscular.

I absolutely hate walking and biking. I only like it if i am in a forest.

I like muscle development a lot, but we all have likes and dislikes. Besides muscle development goes with my bodytype. Also the reason why its easier to get fat for me. Some will never gain an pound of muscle and others gain it easier. But they gain fat too easier. There is also the gifted class they gain muscle easy and no fat.

A Dutch guy who doesn't like cycling. Wow! I thought everyone in Holland rode a bicycle!

If you're worried about gaining weight, read about WATER BLOAT. Much of your fat is probably water bloat. This happens with many foreigners here in Thailand because they don't drink enough water.

When you get dehydrated, your body gets stressed. And when this happens, your body extracts water from everything you eat and drink, and then stores it as fat.

But once you start drinking large amounts of water, your body will begin to shed fat. Basically, your body thinks "OK, I've now got a regular supply of water coming in so I no longer need to store water as fat".

Drinking lots of water (3 of those 1.5 liter bottles per day) is the easiest way to lose fat. Try it. You'll be amazed.

A Dutch guy who doesn't like cycling. Wow! I thought everyone in Holland rode a bicycle!

If you're worried about gaining weight, read about WATER BLOAT. Much of your fat is probably water bloat. This happens with many foreigners here in Thailand because they don't drink enough water.

When you get dehydrated, your body gets stressed. And when this happens, your body extracts water from everything you eat and drink, and then stores it as fat.

But once you start drinking large amounts of water, your body will begin to shed fat. Basically, your body thinks "OK, I've now got a regular supply of water coming in so I no longer need to store water as fat".

Drinking lots of water (3 of those 1.5 liter bottles per day) is the easiest way to lose fat. Try it. You'll be amazed.

I don't mind cycling actually, in Holland its ok in nature. But here i don't like it as its too hot and dangerous. I got a spinning bike in my own gym. But like most forms of indoor cardio i really hate doing it. So i usually don't Just lift my weights and that is it. (not that that isnt hard work).

There was a time that i would do the spinning, plus weightlifting plus a real strickt food program. But now im a bit more relaxed. I like to be able to eat food at the local restaurant and don't have to worry all the time.

I do cook for myself but not all meals and start the day with some oatmeal. So i am doing not 100% off track but not as fanatical as b4.

I can't seem to get my wife to do any sports in our gym. Maybe we will do some badminton again.

Edited by robblok

Gyms are the only place a normal person can meditate in peace in Thailand. No dogs barking, no neighbor listening to buddah music at max volume. Just strong energetic music and weights clashing. Just make sure to tell the cellphone users to GTFO.

Also whats narcissistic about having larger muscle? All i see is advantage? Fit in your shirt, Not a bad sight for other people(looking at fatties is pretty much like looking at trash on a beach), able to help someone in trouble very often especially in heavy situations, more resistant to knifing attacks, more resistant to any blow in accident, etc.

Edited by thaiIand