Flu Epidemic In Chiang Mai?

sfokevin

I have a friend who just had a terrible bout of the flu that ended him at CM Ram for two days... Then another friend also had her two teen age children catch a bad case... Both said the hospital said they were dealing with a extraordinary amount of cases in the last couple weeks and they expected it to get worse...

My question is do they still have that annual flu vaccine and where can you get it?

There is a flu epidemic right now. My son was admitted today with a diagnosis of "influenza". McCormick Hospital was absolutely packed with sick people. We were put on a waiting list for him to get a room. Took about 5-6 hours before we got the call that they had a room for him.

You can get the flu vaccine at Dr. Morgan's Hang Dong Clinic. Do a search on this forum for Health Care Medical Clinic or simply Dr. Morgan...wait here it is listed on her website...590 Baht.

http://www.healthcaremedicalclinic.com/index.php

Edited by elektrified

How does the flu choose certain people to infect, while ignoring other people? Random? Diet? Previously had flu jabs?

Why not just get the flu, and let the body do its job in repairing itself? Or, if we get the flu, then can we take that as a message that all is not right with one's immune system?

Or, can we prevent getting it by taking certain food choices?

They're not leading questions, just questions that belong to this topic. Personally i've never had one flu jab, even as a kid many years ago, when many people who got the flu were those that had already had the jab. I wonder if any posters who have or have not had flu jabs might be willing to tell us of their flu history?

I had a severe bout of the flu which seems to be going around. It was brutal --the hospital offered me a bed for 3 days but i took outpatient treatment. I was sick for nearly two weeks and would not give this one to my worst enemy. I would urge people to request the flu shot....

One of my friends just had it - the whole family - it lasted for about 2 weeks.

Out in Sanpatong, Mae Wang, everyone seems to have it.

My husband got it the day before yesterday but very mild version compared to what others seem to have. He's much better today.

I hope he's not going to pass it on to us!

How does the flu choose certain people to infect, while ignoring other people? Random? Diet? Previously had flu jabs?

Why not just get the flu, and let the body do its job in repairing itself? Or, if we get the flu, then can we take that as a message that all is not right with one's immune system?

They're not leading questions, just questions that belong to this topic. Personally i've never had one flu jab, even as a kid many years ago, when many people who got the flu were those that had already had the jab. I wonder if any posters who have or have not had flu jabs might be willing to tell us of their flu history?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9230243? This study indicates low glutathione (usually indicating a weakened immune system) may result in more likelihood of severe flu like symptoms.

"NAC treatment was well tolerated and resulted in a significant decrease in the frequency of influenza-like episodes, severity, and length of time confined to bed."

I take a supplement (supposed to be available in Thailand next year) that is much more effective than NAC at raising intracellular glutathione, and even though I was exposed to this bug over a week ago, so far I have no symptoms. Just one case, I know, but not unexpected based on the above study.

I have never had a flu shot in my life. I just don't trust the big drug companies.

I take a supplement (supposed to be available in Thailand next year) that is much more effective than NAC at raising intracellular glutathione, and even though I was exposed to this bug over a week ago, so far I have no symptoms. Just one case, I know, but not unexpected based on the above study.

I have never had a flu shot in my life. I just don't trust the big drug companies.

what is this supplement to be available in Thailand next year?

Ok Stokevin, and now what you’re been waiting for, an exact answer to your question, minus the crap.

I have a flu jab every year. The recommended time of year for the influenza vaccine in Thailand is either in September, October and definitely no later than November.

Flu vaccines can be obtained at any of the main hospitals in Chiang Mai. Just walk in, no need to make an appointment or book the vaccination.

Of course the price increases each year. Last year I paid 700 baht, so this year it should be somewhere around that price.

You could shop around, phone the hospitals and check out the prices.

When you visit the hospital, ask for the combined bird flu and regular flu vaccine.

I had it also really bad but within 4 days it was gone lots of trips to the sauna and lots of water and lots of vic's on my bed at night no problems gone in 4 days .

My wife also go it at the same time lots of drugs everyday humidifier in the room she cleared it in 12 days .

So what i'm saying is it is better to clear these things up naturally let the bodies immune system fight for it's self and thats why most people around me get sick when i don't .

It's just to easy to go to the chemist and stock up on drugs which my wife does at the smallest sign of a sniffle i have told her many times that pumping your self full of drugs is not good all the time but you can't change a habit of a lifetime they really love going to see the doctors here they have a license to print money oops i mean prescriptions.

Ok Stokevin, and now what you’re been waiting for, an exact answer to your question, minus the crap.

I have a flu jab every year. The recommended time of year for the influenza vaccine in Thailand is either in September, October and definitely no later than November.

Flu vaccines can be obtained at any of the main hospitals in Chiang Mai. Just walk in, no need to make an appointment or book the vaccination.

Of course the price increases each year. Last year I paid 700 baht, so this year it should be somewhere around that price.

When you visit the hospital, ask for the combined bird flu and regular flu vaccine.

:jap:

Yeah, its a real bummer, I got it a fortnight ago, and kindly passed it onto my wife...who ended up on Ram for 2 days. I actually think I caught it at Ram when I was there for another ailment a few days before <_<

It does not feel the same as flu back in the UK, I can't remember falling asleep every 5 minutes when I have had flu before. :blink:

Now I wear a mask if out in public places, :ph34r: especally hospitals, I would not wish this on my worst enemy :bah:

Don't know if anyone else finds the same; but since doing regular sinus irrigation I find I get a lot less colds/flu than I used to here.

I started about a year or so ago after a visiting uber healthy Swedish friend came to stay.

She swore it helped keep her healthy and fit.

I must admit I feel way better than I used to and have missed all the bugs going around - "touch wood".

Don't know if anyone else finds the same; but since doing regular sinus irrigation I find I get a lot less colds/flu than I used to here.

I started about a year or so ago after a visiting uber healthy Swedish friend came to stay.

I must admit I feel way better than I used to and have missed all the bugs going around - "touch wood".

What does this actually involve? It kind of sounds like you drive a tractor up inside your nose with a plough or harrow attached to it. The mind boggles !

I actually think I caught it at Ram when I was there for another ailment a few days before <_<

Sounds about right...go to hospital to get a flu shot and contact flu as you walk through the door. unsure.gif

Best know exactly where you're going and make a B line straight there, don't pass go, don't collect 200 baht and definitely don't sit next to anyone.

I wouldn't fancy waiting for a flu shot in Dr Tawchai's clinic on Loi Kroh.

Why don't they do home flu vaccine visits?

It is genetic provided. (Flu) virusses enter everyone's body but genes provide how the body react.

http://www.telegraph...t-flu-gene.html

It's not bad for healthy people to get the flu but for people with a disease and older people it's wise to get an anti flu vaccination. Newest vaccination come available every year around april-mai.

It is known there is an incubation periode from around 36 houres where some signs show up. You can start then to ease the illness a bit by gargle with salt water and taking some extra vitamines.

Edited by Joop50

What does this actually involve? It kind of sounds like you drive a tractor up inside your nose with a plough or harrow attached to it. The mind boggles !

Basically you flush out your sinuses with slightly salty water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

http://www.yoga-age.com/asanas/neti.html

I don't think I'll try the Sutra Neti though!!

You can get the flu vaccine at Dr. Morgan's Hang Dong Clinic. Do a search on this forum for Health Care Medical Clinic or simply Dr. Morgan...wait here it is listed on her website...590 Baht.

http://www.healthcaremedicalclinic.com/index.php

Great little place! (But you can go right by it unless you are looking for it)...

I was in & out in 5 minute - She was great and spoke perfect english.

Shot was 620 baht (30 baht more was the office visit fee)

Thanks

Edited by sfokevin

Ok Stokevin, and now what you're been waiting for, an exact answer to your question, minus the crap.

I believe you only need a bird flu innoculation once. A bit like small pox, once your innoculated you're covered. However, the general flu changes course every year and a new vaccination is needed. So first up go for it.

Ive had inoculations as a child, but nothing for the past 33 years, not even a check up. Seems like everyone around me gets sick but me. :huh:

Now that ive said that , i'll probably get sick now.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9230243? This study indicates low glutathione (usually indicating a weakened immune system) may result in more likelihood of severe flu like symptoms.

"NAC treatment was well tolerated and resulted in a significant decrease in the frequency of influenza-like episodes, severity, and length of time confined to bed."

My main reference book lists various reasons why unrefined brown rice is so healthy. Unrefined meaning the coating is intact. This rice bran has over 70 antioxidants in it! The list also includes glutathione peroxidase.

So if that is the same thing, then perhaps you only need to ensure you're eating good brown rice! Since lots of GABA brown rice is easily available in chiang mai, perhaps you won't need your supplement any more!

Ive had inoculations as a child, but nothing for the past 33 years, not even a check up. Seems like everyone around me gets sick but me. :huh:

Now that ive said that , i'll probably get sick now.

This is it though. Plenty of studies have revealed that those who have vaccinations are just as likely, if not more so, to get what it is they're being 'protected' against. I think this is the case with flu too. Getting the jab certainly does not mean you won't get it.

Then there's the question of exactly what they put in these vaccines. Sounds like a horror story to me.

One site i use a lot simply suggest one makes sure they get a lot of vitamin D, and you're likely to miss the flu going around.

One member of my family has taken cod liver oil capsules for years, and never ever gets any flu going around, and he's in england, where flu is so commonplace.

I'd say there are plenty of more healthy ways of dealing with the flu than getting those pharmaceutical company products injected into your bloodstream and attacking your immune system.

My sister has been going to the doctor since her teens, getting medication for things that could've been cured by simply eating right and getting atleast a little bit of exercise.

She hates vegetables and her idea of exercise use to be walking to 7-11 to buy a donut. Nowadays she walks more and is eating better and her migraines have gotten much better.

I always thought that medications weaken the immune system and more like putting a bandage over an ailment, instead of actually getting to the root cause of it. Then ends up putting you into a never ending loop of medical cocktails, to alleviate symptoms caused by other medications. After a while your body starts to be dependent on artificial means, and thats exactly what pharmaceutical companies want.

even though I was exposed to this bug over a week ago, so far I have no symptoms.

No disrespect intended, but I have been repeatedly exposed to it over the last month and have no symptoms yet even though I am not taking any medication or even taking any placeboes. The fact that you have not come down with it is not really evidence of anything.

This is it though. Plenty of studies have revealed that those who have vaccinations are just as likely, if not more so, to get what it is they're being 'protected' against.

Name three.

Heh, and should i not do your own work for you, will that simply mean that it simply is not true??

As it happens, i'll merely post in a link that shows the Institute of Medicine, which is funded by the pharmaceutical companies, admitting various health problems vaccines pose to those who receive them.

That should do for now. If you're interested in finding out more about vaccines, then this link will set you on your way. If not, then anything i say or do will not convince you, and that's fine. It's not my job to convince you.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033447_Institute_of_Medicine_vaccines.html

Does she run an appointment system or can you just turn up during opening hours?

even though I was exposed to this bug over a week ago, so far I have no symptoms.

No disrespect intended, but I have been repeatedly exposed to it over the last month and have no symptoms yet even though I am not taking any medication or even taking any placeboes. The fact that you have not come down with it is not really evidence of anything.

Yeah, I think I mentioned something to that effect. Maybe use the whole quote next time? Once again no disrespect intended, but the follow on sentence was pertinent.

...and even though I was exposed to this bug over a week ago, so far I have no symptoms. Just one case, I know, but not unexpected based on the above study.