Son Of London Deputy Mayor Dies After Full Moon Party

Lite Beer

The article says this:

Police said here today that Andrew John Lister, 28, son of Edward Lister, (right) the former Tory chief of Wandsworth Council, collapsed while drinking with friends in a guest house on Haad Rin Beach last Monday….the morning after the island's monthly Full Moon Party.

As Lister collapsed at 6 am it appeared he had been drinking all night.

Seems it was the morning after the party???? That article describes a pretty crazy scene...which I'm sure is about how it is.

No they were asleep in the room, 3 of them, one woke up and saw him frothing at the mouth. It was the night after full moon.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Britt dies in Thailand likely because of his over indulgence and we have to read a story that largely talks negatively about the area of Thailand where he died.

All nations have certain quirks in their culture but is not taking responsibility for ones own actions and/or needing to lay blame on others a common trait among the Britts?

I agree fully

For sure no one forced him to do, whatever caused his death.

In the Netherlands you also can buy drugs. Now all Dutch people are bad? For sure not, as also there no one is forced to visit a coffeeshop.

I have seen it so many times in Cambodia: Some western tourist don't have any limits and nearly each month, while I was living there, it had one dead tourist because of drugs. I have seen tourists, taking 5, 6 or even more xtc's one evening. Is Cambodia responsible for this? No, for sure not. We are all well-educated and we all should know, that taking such quantities is nearly suicide.

I also like alchol, but I'm not an alcoholic

I also like to smoke sometimes (since many years) but I'm not drug-addicted

But because of those who don't have limits and a brain like like little kids, I have to deal with all the rules and laws depending to alcohol and drugs.

And here with this case: it seems, this boy even not took drugs but was simply drinking too much, but now here's the focus on the bad drug dealers in Thailand. Strange...

My condolences to the young mans family

The article says this:

Police said here today that Andrew John Lister, 28, son of Edward Lister, (right) the former Tory chief of Wandsworth Council, collapsed while drinking with friends in a guest house on Haad Rin Beach last Monday….the morning after the island's monthly Full Moon Party.

As Lister collapsed at 6 am it appeared he had been drinking all night.

Seems it was the morning after the party???? That article describes a pretty crazy scene...which I'm sure is about how it is.

No they were asleep in the room, 3 of them, one woke up and saw him frothing at the mouth. It was the night after full moon.

Where was this printed? I hope this is not a bad attempt at a joke.

I've found some actual news reports of the death but nothing about his or his friends being asleep or his frothing at the mouth.

http://m.dailymail.co.uk/mobile/news/article.html?articleID=2038671

"no evidence of drugs" .......and the kids (yes, 28 years old is a kid, when he acts so immaturely) - by their own admission, were drinking booze and beer all night. Whomever said 'no evidence of drugs' is an abject idiot or is covering up, big time.

That's like looking at a pond full of fish and saying, "no evidence of living things in this pond."

Maybe he didn't die of alcohol poisoning, but it sure is a likely cause. Though Brits don't recognize 'alcohol poisoning' as a medical condition, as it's so prevalent in their culture, indeed in most cultures, including Thailand's. 'Can't see the forest for the trees' - fits the scenario.

Sorry to hear the kid died, but maybe it's a wake-up call to Brits and Thais and others who drink too much, that alcohol kills. Meanwhile, hemp (which is harmless) is classified as a Class 5 illegal drug and can land you in jail (in the US and Thailand), yet 40% alcohol moonshine is sold in every mom and pop shop in Thailand.

Really ??

R.I.P

- Just love this article, well spiced with the typical sensationalism about a certain "hot spot" where mostly young people from nations all over the the planet, "let go" for a night, so in the future anyone dying anywhere near Ko Phagan, this "shameful drug users trap", where people have raving parties once, twice a month, will certainly have died from the "ill affects" this "evil island" is radiating across the the universe of late victorian conservatism and high, closed collar conditioned and preoccupied perception.

Go and see for yourself what is wrong "sodom & gomorrah" it's only in the eye of the beholder, they are "wong"!

Love the last two lines of the daily mail report how do they know this was the reporter at the last full moon party

Me thinks the comment is more to covet their assess against any false reports

Isn't "coveting asses" one of the deadly sins?

When reading the article I had a bit of a feeling that the author was seizing this unfortunate death as a means to condemn Thailand somehow by putting the blame on the party.

Welcome to Andrew Drummond's modus operandi.

I do not have a modus operandi. It depends on the story. Having been informed that the death occured after a full moon party on Koh Phangnan the newspaper also wanted copy on what happens at these full moon parties.

What is stated is I believe a very accurate account of what does happen and is supported by the FCO advisory. I have been to these occasions but Gavin Hill is best qualified because apart from the local residents he attended several in succession and filmed all aspects of them.

The police stated Andrew Lister had been drinking with friends and they attended at 6 am. Until all pm's are completed everything is pure speculation. The picture of the drugs menu is purely an illustration and it is made clear in copy that drugs are not sold by menu now. Having said that the amount of drugs and variety is I am informed greater than ever. Drugs are relevant to the party, but police, say, there is no evidence they are relevant to Andrew's death.

Reports like these do not deter tourists. Kids tend to go looking for excitement. But they might make them more aware of the potential problems which, incidentally are mentioned in more than a few backpacker guide books.

Having said that there is nothing wrong with a reminder every now and then.

Edited by andrewdrummond

You can go to a Full Moon Party and leave totally unscathed.

If somewhat less able to hear for a few weeks.

Been there myself, and don't care to go back,

boring music, too loud, and surrounded by too many boorish blokes.

This is far from the only place you can get drugs, get drunk, or be excessive

in Thailand, UK, or anywhere else that isn't strictly muslim etc.

The bottom line is;

this guy may or may not have had a congenital condition, PM should tell,

but his own excesses will be the likely trigger for his death one way or another.

The binge drinking culture in the UK likely has to be a contributing factor also.

In this case, no one called " Time gentlemen." at closing hour,

and so apparently they kept on drinking.

Bottom line; you make poor choices anywhere and you can die,

the Full Moon Party is just one of millions of places to make poor choices.

Young men in their 20's are known to make poor choices more often than other age groups.

Edited by animatic

A Britt dies in Thailand likely because of his over indulgence and we have to read a story that largely talks negatively about the area of Thailand where he died.

That's how you make a living as an farang journalist in Thailand. Need to exploit and sensationalize every situation as no one is really interested in this place back home.

This is not unique to Thailand nor to full moon parties. young people die tragically at parties in the UK, Europe, the USA and in most other developed countries. Its tragic but its a fact.

This tragic event is no different --- it has resulted in a premature death and has a family left grieving. People should consider that before posting.

Did this young man overindulge, did he 'do drugs'?

It all matters not, he is dead.

Not the first and sadly will not be the last.

Edited by Gers1873

....son of Edward Lister, (right)...

Is Edward Lister the guy with the Nike sneakers?

It is sir Edward Lister's son who has died that is why the British Embassy have been so quick to get involved in having the body repatriated so quickly. It is my understanding that there is a deceased brit in the morgue on Samui and has been for a very long time but nobody has come forward to pay the 60,000 baht charges so he can be released for burial Pity the British Embassy have not been so quick in dealing with that situation I am afraid it is a touch of the Old boys club due to the deceased fathers position as a Sir and as London's deputy mayor.

Are there ways to simply look at a body externally and determine a heart attack?

I am just a little suspicious of the belief it was a heart attack without any type of autopsy. Also a little suspicious that the parents are so quick to deny over indulgence given it appears their son was out all night partying at a full moon party. Who knows, maybe he was a pretty straight laced kid with an undiagnosed illness and the partying was too much for the underlying illness but just strikes me as odd they are coming to these conclusions so quickly unless they know things that haven't been reported.

It is sir Edward Lister's son who has died that is why the British Embassy have been so quick to get involved in having the body repatriated so quickly. It is my understanding that there is a deceased brit in the morgue on Samui and has been for a very long time but nobody has come forward to pay the 60,000 baht charges so he can be released for burial Pity the British Embassy have not been so quick in dealing with that situation I am afraid it is a touch of the Old boys club due to the deceased fathers position as a Sir and as London's deputy mayor.

Be interesting to see if there is an autopsy done here in Thailand as I believe needs to be done by law. If he is sent back to the UK then I suspect there isn't any law saying there needs to be an autopsy there given the suspicious death happened in Thailand.

Edited by Nisa

"On the mornings after the full moon parties I accompanied the British Honorary Consul. The first question he would ask was: ‘How many rapes do we have today?' Girls in skimpy bikinis, glazed, dazed and glassy eyed would be swaying in the streets. Scores of party-goers passed out on the beach, stepped over by others - slumped, effectively unconscious and vulnerable. Newly-qualified, young doctors and nurses would be rushed off their feet from the early hours on ... struggling to cope with alcohol poisoning, drug overdoses, wounds - from stepping on broken glass to being burned by jumping through hoops of fire and over flaming ropes, and from fighting - often attacks from local men, many with reputations for using violence against foreigners."

Sounds like the perfect place for an 18 year old on a gap year. Good character forming stuff for those that survive the island and the boat trip in unseaworthy vessels bought second hand from Afghan refugees.

Young otherwise healthy people die from alcohol poisoning all the time in any country, even without other drugs onboard, although other drugs can compound the effect of alcohol. Ecstasy is known to dehydrate people and can raise body temp, among other things.

This death should not be blamed on Thailand, though there's lots of others quite related to Thai safety standards and incompetence.

Well probably the family are in shock so i wouldn't take too seriously their comments at this time, however, the chances of excessive drinking is high and nobody's to blame. The son was at that age and anyone interested in going to those full moon parties have to be interested in getting hammered.

I just didn't know that there was such as position as Deputy Mayor.

at the island....after a full moon party...last thing a party banger would do is sitting drinking in a 12 dollar hotel room....

sitting in hotel room because do something that so others can't see what they are doing....

drugs in thailand....everybody knows the risk and high penalties,unfortenly you can almost get drugs anywhere in thailand,specially the place where this young men went.

sorry for the lost and peace to his familly....maybey if things like this happens more whit foreigners whit a well know familly the authorities of thailand will end parties like this,because everybody knows that drugs in thailand can put you in jail long time....and knows that the laws and penalties are high.....but also everybody knows that you can get guaranteed drugs on a full moon party....so who's the blame finally?

You are sooo jumping to conclusions. Tell us more about yourself.

I'd say it is more likely that they had a nightcap at the hotel before going to sleep.

You'd say.....it's like the other guy said..Do you really think that the truth will ever come out? There're some places in Thailand like Pai near Mae Hong Son, where lots of foreigners die overdosed on heroin.

It's not a secret that all drugs are also available on Ko Panghan.

Their social status will enable them to come up with whatever had caused his death. RIP young man.

A friend of mine had to identify a guy at the hospital in Pai some years ago. He had to see nine other dead bodies of foreigners, before he could identify his mate.

Alcohol and H. is a deadly mixture, not saying that this caused the young guy's death. The sad thing is that the Thai authority do know what's going on there, but do they really want to loose their income there?

There's never an autopsy in Thailand. Tourists just had a heart attack............

A poor guy's death wouldn't even be mentioned here............................jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

Tell me this, if drugs are openly sold, and this sold called party is so widely known, why hasn't the Thai Government stepped in to shut all this BS down before this?:whistling:

Is this another case of being paid off under the table to turn the other way :bah:

Edited by PingManDan

Agree - Thailand is not resposible for his death

All nations have certain quirks in their culture but is not taking responsibility for ones own actions and/or needing to lay blame on others a common trait among the Britts?

Tell me this, if drugs are openly sold, and this sold called party is so widely known, why hasn't the Thai Government stepped in to shut all this BS down before this?:whistling:

Is this another case of being paid off under the table to turn the other way :bah:

Do you think that is the case in other parts of the world too where drugs are readily available & sold openly on the streets such as the US where they have had a "war on drugs" going on for near 1/2 a century? whistling.gif

Edited by Nisa

Nisa,

Thank you for pointing this out. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one aware of this odd cultural trait. Lets see. The "British View" The world is our playground, and occasionally we elect to "Colonize" it. When good things happen, it is because White People made it so. When bad things happen, nasty Brown People have once again, proven to be "heathens." (Actually, i saw a post that called Thais "animals").

We (Brits) come to foreign lands, and hope for two coincidences. Beautiful women, and a weak economy. We rub our hands with glee knowing the floods will so impoverish thousands of farm families, that soon their lovely teen daughters will be for sale on our "Personal Playground"

If, along the way, the spoiled child of a British Diplomat dies from over-indulgence... Believe it or not...we can actually find a way to blame Brown People.

We sit in our private little kingdoms, living on the dole, judging everyone and everything that does not satisfy the three most important things we care about . "Me, me and ME"

You mock Thailand and even its slogans for Tourism. I do not remember the advertisement that says "Thailand is Perfect" ... but in your postings I do detect a whiff of "The UK Is." Long live the Queen!

Oh, I'm sorry guys, does it not feel good to have your race, culture and beliefs tossed under the bus? Does it seem unfair to many of you who are actually "stand up guys," hard working professionals, trustworthy husbands, loyal friends and responsible "family men" to be lumped together with a few misfits? Well, read the postings...that is what happens every day here from the Thai perspective.

Be interesting to see if there is an autopsy done here in Thailand as I believe needs to be done by law. If he is sent back to the UK then I suspect there isn't any law saying there needs to be an autopsy there given the suspicious death happened in Thailand.

What part of an Post Mortem was carried out on the near by Island of Koh Samui is it that you don't understand?

jb1

Do you think that is the case in other parts of the world too where drugs are readily available & sold openly on the streets such as the US where they have had a "war on drugs" going on for near 1/2 a century? whistling.gif

Nisa,

Thank you for trying to point out the incredibly obvious to this person. It is like singing to a pig...It wastes your time, and annoys the poor creature.

Really, what ARE these people thinking? (OK. they are not thinking...I know... :-)

Most people stay out all night drinking at the party. There is even after parties that start on the morning of the day after.

Nobody is pouring alcohol down the party-goers throats or forcing them to attend. Its called personal responsibility for one's own behavior.

And nobody really knows why this young man died, it could have been many things, including the possibility of natural causes. Until there is evidence, needless speculation as to cause of death can only contribute to the pain of the family if they find this thread. It's a sad thing for his family, and they must feel the loss terribly.

Well said.

Thailand is not responsible ? I think they are.

They are aware of drugs being sold openly to tourists and they could easily stop it if they wanted to . But its all about money and I'm sure that BIB is a big part of it.

What part of an Post Mortem was carried out on the near by Island of Koh Samui is it that you don't understand?

Thanks, I Obviously missed that line among this rather long article that says nothing even remotely factual about the cause of death or even a hint as to the cause of death from any medical professional.

I also recall a comment about there mentioning an autopsy is expected to be conducted in the UK. I guess that will be a second one ... maybe the folks didn't like the results of the first one and this is part of the reason for not releasing the cause of death, if it was determined as of yet. But one would think if he died of a undiagnosed illness then they wouldn't be making speculative statements and rather point to the findings in the autopsy.

But this is all speculation and simple curiosity since I can find no dates given as to when the parents made those comments, when the autopsy took place or even the date of when he died beyond it being after a full moon. The only other references to a time frame is it says the police made a statement about his death "today" and the article was written yesterday the 17th and that they were making plans to get the body back to the UK "yesterday" (Friday).

I guess the "when" in "who, what, where, when and how" of a journalism got forgot in the more important need to speak of rapes, assaults and robberies on the Island.

Edited by Nisa