Bangkok Golf

jeffgood

Having perused the golf section on TV I have yet to find a thread which exists to allows players to share their experiences on courses throughout Bangkok. This would be helpful for researching new clubs an playing options for Bangkok residents. I expect that this has not been done as prices and service standards are constantly changing, however to get things started:

Thanont Golf Course.

Situated in the Minburi area approximately 50 minutes drive from Central Bangkok (Mid Sukhumvit).

Current Offer - 850 Baht green fees after 11am (weekends) +250 Caddy fee.

Excellent course for beginners with wide fairways and mid-large greens. Water hazards only really affecting the very 'wild' drives. The course is fair and suitable for higher handicappers (90's - 100). Like most Bangkok golf courses it can be busy at the weekends.

Edited by jeffgood

Windsor Golf Course

Minburi area, take the 304 towards Chachengsao. Approx 50 mins from Central Bangkok.

Green fee is approx 1,000 after 11am on the weekend if you hold a HSBC or K-Bank credit card. Caddy fee is 250.

I played courses C and D. They have 4 sets of 9. The course is beautifully maintained and the holes are nicely varied. However there is ALOT of water, almost every hole has a water hazard. The course has a high level of difficulty with some fairways being extremely narrow with water on both sides. The Lakeside course (D) is particularly tricky and is best suited to lower handicapped players. The course offers a good variation of elevations, slopes and hills, with some tees substantially higher than the target green. There is also considerable walking between the holes so a cart is recommended. My caddy was very inexperienced, not good.

On the hole this is an attractive course with good variation however mid to higher handicappers may find it frustratingly difficult.

Edited by jeffgood

This thread isn't quite going as I envisaged, does no one else play golf in Bangkok and want to share course recommendations etc?

Anyway, I'll persevere:

Unico Grand

KrungThepKreeta Road, take Rama 9 out of town only 15-20 minutes drive (in light traffic).

Weekend green fee 1,600 Baht, 680 Baht for 9 holes after 3:30pm. Caddy fee 250 Baht.

The fairways are mostly narrow, straight and flat. There are strips of water that flank most fairways so wayward drives may find water fairly easily. Overall I found the course pretty boring with little variation between holes. The narrow fairways are a bit frustrating although lower handicappers will not have a problem. The club house facilities are nice. IMO the best feature of this course is it's location, it is one of the closer courses to central Bangkok.

This thread isn't quite going as I envisaged, does no one else play golf in Bangkok and want to share course recommendations etc?

Anyway, I'll persevere:

It's a great idea for a thread, unfortunately I've not played any recent golf around Bkk so can't give up to date info. Hopefully others will come along with their thoughts soon....

Obviously I would rather pay less than more, but am open to any suggestions. I am a fairly high handicapper though (shoot around 88-89), so would prefer somewhere not too difficult. I usually pay around 1,200-1,800 for green fees... Thanks.

With that hcp in mind I would go for a course where you can keep the ball in play all the time. So skip the watery courses and the ones that are too difficult.

Maybe I would try sunday afternoons at Panya Indra. I think they have a special on sundays after 12 or something. In the region of 1400. Beware of slow play.... I personally like that course because it's designed by Ronald Fream (who's designed Montpellier Masanne, but that's another story..) who always creates nice green areas with undulated greens and of bunkers.

Windsor sounds like a grand deal at 1000 after 11 am. I dont think you can find a better deal to be honest - unless you're prepared to add 30 mins to your trip.