Rural Post Office

IsaanAussie

I thought this was a story that I should relay to others living in the "sticks".

Over the last nine months or so we have had several items of mail simply not arrive. A few birthday and Christmas presents from Australia and a number of pieces of correspondence from within Thailand. The mail service is erratic and slow, sometimes taking as much as three weeks for mail from Bangkok to reach us.

The trigger point was when a present from my mother to my wife and finally another to myself didnt arrive. Into the car and off to the post office. We asked to see the guy in charge and he was plain rude offering no help at all claiming that unless mail was sent registered he couldn't do anything. He didnt take our details or check in the back room.

So I emailed the customer service address at Thai Post and explained the situation. Several weeks went past and no response until today. We had a visit from the second in charge of the provincial postal centre. At the start the talk was about how many points of distribution hence opportunities for something to be accidentally lost. I responded I understand that but so many times? He asked many questions and took copious notes finally asking if we wanted him to sack the local guys or have them pay restitution. We said no, as tempting as is was to say yes. Then he went and spoke to a number of people in the village before he left.

Next stop the local post office, the report back to the provincial chief and also to his superior.

Maybe we will hear from him again or not. But I have a smile on my face thinking about the next meeting in the post office. Get out of that you, you, you Thai Postman!

The take out is if it happens to you, do what I did. The mail items are gone but I got the satisfaction of knowing they do care about their customer service and will investigate it for you.

IA

Edited by IsaanAussie

See my posts in General Topics, Mail forwarding to T'land from Aust. Discussion Of problems and a solution I use. Renting a Post Office Box. Very Happy ,now.Interested in your response. I suspect we have experienced many of the same problems .Fortunately, I have a wonderful relationship with our local Post Office. I get superb treatment from the staff, there

Edited by afarang

Unfortunate, it happened me in Bkk, and Nonthaburi as well, not recieving mails, especially when my mother included in it something intended to my son, like a colouring book, or such, what someone at the post office might considered as a possible value. I would say probably 1 out of 5 times we got those mysterious situations,

And now on the sticks so far the things arent worse ( knock on wood), especially now that the mailman knows where we are, and things arent left with the phuyai baan.

I've been luckier over the years ( I've never had a loss) , but I would be careful not to cause a loss of face of the postal workers. The first thing I would do (I did) is to get some small cards printed up with your address in Thai and send then to people that send mail to you. Have them tape a card to the box so there is no confusion about the address. The second thing I would do is next time you vist the post office be all smiles and friendly and give them some fruit from your farm and buy some small cakes as a gift and thank them for looking out for your mail.

What you did feels better, I even enjoyed hearing about it, but it will be a couple of months or more before you know if you "won".

Good luck.

I've been luckier over the years ( I've never had a loss) , but I would be careful not to cause a loss of face of the postal workers. The first thing I would do (I did) is to get some small cards printed up with your address in Thai and send then to people that send mail to you. Have them tape a card to the box so there is no confusion about the address. The second thing I would do is next time you vist the post office be all smiles and friendly and give them some fruit from your farm and buy some small cakes as a gift and thank them for looking out for your mail.

What you did feels better, I even enjoyed hearing about it, but it will be a couple of months or more before you know if you "won".

Good luck.

I understand your point of view and agree that it is a more Thai approach adding everyone here should be careful about offending anyone. But I am not a Thai and I follow a different path. The whole win lose thing here isn't about face IMHO, its about petty jealousy. If you dont play, you dont win or lose and neither do they. What has happened to me and others is theft, that simple. These people are paid postal workers not waitresses or chefs that I reward for good service. I have never gone looking for thieves and preemptively rewarding them for not stealing from me, nor have do I believe that I need to offer bribes to people whether I know them or not.

Three things wind my clock, thieves, liars and bum sniffers. Those are things I was raised not to do and I can function within Thai cultural rules holding those beliefs as true.

IA

We live in a smaller village outside CM, been at this site for 15 years. We started losing mail from overseas about 10 years ago. Letters are normally delivered, no problem, but packages are near 100%, never received. I approached the mail man a couple times about lost/no delivery of package, and he dummies up big time. When I visit with him, he is a shifty eyed, tongue tied individual. The neighbors told me that they had found several opened packages at a local dump, addressed to various people in our area.

We have told everyone concerned to only send packages via registered mail, we have never knowingly, missed anything.

Good luck.

I understand your point of view and agree that it is a more Thai approach adding everyone here should be careful about offending anyone. But I am not a Thai and I follow a different path. The whole win lose thing here isn't about face IMHO, its about petty jealousy. If you dont play, you dont win or lose and neither do they. What has happened to me and others is theft, that simple. These people are paid postal workers not waitresses or chefs that I reward for good service. I have never gone looking for thieves and preemptively rewarding them for not stealing from me, nor have do I believe that I need to offer bribes to people whether I know them or not.

Three things wind my clock, thieves, liars and bum sniffers. Those are things I was raised not to do and I can function within Thai cultural rules holding those beliefs as true.

IA

+1

We weren't home when the postman came to deliver a registered mail from Singapore, my neightbour handed it over to me when we came home. I asked if she sign for it ? No, she replied..."The postman signed, i didn't...i just receive on behalf :) "

I told the postman the proper proceedure on how a "registered" mail should be handle the next time i met him, if nobody's home, you should leave a postal collection note, it is an official proceedure and i will go and collect it in town.

"I'm saving you the trip !" he replied....

:blink:-_-

Good luck.

IA

+1

We weren't home when the postman came to deliver a registered mail from Singapore, my neightbour handed it over to me when we came home. I asked if she sign for it ? No, she replied..."The postman signed, i didn't...i just receive on behalf :) "

I told the postman the proper proceedure on how a "registered" mail should be handle the next time i met him, if nobody's home, you should leave a postal collection note, it is an official proceedure and i will go and collect it in town.

"I'm saving you the trip !" he replied....

:blink:-_-

I renewed my Passport last month, and when it arrived by registered mail we weren't home so they dropped it off at my wife's cousin's house, no signature required.

The license plate for my tractor arrived by registered mail and we weren't home again. Had a note in the mailbox to go get a registered letter at the post office.

When I asked about this at the post office they said they knew the letter from Kubota was very important so took no chances. The passport envelope didn't seem important to them in spite of the Government of Canada, Passport Department in block letters all over it.

TIT

I also get about 1 issue a month of a weekly magazine I subscribe to. I don't think anyone at the post office reads the Economist so the guy in the sky only knows where they go.

I didn't make an issue of it, it's kind of like yelling at the dog. You only feel worse later because the dog doesn't understand why he's getting yelled at

My brother was in a giving mood one year and had National Geographic sent to us, unannounced. We received zero over the 12 month time frame. They never miss cramming the mail box with junk mail, probably a second paying job that they do while on official pay. The pathetic part is, I am so accustomed to this and other like things, that back in the real world, we would raise holy ned about, I don't even think twice about anymore.

I could wax on/wax off about this forever. Two points for me are critical and not relevant to which country we are in. One, it is either theft or laziness, secondly, we all get apathetic about many small things because it is easier when the shutters go up over a minor thing. But in this case the importance to my mother and thought she put into the small gifts and greetings out rules any chance of letting this slide. My clock got properly wound.

RBH is correct on registered mail and collection notes being left. Where we lived before in Suphan Buri the postal service also would not deliver parcels by bike, you had to collect them after a note was left. It seems to me from the dismissive nature of the local post master that they are on the wrong side of the law here and that other post offices are either straight or just as bent. When you find a bent one, act. I have never had reason to doubt Thai post before moving here.

Getting important mail sent by EMS or registered mail is a smart move and advice I will follow, in fact have already acted on. But I am sure it erks you all as much as me that others must spend extra money to cover the corrupt practices here.

Now, an admission. I said before that I didn't play the mind games here. Well to me I didn't, I made a statement of fact. In the email I left no doubt as to my background here in Thailand and the level of people I dealt with during those early days. Lets just say senior diplomat. I have no doubt that influenced the response from Bangkok and afterwards level of investigator that visited us, the 2IC for the province. He told us as much and offered to sack the locals. Thieves deserve to loose their jobs and pension rights to me, but I am also a realist and this is Thailand. I wish it was different and if everyone spoke up, maybe some day it will be.

IA

I could wax on/wax off about this forever. Two points for me are critical and not relevant to which country we are in. One, it is either theft or laziness, secondly, we all get apathetic about many small things because it is easier when the shutters go up over a minor thing. But in this case the importance to my mother and thought she put into the small gifts and greetings out rules any chance of letting this slide. My clock got properly wound.

RBH is correct on registered mail and collection notes being left. Where we lived before in Suphan Buri the postal service also would not deliver parcels by bike, you had to collect them after a note was left. It seems to me from the dismissive nature of the local post master that they are on the wrong side of the law here and that other post offices are either straight or just as bent. When you find a bent one, act. I have never had reason to doubt Thai post before moving here.

Getting important mail sent by EMS or registered mail is a smart move and advice I will follow, in fact have already acted on. But I am sure it erks you all as much as me that others must spend extra money to cover the corrupt practices here.

Now, an admission. I said before that I didn't play the mind games here. Well to me I didn't, I made a statement of fact. In the email I left no doubt as to my background here in Thailand and the level of people I dealt with during those early days. Lets just say senior diplomat. I have no doubt that influenced the response from Bangkok and afterwards level of investigator that visited us, the 2IC for the province. He told us as much and offered to sack the locals. Thieves deserve to loose their jobs and pension rights to me, but I am also a realist and this is Thailand. I wish it was different and if everyone spoke up, maybe some day it will be.

IA

Fantastic . you suggest you are an Ozzie. Your rant is totally out of line .This is NOT your country. You are a guest in this country. If you cannot cope with the way things happen here ,using the vernaculer-piss off. I gave you a valid. workable solution ,which sadly ,you chose to totally ignore. Instead ,you chose to rant and rave, on something which you have no right to do. Not happy - piss off, this is not your country, and let us ,who learn to live within the parameters,enjoy our lives. I am mightily sick and tired of farang who critize , a country in which they are a guest. Don't like it ? piss off. I repeat I gave you a totally workable solution ,Which you chose to TOTALLY ignore.

IA

Fantastic . you suggest you are an Ozzie. Your rant is totally out of line .This is NOT your country. You are a guest in this country. If you cannot cope with the way things happen here ,using the vernaculer-piss off. I gave you a valid. workable solution ,which sadly ,you chose to totally ignore. Instead ,you chose to rant and rave, on something which you have no right to do. Not happy - piss off, this is not your country, and let us ,who learn to live within the parameters,enjoy our lives. I am mightily sick and tired of farang who critize , a country in which they are a guest. Don't like it ? piss off. I repeat I gave you a totally workable solution ,Which you chose to TOTALLY ignore.

I truly don't understand why this was allowed on the forum. If you feel you need to swear at someone go find a mirror. There is no place for it here. You are telling members what to do with four letter words and it is unacceptable. From this point on if there is not a complete and specific apology to the members I will never assist you or participate in any topic you inititate. This kind of response based on someone not completely following your advice is completely rude and disrespectful. As you said you are "sick and tired" and now you probably have left no doubtrs in the mind of the members that you are in fact all of that. Get control of your life and actions and words and take them somewhere else that isn't as civilized as we are trying to keep this forum. Please and thank you. Forget the Ford For now and Forever

IA]

We have sent parcels regularly toThailand ,Mobile Phones ,Camera, money, even Bank Cards and lost nothing but we always write the address in Thai.

IA

I'll just assume you have had some kind of breakdown. Whatever country I live in, I cannot accept someone stealing from me

IA

must have been 'beer o clock' time? whistling.gif

Been renting a PO Box in the sticks for 8 years now and only one missing item, a registered letter for a friend (using my PO Box) from Greece, according to the tracking it disappeared between Bangkok and Udon Thani. A little inconvenient but no big deal!

But it was a big deal when the rent went up by 50 Baht this year to 250. :jap: :lol:

Edited by bdenner

IA

I chose not to read your solution when ever/what ever you posted ! You know why ? "Where got time !!!" That's how we Singaporean say it ! I'm happily reading this topic here and you want me to find your post in General Topics, why don't you offer a link here !?!!

You done this too on the topic of poisoning fish in a pond....and IA is known to have a short fuse...and glad he's cool on this.

The rate you're going, you should probably change AFARANG to ATHAI. Because where i came from, we are brought up to be better mannered, know what's rude and how to be polite...and civilized.

We live in Thailand now...True ! But doesn't mean we have to live like a Thai and have their mentality. We all blend in to this culture and enviroment to adapt, not to be lost.

Well, after having been put back in my (post office) box a couple of days ago, but not really knowing what I did to offend so greatly, I chased the general comments thread down. Now I am completely confused as my fellow Aussie basically said much the same things as me. Mate I meant you no offence. Appears RBH is right and Aussies have short fuses?

To bring the thread back to farming, I did get a delivery of strawberry plants by post a few weeks ago. Now these were pretty battered and bruised as if they had been shaken quite vigourously. Does that mean that mail sorters in Thailand are taught to shake all packages? :lol: Maybe they can tell what is inside by doing that? Maybe they dont bother opening anything that doesnt sound "valueable" or "interesting".

I am almost motivated to learn how to write Thai. Then I could label all packages as "preshaken, nothing of value". Or perhaps to deter any light fingered Loueys "Wrapped by Ghost, sent by post". Could even put "Offer a pigs head before opening, contents cursed!"

Hopefully that has lightened things up a bit, how about we all do the same! A real storm on a stamp.

Well, after having been put back in my (post office) box a couple of days ago, but not really knowing what I did to offend so greatly, I chased the general comments thread down. Now I am completely confused as my fellow Aussie basically said much the same things as me. Mate I meant you no offence. Appears RBH is right and Aussies have short fuses?

To bring the thread back to farming, I did get a delivery of strawberry plants by post a few weeks ago. Now these were pretty battered and bruised as if they had been shaken quite vigourously. Does that mean that mail sorters in Thailand are taught to shake all packages? :lol: Maybe they can tell what is inside by doing that? Maybe they dont bother opening anything that doesnt sound "valueable" or "interesting".

I am almost motivated to learn how to write Thai. Then I could label all packages as "preshaken, nothing of value". Or perhaps to deter any light fingered Loueys "Wrapped by Ghost, sent by post". Could even put "Offer a pigs head before opening, contents cursed!"

Hopefully that has lightened things up a bit, how about we all do the same! A real storm on a stamp.

Cool .Agreed .My apologies .I just get very upset when when farang whinge and whine and bitch and moan ,about things All the time. I mean it it's only the bloody Poms who are supposed to do that!!Sometimes ,I can do nothing about ,so I do not bother mentioning them ,like corruption ,poor driving. The list goes on .But I am a positive person, I give lots of practical ,down to earth advice, like getting a Post Office Box.Cured all my problems with missing mail. I cannot do links .I am in my 70's ,got my first computer 5 years ago .Self taught. Not a techy. Sorry. Gave you a "link" .Sure it required 3 clicks of the mouse to get there .Too bloody Hard?Sad. Because it was another Ozzie who had the same problem. That is why I wanted you to go there. But never mind.Too often ,farang carry on about the "results" ,NEVER attempting to understand the "causes", I like to look at "causes" , to try and understand a problem.To find a solution, if one can be found.Finally, some may not be aware ,the Your local Post Office is the last place ,where you find , Govt. employees. From the P.O. to your village are sub-contractors. That is where all the problems emanate from. Not the P.O..Sub-contractors,They are NOT Govt. employees.

Edited by afarang

IA

I chose not to read your solution when ever/what ever you posted ! You know why ? "Where got time !!!" That's how we Singaporean say it ! I'm happily reading this topic here and you want me to find your post in General Topics, why don't you offer a link here !?!!

You done this too on the topic of poisoning fish in a pond....and IA is known to have a short fuse...and glad he's cool on this.

The rate you're going, you should probably change AFARANG to ATHAI. Because where i came from, we are brought up to be better mannered, know what's rude and how to be polite...and civilized.

We live in Thailand now...True ! But doesn't mean we have to live like a Thai and have their mentality. We all blend in to this culture and enviroment to adapt, not to be lost.

:thumbsup::D