Internet Security And Firewalls

phuket Mike

It appears that a numbers of forum members have broadband internet connection here in los, IP Star, ADSL etc. I was wondering what security measures you are using to protect your systems from external attacks.

The reason I ask is that I recently worked on a site with IP Star that had been totally compromised by external hackers. All machines on the local LAN had a number of viruses as well as various hacking tools installed (ntservice.exe etc). One machine was even being used as an email server by a hacker to send spam.

When I installed a freeware firewall package I found the machine connected directly to the IP Star connection was getting something like 200 intrusion attempts per hour, all from IP addresses based in Thailand.

Obviously I quickly inplemented a number of security measures to stop this and fixed the problems. In the end a hardware firewall/router was installed to protect the system.

At home I have always used Norton Internet Security, it would be interested to know if anyone else has suffered any problems from hackers.

phuket Mike