Oxygen Cylinders Allowed By Airport Security Check At International Departure?

Neole

Does anyone know if medical oxygen cylinders (less than 5 kgs) are allowed by the security check at the suvarnabhumi airport for inflight use?

The flight does not provide oxygen but has no problems with the passenger carrying oxygen if its prescribed by a physician.

An uneducated response which may well be incorrect.......

Pressurised Oxygen cylinders might fall under the IATA (International Air Transport) qualification of dangerous or hazardous goods and might require certification for fight.

I thought all planes have an O2 supply, perhaps small ones don't.

Will an airline permit a medically unfit passenger (i.e. one who may require O2) to travel without accompanying certified medical assistance?

Although these questions don't specifically answer your questions with regards to will security permit clear the cylinders, the info could be useful to others....

I do suspect that the cylinders may raise a big red flag.... have you travelled with less than 5kg O2 cylinders before ?

Thanks Richard, you are correct this is a small flight that does not have its own oxygen supply. Never flown with own oxygen before. The doctor has given a fit to fly certificate, with oxygen required.

I also have doubts the airport security will allow the oxygen to be taken in, is there a way to confirm this directly with suvarnabhumi airport?

I just called suvarnabhumi airport and after some queries the girl on the phone said airport security wont be a problem. The website also does not mention oxygen cylinders, but does mention 'dangerous materials' not allowed -

http://www.suvarnabh...ormation_en.php

Still have my doubts though!

Where do you live? Might be worth while to make a special trip to Swampy to ask both the airline office and security directly, in person, and get their response in writing.

Is your fit-to-fly letter with O2 in English or Thai? If only English, suggest you have it translated.

Mac

I just called suvarnabhumi airport and after some queries the girl on the phone said airport security wont be a problem. The website also does not mention oxygen cylinders, but does mention 'dangerous materials' not allowed -

http://www.suvarnabh...ormation_en.php

Still have my doubts though!

Where do you live? Might be worth while to make a special trip to Swampy to ask both the airline office and security directly, in person, and get their response in writing.

Is your fit-to-fly letter with O2 in English or Thai? If only English, suggest you have it translated.

Mac

Maybe with a stamp from a Thai Doctor as well. I was once refused to get my third injection of a vaccine because it was from Austria which might not be good enough for Thai Standards....Having all in Thai surely is a good idea.

Did some google on german language websites.

Some points:

1) generally it is possible to take on board

2) some airlines supply oxygen for a relatively high fee

3) maximum size of cylinder is 2 liters

4) device must be certified for use in airplanes

5) airline must be informed up to 10 days in advance

6) medical certificate is necessary

7) get a written confirmation, security might be a hassle otherwise

Thanks for the response.. Im in korat so its difficult to make a quick trip as its taken me 5 hours to come here from the airport by taxi.

The fit to fly is in english by a thai doctor from Bangkok hospital, with stamp.

The cylinder is certainly more than 2 litres, as its pressurised oxygen and provides a flow of 1 liter per minute. Its however under 5 kgs.

The airlines manager has now assured that if the security has any problem they will bring the cylinder on board as part of their equipment. Hopefully they wont have any problem!

Thanks for the response.. Im in korat so its difficult to make a quick trip as its taken me 5 hours to come here from the airport by taxi.

The fit to fly is in english by a thai doctor from Bangkok hospital, with stamp.

The cylinder is certainly more than 2 litres, as its pressurised oxygen and provides a flow of 1 liter per minute. Its however under 5 kgs.

The airlines manager has now assured that if the security has any problem they will bring the cylinder on board as part of their equipment. Hopefully they wont have any problem!

Nice gesture from the airlines manager. Hopefully everything works out OK.

Good luck !

Yermanee :jap:

I take a diving cylinder - (pony bottle) small 15cuft high pressure aluminium cylinder. - You MUST take it hand luggage - and it must be empty so they can see inside it. They will pull up on the x-ray. You need to be able to open it up and let them see inside it (carry a flashlight)> I leave the valve screwed off and cover the top with masking tape to keep crap out of it. You cant take pressurised cylinders on a plane, at all, Its essentially a bomb, especially if that cylinder was full of a flamible gas + oxygen. No way.

Sorry jsut read the above - if its for medial purposes you need it in-flight i dont know i imagine its possible have to investigate - but you didnt state.

1 liter per minute would be talking about the uncompressed volume of oxygen released from it. The size should be indicated on it, perhaps stamped on there.

• 2 weeks later...

My father was on continuous oxygen. At home had the big O2 generator and plastic hose running to his reclining chair. To travel, he had a little portable machine. Not sure how much O2 it actually stored, or how much it would "extract" from the air and enrich his nose tube air supply.

My father was on continuous oxygen. At home had the big O2 generator and plastic hose running to his reclining chair. To travel, he had a little portable machine. Not sure how much O2 it actually stored, or how much it would "extract" from the air and enrich his nose tube air supply.

This is the way to go if you will be flying more than infrequently.

My father was recently prescribed oxygen therapy, and finds the cylinders a bit intimidating. Remembering a current television series where a recurring character is using what appears to be a small pump, I did some Google research....

They are called portable oxygen concentrators (poc). Some are continuous flow, some are on-demand. They can work from rechargeable batteries or even from vehicle power outlet.

They are approved for in-flight use by the FAA since 2000.

Seems like the way to go in the future. Best of luck.

Edited by bobbin

This is the way to go if you will be flying more than infrequently.

My father was recently prescribed oxygen therapy, and finds the cylinders a bit intimidating. Remembering a current television series where a recurring character is using what appears to be a small pump, I did some Google research....

They are called portable oxygen concentrators (poc). Some are continuous flow, some are on-demand. They can work from rechargeable batteries or even from vehicle power outlet.

They are approved for in-flight use by the FAA since 2000.

Seems like the way to go in the future. Best of luck.

Yes concentrators are great but not all airlines ouside the USA permit them. THey arre permitted...together with a presubmitted doctrs clearence to fly on flights with US Codes.