Shops Running Out Of Products

JimSiam

shopped as usual today

went to Foodland, it was pretty much fully stocked, even my regular brand eggs are back

Big C had everything i wanted, and seemed to have a lot of stock of what i didn't

Central seemed to be pretty much fully stocked although i would note Waitrose items are now fewer and there are less discount ticket items

in my opinion, by direct comparison on a week to week basis

i would say the quantity and availability is much better than last week

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Makro today, everything was full except baby milk and bottle water. There is definitely an improvement, and it's good news :)

Now, let's hope all the crazy drivers will go home soon as it's traffic jammed everywhere, even in the railway street.

I went to Makro today, everything was full except baby milk and bottle water. There is definitely an improvement, and it's good news :)

Now, let's hope all the crazy drivers will go home soon as it's traffic jammed everywhere, even in the railway street.

I think your living in hope's there on the last bit I am at present 4 hour's north of BKK and there's plenty of BKK car's here.

was drinking with a bloke down in Soi Bokhao today..

mate of his, who is 'in the know' said the local Mafia are buying up everything so things will get a lot worse next week...also, told me his wife (who is a Chinese 'hi-so' from Bangkok with connections) said that there's gonna be a big showdown between the red-shirts and yellow shirts next week :unsure:

Come on, you should know better than that, guy in a bar who's mate....... Its been well documented most of the stores are now fully restocked. I just came back from Central Beach, the mafia are going to have to spend a fortune to empty that store of food.

Where is this showdown going to take place, on rafts in Bangkok?

You must be talking about the shops outside Thailand then.

No, I am talking about shops in Pattaya, which this thread is about. Foodmart (Jomtien), Foodland and Friendship are virtually back to normal. Tesco's and BigC Extra are not far behind. Its also been mentioned Makro is back up to speed as well, so can I ask what your talking about?

just back from Foodland... never seen the place so busy :blink:

obviously people from Bkk, as they were all well dressed compared to the usual scruffs you get wandering about there....God knows what they think when they see the more common lo-so farangs sweating & panting around the place.. :blink:

i was in there yesterday, talking to the boss

he said its not been as busy as the previous two weeks and things seem to be settling down now in the supply chain

i did notice a few toffee nosed Brits wearing a linen suit, brogues, a club tie and a panama hat whilst shopping, perhaps you were one of them.......?

Edited by timekeeper

just back from Foodland... never seen the place so busy :blink:

obviously people from Bkk, as they were all well dressed compared to the usual scruffs you get wandering about there....God knows what they think when they see the more common lo-so farangs sweating & panting around the place.. :blink:

i was in there yesterday, talking to the boss

he said its not been as busy as the previous two weeks and things seem to be settling down now in the supply chain

i did notice a few toffee nosed Brits wearing a linen suit, brogues, a club tie and a panama hat whilst shopping, perhaps you were one of them.......?

Nice to see the usual Banter is alive and well. Oh how I miss Pattaya. Edited by fredob43

Just back from Central Festival :

1 - The car park was full. Really full. As fool as you think you cannot put more cars but yes, there's always incredible solutions to put more cars in some new layers you will have never expected. Traffic jam to go inside and to reach the 6th floor and catch a place by chance when someone is just leaving. Later, 20 minutes were needed to the reach ground floor, give them back the card and join the second road to try to escape home. This is crazy. Bangkokian go home... :)

2 - There's no spring water in the shopping center anymore. But they have Perrier at 70 Baht the bottle. Ouch.

3 - There's not only Bangkok people who came here. They brought their prices and rates with them. My contact lenses were 1000 Baht before, they are 1400 Baht now. It's a 40% raise.

Canned Tuna!!! lol, have you tried fresh fish? plenty of it about, or was it for your cat

Every type of bread available in Central today, stop scare mongering.

Soya milk, well that's going to be missed by the mass'es

So because you don't like canned Tuna and soy milk that means everyone should stop buying it.However i think that millions of people in this country use it on a daily base,otherwise it would not have been available previously.

For whole wheat bread i should according to you drive into the center,which is with the current traffic situation,a one hour or more travel while I pass at least 50 shops on my way where the bread was available at normal times.

You obviously don't comment on the mineral water as you probably don't have any source where it is available.

I think the general public has a completely different opinion about fully stocked shops.

Stopped by Lotus south on the way home tonight, needed some milk, butter and yoghurt.

None to be found. Could of course be that they were restocking the shelves, as it was almost closing time?

So a quick run to Makro, that had a healthy stock of above mentioned produce.

Chang and Singh soda water is still not to be found in either of these places, they do have Schweppes though.

And very limited supply of canned mackerel in tomato sauce, a favorite of mine for the breakfast sandwich. :licklips:

This water thing is really, really bad for tourists. Noticed at a 7-11 on Walking street they had a steady stream of tourists coming in and being told at the front NO WATER to save them the trip to the coolers. Nice of the clerks, but at this point I think tourists should be warned away for the time being.

as much as i hate Tescos and their company policy to occupy every street in the civilized world..... i stopped in Tesco express (or whatever) for a tin of cat food ... anyway the place was almost completely empty of most things so walked out the door empty handed, compared to other shops, their supply chains seem to have completely fallen apart .....

i stopped in Tesco express (or whatever) for a tin of cat food ... anyway the place was almost completely empty of most things so walked out the door empty handed, compared to other shops, their supply chains seem to have completely fallen apart .....

Which one ?

The main farang supermarkets have had few problems (though Friendship did run out of Birds Eye Australian fish fingers at one stage!), and I've noticed that the big supermarkets are slowly starting to get products that have been missing for weeks. Yesterday Makro had a small amount of beer in stock. Only SML and Chang Export, and only around 20 boxes in total at the time I arrived (after lunch), but it's better than a zillion cartons of Spy Cooler.

Today Tesco Lotus had a palette of bottled water, the small 0.5 litre bottles. It was nice to see that the Bangkok refugees seem to have finally stopped panic buying everything in sight. Big C has large bottles of water but is limiting them to 2 per customer.

Hopefully in a month it will all be back to normal.

Big C has large bottles of water but is limiting them to 2 per customer.

Were these the 6L bottles?

They had the 6 liter an 1.5 liters of mineral water seemingly imported from Malaysia.Limited to 2 and 6 bottles respectively.

Price for a 1.5 liter bottle was 17 Baht.

Big C has large bottles of water but is limiting them to 2 per customer.

Were these the 6L bottles?

They had the 6 liter an 1.5 liters of mineral water seemingly imported from Malaysia.Limited to 2 and 6 bottles respectively.

Price for a 1.5 liter bottle was 17 Baht.

In Foodland they had 6 x 0.8L bottles for 21 baht (4.8L). I'm not sure how good the water is, but it's a bargain.

Makro seemed to have virtually everything today, when i was out in the country driving around saw a wharehouse full of beer ,so cant see why stores are out ,also the roads seem much clearer so i take it many Bangkokians have gone home.

Makro seems to be pretty well stocked. Except for beer!!!! I noticed not much mozzie spray, paper towels, and NO coke in cans. Oh well...I think they were out of soda also and several different kinds of whiskey. I'm only concerned about the beer!

The odd thing was that all the beer had also disappeared.

Just wait until the beer supplies start to dwindle. :whistling:

It already has by the looks of it.

You need only to go to the nearest flood relief station in some flooded neighborhood. Mine was/is a daily block party including a stage with bands and the supply of beer is unending and most brands you'd like..

• 5 weeks later...

I have to say things are looking better and better. We can find Aura water and drinking water. Baby milk is back, dog food too.

It really seems some people worked very hard to fight the shortages and they made quite a good job.

It has to be said :)