Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Neeranam

Of course, what Ian means that the Thai word has a single adjectival meaning, but that its English translation has many synonyms. English is a language rich in synonyms and colorful expression. Apparently what Ian has is a combination bi-lingual dictionary and English thesaurus. Great idea, but perhaps a bit difficult to fit on a small vocabulary card for one's language deck.

Here are a few more of the Thai variants on this theme

ชัดเจนแจ่มใส chat(h) jaehn(m) jaem (l) sai ®; also 'clearly'

ชัดยิ่งกว่าชัด: 'crystal clear'

The second sounds kind of weird to me.

I think the แจ่มใส is to do with a clear sky.

I like the second one. I think I would use it if someone asked if I understood something.

I've been waiting to uncork ชัดยิ่งกว่าชัด on a trial basis too, but I can't seem to find the right opportunity.

Of course, what Ian means that the Thai word has a single adjectival meaning, but that its English translation has many synonyms. English is a language rich in synonyms and colorful expression. Apparently what Ian has is a combination bi-lingual dictionary and English thesaurus. Great idea, but perhaps a bit difficult to fit on a small vocabulary card for one's language deck.

Here are a few more of the Thai variants on this theme

ชัดเจนแจ่มใส chat(h) jaehn(m) jaem (l) sai ®; also 'clearly'

ชัดยิ่งกว่าชัด: 'crystal clear'

The second sounds kind of weird to me.

I think the แจ่มใส is to do with a clear sky.

I like the second one. I think I would use it if someone asked if I understood something.

I've been waiting to uncork ชัดยิ่งกว่าชัด on a trial basis too, but I can't seem to find the right opportunity.

Perhaps when buying a DVD movie, you could ask if it 'crystal'.

I keep this on my desktop, to rescue me when I found myself stuck in a language corner -happens all the time...

http://www.thai-language.com/dict

... being a farang, I'm always being displayed by wifey, to others, as being dumb/stupid etc

In order to attempt to explain my self-assessment of why I am seen to be a you-have-no-brain-low-life, I for example try variations of the word 'naive', as the best word to cover my failures (by trusting people) ...

...but Thai, like English, has it's myriads of synonyms too

But to balance this out, I've been sharing the learning experience with our Monk, who wants better English.

Just watch the facial expression when you throw the next bunch of similar words onto a Thai's learning table...:

see how long it takes for a Thai to cotton onto the subtle differences between:

Throughout/ThrewOut/ThrowUp (got the best reaction;

Taut/Taught/thought ;

sought/sort;

court/Court/caught;

cork/caulk;

shaw/shore(beach)/shore(reinforce);

saw(see)/saw(cut)/sore(cut)/sore(feelings)

"ล้าสมัยแล้ว" and "คร่ำครึ" both seem to cover passé nicely. More good words/terms to add to the vocabulary. Thanks.

"ตกยุค" or "หมดยุค" can be used as well but normally we use this slang word "เชย"

• Like 1

ยู โน วาย ดอนท์ ยู ไทร์ แอนด เลอร์น ทู ไรต์ อิน ไทย บัต โฟคัส อน เตอะ วาวล์ ฟอร์เมชัน

แอนด เตอะ ขนโซแนนต์ซ ฟรอม ยอร์ โอว์น แลงกวิจ แอนด วิต แธต ฌอร์ลี ยู วิลล์ สักสีด

Edited by mumjokmok
  • Like 2

ยู โน วาย ดอนท์ ยู ไทร์ แอนด เลอร์น ทู ไรต์ อิน ไทย บัต โฟคัส อน เตอะ วาวล์ ฟอร์เมชัน

แอนด เตอะ ขนโซแนนต์ซ ฟรอม ยอร์ โอว์น แลงกวิจ แอนด วิต แธต ฌอร์ลี ยู วิลล์ สักสีด

ชัด means clear or sharp so he asked was it clear ชัดใช่ไม่

Correct, and I replied ชัดยิ่งกว่าชัด meaning crystal clear.

For 280,000 baht it should be (ชัดยิ่งกว่าชัด)2

ชัด means clear or sharp so he asked was it clear ชัดใช่ไม่

Correct, and I replied ชัดยิ่งกว่าชัด meaning crystal clear.

For 280,000 baht it should be (ชัดยิ่งกว่าชัด)2

Or as I say กำลังสไตล์ instead of กำลังสอง

• Like 1

My word of the day is จอมปลวก : A termite mound

Royal Institute - 1982 จอมปลวก /จอม-ปฺลวก/ [นาม]

รังปลวกขนาดใหญ่ที่สูงเป็นจอมขึ้นไป.

Apparently จอม by itself means 'leader or chief'

I don't know why they made a shrine to it and had never seen one before, so I took some pix.

I thought that maybe the form resembled something and they thought it might bring luck in the lottery, but there was nobody around to ask and I wasn't going to start knocking on doors.

A Thai friend told me this was pretty standard in these parts, so I guess animistic beliefs are alive and well in Ranode. e0b888e0b8ade0b8a1-2-small.jpge0b888e0b8ade0b8a1-1-small.jpg

• Like 1

I thought that maybe the form resembled something and they thought it might bring luck in the lottery

My wife says yes; this is indeed the case. Looking for lucky numbers.

Maybe I should go prostate before it and ask why, after 25 years of playing, I have yet to recoup a single satang. beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

• 2 weeks later...

my word of the day is: กรุย (grui), which is a verb meaning 'pave'.

Picked it up on a tweet...และกรุยทางการพูดคุยเจรจาเพื่อดับไฟใต้ (and pave the way for official disucssion to end the 'fire in the south' (eg. the insurgency))

• 2 weeks later...

Recently my wife complained of soreness with her collar bone (clavicle). I asked her how to pronounce clavicle in Thai and her answer was "กระดูกไหปลาร้า", (gra duuk hai bplaa raa).

gra duuk = bone

hai = clay jar

bplaa raa = preserved fermented fish

So, I'm guessing, maybe the clavicle bone resembles the rim of the earthen jar used to make bplaa raa and hence the name. I'd be interested if anyone knows if this is the reason for the word.

My new word for the day is an easy one to remember. thumbsup.gif

nice one. I knew that one from from having fractured mine twice (one on both sides) in motorbike accidents, but never considered the derivation of the word.

• 1 month later...

How about a beginners thread?

There are a lot more beginners on this forum than experts or advanced.

Great idea Neeranam.

Although I've been here a while, I'm an absolute Thai language novice. sad.gif

I agree that it's a great idea too Neeranam. I would check a beginners thread often. I've lived all over the world speak, English, French, Spanish fluently. I used to pick languages up a lot quicker when I was younger, but lived in China for a year and really battled with the characters and the intonation. I'm a total beginner both on this forum and with the Thai language. I personally would be up for any help u could offer. Coming to live permanently in LOS mid next year. Cheers Mikey

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

new word of the day

Star fruit!!!

มะเฟือง

มะเฟือง maH feuuangM speaker.gif Royal Institute - 1982 มะเฟือง ๑ /มะ-เฟือง/ [นาม] ชื่อไม้ต้นชนิด Averrhoa carambola Linn. ในวงศ์ Averrhoaceae ผลเป็นเฟืองๆ รสเปรี้ยวบ้างหวานบ้าง. มะเฟือง ๒ /มะ-เฟือง/ [นาม] ชื่อเต่าทะเลชนิด Dermochelys coriacea ในวงศ์ Dermochelyidae กระดองหลังเป็นสันคล้ายมะเฟือง เป็นเต่าที่ใหญ่ที่สุดในปัจจุบัน, เต่าเหลี่ยม ก็เรียก.

Recently my wife complained of soreness with her collar bone (clavicle). I asked her how to pronounce clavicle in Thai and her answer was "กระดูกไหปลาร้า", (gra duuk hai bplaa raa).

gra duuk = bone

hai = clay jar

bplaa raa = preserved fermented fish

So, I'm guessing, maybe the clavicle bone resembles the rim of the earthen jar used to make bplaa raa and hence the name. I'd be interested if anyone knows if this is the reason for the word.

My new word for the day is an easy one to remember. thumbsup.gif

jesus, unbelievable !! haha awesome.

• Like 1

new word of the day

Star fruit!!!

มะเฟือง

มะเฟือง maH feuuangM speaker.gif Royal Institute - 1982 มะเฟือง ๑ /มะ-เฟือง/ [นาม] ชื่อไม้ต้นชนิด Averrhoa carambola Linn. ในวงศ์ Averrhoaceae ผลเป็นเฟืองๆ รสเปรี้ยวบ้างหวานบ้าง. มะเฟือง ๒ /มะ-เฟือง/ [นาม] ชื่อเต่าทะเลชนิด Dermochelys coriacea ในวงศ์ Dermochelyidae กระดองหลังเป็นสันคล้ายมะเฟือง เป็นเต่าที่ใหญ่ที่สุดในปัจจุบัน, เต่าเหลี่ยม ก็เรียก.

I have one of them trees which was very useful the other day when we bought some "naem nuang" and there wasn't any ma feuuang