Electric And Water Prices

Hi all.

can anyone tell me what the current electric and water (goverment) prices are please

i'm renting a house with shared goverment meters and we and my cut seems a little unfair. theres one main meter for both houses then another single meter on mine.

i'm paying 6bt per unit on the electric and 25bt per unit on the water.

my bills are coming in at over double what i have ever paid in the past in other comparable sized houses.

700 on the water when it always been 200-300 in other houses at the most ..

and a whopping 7000 on the electric .. 1 aircon in use at night and at most 4 hours in the day time.

i found these 2 charts ,, but not sure if these are current or very out of date

Electricity Normal Rate (Residential)

Energy Charge (per kWh) Baht

Consumption not exceeding 150 kWh per month

First 5 kWh (0 – 5th) 0

Next 10 kWh (6th – 15th) 1.3576

Next 10 kWh (16th – 25th) 1.5445

Next 10 kWh (26th – 35th) 1.7968

Next 65 kWh (36th – 100th) 2.1800

Next 50 kWh (101st – 150th) 2.2734

Next 250 kWh (151st – 400th) 2.7781

Over 400 kWh (401st – up) 2.9780

Water Volume Used

Water rate (per cubic meter)

(cubic meters) (minimum 45 baht

0-30 8,50

31-40 10,03

41-50 10,30

51-60 10,68

61-70 11,00

71-80 11,33

81-90 12,50

91-100 12,82

101-120 13,15

121-160 13.47

161-200 13.80

201 up 14.45

Edited by silentnine

Two things stand out here,

'

i'm renting a house with shared goverment meters' shared with who? why dont you have your own meters? I suspect the people you share with own both properties and are charging you a rip off price so they can have free electric and water.

'

i'm paying 6bt per unit on the electric and 25bt per unit on the water.' Yes you are being ripped off, electric at 6 baht per unit is (almost) double the official rate, which is banded

The electric rates are broken down 1 to 150 , then 151 to 400, then over 400, this is in Bkk.

Water is damned near free, 700 baht for water, someone is trying it on, as you say 2-300 baht is normal.

Who gives you your bill and where does it come from?

7,000 baht for electric, cant be assed to do the maths, but it should be no more than 2,000 baht for a month based on what you say your usage is.

Once you add the fuel tax surcharge + VAT, then its just above an average of 4b unit at the moment for electric - or at least was when I simply divided total bill by number of units shown on the bill. That is PEA so outside Bangkok and I get billed direct from the electric company. However I use a fair whack of electric so the lower threshold amounts get proportionately eaten up by the load at top rate price. Somebody who uses considerably less than me, may find their average is lower than this.

Two things stand out here,

'

i'm renting a house with shared goverment meters' shared with who? why dont you have your own meters? I suspect the people you share with own both properties and are charging you a rip off price so they can have free electric and water.

'

i'm paying 6bt per unit on the electric and 25bt per unit on the water.' Yes you are being ripped off, electric at 6 baht per unit is (almost) double the official rate, which is banded

The electric rates are broken down 1 to 150 , then 151 to 400, then over 400, this is in Bkk.

Water is damned near free, 700 baht for water, someone is trying it on, as you say 2-300 baht is normal.

Who gives you your bill and where does it come from?

7,000 baht for electric, cant be assed to do the maths, but it should be no more than 2,000 baht for a month based on what you say your usage is.

we have a seperate meter on our house , not an oficial one. the idea being total on the officical one less ours is theres etc .. its the 6bt i'm quering as the guy has said its 6bt as the house has no tabien bahn hence the electric board charge more.

i'm quering as the guy has said its 6bt as the house has no tabien bahn hence the electric board charge more.

This could well be true as with no TB you cannot get a permanent power connection so you'd still be on a temporary 'construction' supply which does attract higher rates. We don't pay the bill on our construction supply but wifey says it's about 2x regular rate.

i'm quering as the guy has said its 6bt as the house has no tabien bahn hence the electric board charge more.

This could well be true as with no TB you cannot get a permanent power connection so you'd still be on a temporary 'construction' supply which does attract higher rates. We don't pay the bill on our construction supply but wifey says it's about 2x regular rate.

that makes sense .. was not aware is was double the price though ...

If the condo, project what ever has a Main Meter and the owner, committee, installed your meter and reads your meter and sends you a bill.

The main meter is most likely a "GE EWatt" digital meter. so in principal the Billie (meter owner) gets a electric bill, they than divide the the total cost by the KW used and get the cost "they are being charged" . Your bill is than calculated by units you used X cost per unit from main bill and this is what you pay.

There is usually a charge added to your bill (depends on owner) which basically covers the maintenance, upkeep of the wire, meter and so on that goes to your residence.

If the project is still under construction or not 75 % completed and the meter is a "construction meter" the base charge is higher. now about 1.5 baht a kw more. Some owners never have the main meter classification changed. (difficult at best).

Remember the main meter the Digital one, it has a 10 year memory and is programed with many things, the kicker is "Peak Demand".

between 18:30 and 21:30 is peak demand period,(usually measured 15 minutes with in a hour) there are some others, but this the main one.

The meter measure the maxim power being used during this time if the demand exceeds the previous demand period it increases the rate charged during this period. As I said the meter has a long memory, if the demand is exceeded on a regular basis for 3 months in a row the base rate remains at the high rate.

So what I am saying is if you live on a project, in a condo, ect, and some one decides to add a "Disco" Welding shop" Lots of garden lights, the meter will see increased usage and charge accordingly, so basically if you conserve power, but you have an energy "HOG" using excessive power, Your cost per KW will go up.

Easiest way to check is to look where the power enters your project, condo, and usually on or near where the Power Transformer is will be a rectangular Aluminum box, look in the window if you see a Digital Display, this meter is measuring many variables and adding them to your bill. The meter reader inserts a probe into the meter when he reads the meter, the data is downloaded to a laptop computer. Just a note meter especially mechanical ones "Do Not Read Fast" many real low depending on age and quality, the only way to make these meters go faster is to open the meter and physically change the "Gear Ratio of the Register assembly "

You can see the rates and tariffs of PEA and MEA (Thailand) by going to http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/index.php all the information you need is there, (lower left corner) Look and read.

If the condo, project what ever has a Main Meter and the owner, committee, installed your meter and reads your meter and sends you a bill.

The main meter is most likely a "GE EWatt" digital meter. so in principal the Billie (meter owner) gets a electric bill, they than divide the the total cost by the KW used and get the cost "they are being charged" . Your bill is than calculated by units you used X cost per unit from main bill and this is what you pay.

There is usually a charge added to your bill (depends on owner) which basically covers the maintenance, upkeep of the wire, meter and so on that goes to your residence.

If the project is still under construction or not 75 % completed and the meter is a "construction meter" the base charge is higher. now about 1.5 baht a kw more. Some owners never have the main meter classification changed. (difficult at best).

Remember the main meter the Digital one, it has a 10 year memory and is programed with many things, the kicker is "Peak Demand".

between 18:30 and 21:30 is peak demand period,(usually measured 15 minutes with in a hour) there are some others, but this the main one.

The meter measure the maxim power being used during this time if the demand exceeds the previous demand period it increases the rate charged during this period. As I said the meter has a long memory, if the demand is exceeded on a regular basis for 3 months in a row the base rate remains at the high rate.

So what I am saying is if you live on a project, in a condo, ect, and some one decides to add a "Disco" Welding shop" Lots of garden lights, the meter will see increased usage and charge accordingly, so basically if you conserve power, but you have an energy "HOG" using excessive power, Your cost per KW will go up.

Easiest way to check is to look where the power enters your project, condo, and usually on or near where the Power Transformer is will be a rectangular Aluminum box, look in the window if you see a Digital Display, this meter is measuring many variables and adding them to your bill. The meter reader inserts a probe into the meter when he reads the meter, the data is downloaded to a laptop computer. Just a note meter especially mechanical ones "Do Not Read Fast" many real low depending on age and quality, the only way to make these meters go faster is to open the meter and physically change the "Gear Ratio of the Register assembly "

You can see the rates and tariffs of PEA and MEA (Thailand) by going to http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/index.php all the information you need is there, (lower left corner) Look and read.

i think there rates on the site a some what outdated .. the price list .pdf is dated 2001 ..

after making enquires the construction rate is currently around 6.4bt per unit + tax

Great link mate,thanks,3x the price in Oz.

temp meter, one kwh starts at approx 5,50 all included, so average of 6 baht seems ok

do you know if there is a thai version of that price list anywhere ?specifcly the part about rates for agricultural water pumping

Edited by silentnine

you are being conned!

if you read the whole thread you will this about the cost of electric on construction rate supply ..not a con

seen the goverment bills now ... i'm in fact beign undercahrged not conned.. i'm paying 6bt per unit when the actual rate the PEA are charging is around 6.8bt (inc tax) ..

the problem is that the house is on a construction supply not a full one. long story behind that , beyond the scope of the forums and not an issue and related to the lack of a tabien bahn that the PEA insist upon to change over fron a construction supply to a standard residential supply

Edited by silentnine

you are being conned!

if you read the whole thread you will this about the cost of electric on construction rate supply ..not a con

seen the goverment bills now ... i'm in fact beign undercahrged not conned.. i'm paying 6bt per unit when the actual rate the PEA are charging is around 6.8bt (inc tax) ..

the problem is that the house is on a construction supply not a full one. long story behind that , beyond the scope of the forums and not an issue and related to the lack of a tabien bahn that the PEA insist upon to change over fron a construction supply to a standard residential supply

700bht a month is a tap running all the time. Or a leak in the supply, your side of the meter.

I can't imagine spending 7000bht on a house with air-con, that is 3 air-con units running 24/7

(evan at double price the electricity, I can't see a bill of more than 4,000bht)

If you aren't running 3 air-cons and a water tap 24/7 then someone is conning you, I would suggest most likely you are paying all the water and electricity for both houses, that is the usual way that sort of scam works.

PS

4 of us use 13 units (13 cubic meters) of water a month, lots of showers and a washing machine on every day @ 10.5bht/unit = total 180bht with tax etc. (the washing machine would account for most of that). Why is your water 25bht/unit?

We are very wasteful so that is quite a lot for a household. How many people in your house?

Edited by ludditeman

you are being conned!

700bht a month is a tap running all the time. Or a leak in the supply, your side of the meter.

I can't imagine spending 7000bht on a house with air-con, that is 3 air-con units running 24/7

(evan at double price the electricity, I can't see a bill of more than 4,000bht)

If you aren't running 3 air-cons and a water tap 24/7 then someone is conning you, I would suggest most likely you are paying all the water and electricity for both houses, that is the usual way that sort of scam works.

PS

4 of us use 13 units (13 cubic meters) of water a month, lots of showers and a washing machine on every day @ 10.5bht/unit = total 180bht with tax etc. (the washing machine would account for most of that). Why is your water 25bht/unit?

We are very wasteful so that is quite a lot for a household. How many people in your house?

Lets go back to the opening post, electric bill of 7,000 per month, charged 6 per unit.

That works out to about 1,200 units of electricity being used per month,

Based on the OPs opening post I find that hard to believe.

Ok you are paying 6 baht per unit, how many units are you being charged for, the next door neighbour is at it, ask to see his bill.

At the end of the day, is it worth 5,000bht a month extra to live in that house.

Because, for whatever reason, that is what it is costing you.

Tell the landlord you want a rent reduction of 5,000bht a month to compensate you for the excessive utility charges, or you will find somewhere else to live.

Edited by ludditeman

if you are crazy enough and demand 22ºC temperature in your home you can use much more than 4k Baht/month with three medium sized aircons each drawing continously 1.2kWh trying to match your temperature demand.

3 x 1.2kWh = 3.6/hr x 24 = 86.4/d x 30 = 2,592 x 4 Baht = 10,368 Baht/mth

I'm Thai and rented a house as well in Hua Hin. The house owner charged me 5 baht a unit for the Electricity. I'm usally tuned the aircon during the night and all night long. There are one fridge 24 hours, TV about 3 hours, 1 aircon 8 hours temperature between 20-25 C. and etc. But I have never niticed about the water bill because It's probably about 60-100 baht. But altogether for electric and water was never reached up to 1000 baht, since I have been living in the house for one and a half year.

But what I have experiences on renting a house, the owner will charge more money from what they actually paid to the government, by the way they try to make some more profit on top of it. But I would like to recommend, if you don't want to pay that much, you should have your own house with permanent electric meter.

Just checked my latest bill for my house in Jomtien.

645 units - B2474.23 inc tax = B3.84 per unit.

I have noticed though that people renting almost always pay much more. Seems to be standard in Thailand.

I also live in Jomtien (Pattaya) and I have nearly the same consumtion and amount. But I have to let them check the meter because I

cannot imagine, how I can use 650 units per month. I already calculated all my electrical equipment and I estimate about 450 units consumption only.