17 Bangkok Locations Submerged After Heavy Rain Overnight

webfact

17 Bangkok locations submerged after heavy rain overnight

image_20111008120513E1EBB6A1-C108-B035-CA24A60D59409B11.jpgimage_20111008120518E1EBC938-DAFE-433F-5BA49544057A3E43.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 8 -- Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra inspected the flood situation at Ratchadapisek Road after more than 100mm rain last night caused flooding at 17 locations in the capital.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) workers mobilised to drain water at 17 locations citywide while the governor gave assurances that Bangkok is prepared to cope with the increased volume of water from north of Bangkok, both the runoff from the northern provinces and the continuing recent rains.

Nonetheless evacuation plans are in place for 27 communities outside the city’s flood prevention dykes.

Ratchadapisek Road at Ratchada-Lad Phrao intersecion was under 10-15 cm of water, more than 20 buses and cars were inoperable due to the water and were parked along the road.

Mr Sukhumbhand said the heavy rain at 3am Saturday morning measured as much as 101mm, flooding 17 locations in Bangkok, the most critical being the heavily-travelled Ratchada-Lad Phrao intersection.

Four more high-performance water evacuation pumps were installed to drain water in the critically-affected areas and it was expected that the flooded areas could be flood-free by 10.30am. Other flood-affected areas would be back to normal by midday.

As for worries that water flowing to Bangkok from the north, the Bangkok governor said he would inspect at Bang Sue Canal and the flood prevention dykes at Lak Hok and Klong Prem Prachakorn and will meet with agency officials involved with implementing the water management plan, as well as the evacuation plans for 27 communities in the metropolitan region but outside the BMA’s flood prevention dykes. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-10-08

Is there a map of the flooded area? Bangkok and Thailand in general?

I have only found this one site, it uses google maps. I hope it gets updated soon to reflect the latest areas.

Enjoy

THAI Flood

I show that the intersection is around the Chom Phon and Samsen Nok area, were route 336 and Thanon Ratchadapisek Road Cross. In the northern section of Bangkok.

If it's wrong please let it be known. I am only as good as Google earth.

Nonetheless evacuation plans are in place for 27 communities outside the city’s flood prevention dykes.

How about naming them?

No flooding in the streets here yet but this part of Huai Kwang is slightly higher elevated than for example Ratchadaphisek road.

I took a walk around the area & the LadPrao - Ratchada junction is clear now, as are most of the sois in the area. The issue is that there is standing water in most of the street drains, which means that if there is anymore rain, there will be no place for the water to go. Also, the local klongs are full up to about 10-20 cm below street level. Any more water in them & they will be all over the streets.

WARNING

Imminent floods in 9 Bangkok areas

The Nation

30167165-01.jpg

Residents living along nine areas in East Bangkok are warned of floods, according to the National Disaster Centre.

As tide rises in the capital city, the centre at 3pm said in the latest warning that some areas could experience water overflows chiefly in nine areas - Khlong Bang Phrom, Khong Chimphlee (Buddhamondhol 1), Khlong Bang Waek (Ratchadapisek Road), Khlong Premprachakorn (Don Muang), Khlong Lat Phrao (Wat Lat Phrao), Pak Khlong Talad, Khlong Bang Sue (Phaholyothin Road), and Khlong Mahasawat (Buddhamondhol 2).

Officers are instructed to stand by for immediate assistance.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-08

The water in the canal at Mall Bang Kapi was about a foot higher this morning (right after the rain) but soon went back down to where it was yesterday. The water's still about a meter below the sidewalks but it's almost reaching the docks. Boats are still running.

im heading bangkok way from surin in about 10 days, family flying in from australia...heading up either by bus or the train and returning via train...anyone got news on the bus(roads) and trains to surin?

I'm flying into Bangkok in 10 days. My temple is North of Lopburi. If the water hasn't receded, I plan to stay a few days in Bangkok at a temple on Soi 1 a few blocks from MBK. Can a taxi get there from the airport? or how about Lam Luk Kha, soi 12?

I'm flying into Bangkok in 10 days. My temple is North of Lopburi. If the water hasn't receded, I plan to stay a few days in Bangkok at a temple on Soi 1 a few blocks from MBK. Can a taxi get there from the airport? or how about Lam Luk Kha, soi 12?

I meant Lam Luk Kha Klong 12, not soi 12.. Wat Phua U Dom.

Period Oct. 16 - 18 critical. Lots of official messages with good / bad news.

Too early to say much more. Keep checking every day and follow some pointers provided in a few threads here. Keep your fingers crossed, pray a bit, contemplate the wonders of life, imagine living in a desert area.

Can someone tell me what the weather will be doing and what will be flooded and underwater in 10 days please ??

We've done a lot of investigating, including all the "influential" people we could contact and were surprised to discover that everybody was clueless and only had vague, general, unattributed info. Best we could find so far is shown above and doesn't show much.

Everyone seems to be kept purposely in the dark about who is going to get hit and who is not in order to avoid those who are going to be sacrificed from raising a stink BEFORE they get hit and complaining about the decision before it's too late.

Friday we plan to fly to Europe until the end of the month rather than stress about what we cannot influence.

My suggestion is to check again a day before you fly.

I'm wondering if the hospital the King is in, will be (can't remember it's name!) affected, as it is very close to the Chao Phraya river .... The consequences, hygiene and H&S - wise would be serious if it was! Hopefully, it was built on land well above the river's present level. Being the oldest and probably one of the best hospitals in Asia, the impact on services and the treatment of patients, would be really serious!

no warning about problems to the airport, there are many powerful pumps to take water out of the canals around runways to the large collector ponds and larger canals towards the sea

the sirirach hospital on thonburi is safe so far, it's a multi story building. At the ground level are usually reception areas, treatment rooms, equipment and patients are on the higher floors. They have their own power generators, water supply etc