Bangkok To Have Alcohol Free Zones

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they seriously saying the BIB won't be able to "IN-BIB" anymore at work??? Shocking!!

But seriously, it's a VERY ODDLY worded announcement... I can't believe it's what they really mean....

"Alcoholic drinks can only be sold in a shop or a club." So not in restaurants??? And no more of the street-side bars???

And, sales of alcohol not after midnight??? So even "clubs" won't be able to sell drinks after midnight???

I can't believe that's correct... I think someone who wrote the announcement at NNT needs to go back to journalism school.

Off topic posts as well as comments on moderation have been removed.

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

If they announced that the police were going to collect up up all the drunks, winos etc in huge police trucks, (during these specified hours) lock them up for 24 hrs and fine them, it would make a lot more sense, make BK look a lot nicer and improve the tea-money fund at local local police stations.

Mmhh. The alcohol ban has been in place in 7-11 and shopping malls for a long time, however if you bought a full pack of 12 bears, as you wear purchasing for a shop, all legal. other hours. Besides that there's always a place to buy!

Considering this and the newly news on tighter tourist visa requirements. I assume the new Government is just validating current laws, and make them look that they are doing something. I'll post on getting a tourist visa in Laos and how it works. Leaving Friday. Other related news on this is might be: The government is trying to make Thailand a family destination....

Edited by soilsearch

"Bangkok will have alcohol free zones across the city with the move determined to curb violence that often stems from binge drinking....

...to enforce an alcohol free zone on every public park, government building and police station."

Does that mean there is binge drinking going on in government buildings and police stations???

I took it to mean there is violence going on in police stations and public buildings due to drinking. I guess it never was safe to drink in a police station. :D

No we are coming up to that time of the year again when Government and police positions are announced...curfews,sanctions and paper cup time once again...All be forgotten in a couple of months don't sweat!!!

Police Stations - Alcohol Free Zones?

It must surely be April the 1st all over again.

Who is going to tell the BiB that their end-of-shift 'sessions' will soon consist of diet coke and orange juice :P !!!!

Sales of alcohol will be limited to two periods. From 11.00 hrs 14.00 hrs and from 17.00 hrs 24.00 hrs.

Isn't this already in force in supermarkets?

Yesss!!! but don't tell them as they think that they are politicians now and running the show - it will only upset them if you let them know that it has already been done!!!!:unsure:

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

You can't even buy a beer in a police station if this new law comes it? <deleted>?

Another nail in the coffin of Thai tourism!

:lol:

Just donate a nice size fridge to your local station, bet that will change the whole mix.

What next ??? Soon they will want to ban prostitution and gambling also !

yea seems like the new government is on a mission to clean up Thailands reputation by promoting it to be a place to take families on holiday. Changing the image of the country as far as tourism is a step in the right direction. I believe their ultimate goal is to say "Hey theres a new kid in town! Families , and people with family values are welcome!!!. Sex addicts, pedophiles, and other trash, thanks for your prior patronage but we would prefer if you take your business elsewhere". It would be a monumental task to clean up things [i.e. getting rid of sex massage parlors, and any places that promote irresponsible behavior of that nature]. I wish you luck on that one, Yingluck.:jap:

Looks like Thailand is hell bent on ruining their tourist market.........

annoyed.gif

It will not be that bad. As I have heard, they will turn the complete BTS trains and stations, as well all public busses into no drinking zones. The building of the Alcoholics Anonymous will also be affected by this new regulation.

The latest recommendation was, to also declare the complete area of Bangkok as a no drinking zone inbetween 12h and noon.

Alcoholic drinks can only be sold in a shop or a club.

And where else would one EXPECT to be able to buy alcohol?

...apart from the recently prohibited police stations that is.

Meanwhile, my old gardener Somchai uncorks his first bottle of lao khao shortly after 7am. Stops for a double shot around 11 (it's called elevenses apparently). The bottle is half done by afternoon siesta time (is this Mexico or what?) and the second bottle is polished off around 6pm and which time having failed to reach escape velocity, he switches to Archa.

I too rushed on line to see what this meant. But it doesn't sound like it's changing anything.

You can always buy booze whenever you want with very little effort.

Our black market neighbours in the village don't check their watch when we send one of the kids over to grab a couple of Leos. How many laws are we breaking there?

Hold you horses there! it said special zones, this may well include the popular entertainment zones such and Sukhumwit and Silom. And there is a difference in law between retailing of booze (supermarkets) and selling in licenced venues (bars). The ending time varies from one district to another and certain venues have 'special' permission.

Another inconsistency in this story is the times. Presently alcohol cannot be retailed (it can be wholesaled) all day except between 1 and 2pm, whereas article here suggests 11-2pm.

In anycase, if the bright sparks who initiated this rule a few years ago bothered to follow up with research they would discover that it probably had very little impact on reducing drink problem, since booze can still be bought from moms and pops stores, besides, what's stopping you from buying booze at 1;55pm and getting hammered all afternoon. If anything it's just a pointless exercise that greatly inconveniences the public.

The more you try to ' fight' alcohol consumption with all kind of restrictions, the more appealing it becomes to infringe those restrictions.The same applies to drugs.Look at scandinavian countries, where alcohol beverages are the most expensive in the world and legislation very restrictive: almost everybody gets drunk...

So let me get this straight. We are not allowed to drink in police stations any more? They really are taking away the fun. At least we can still empty our suitcases on the floor of the police department and storm out.

You can still buy alcohol as long as its atleast 10 items at your friendly neighborhood Foodland during the no sell periods.

This law has been in effect for many years already, i dont think ive ever been in a restaurant that wouldn't sell me a beer during those times. But 7-11 won't, mom and pop shops dont give a rip about the law.

Fuji is the only restaurant I have been to which will not sell beer - even with a meal - outside the timeframe which everyone else assumes refers only to retail sales for consumption off-premises.

It seems as though the new Order will force all establishments - bars, restaurants etc. - to do the same.

Patrick

You can't even buy a beer in a police station if this new law comes it? <deleted>?

Another nail in the coffin of Thai tourism!

:lol:

I hope that coffin never finds itself in deep water. :violin:

jb1

August fool.... Just doesn't have the same ring to it. :whistling:

Edited by jimbeam1