Baht Bus Etiquette

toenail

I have travelled quite a bit in my lifetime. But the way the precious Russian-Tourists behave here in Thailand, I have never experienced before anywhere. Civilised behaviour (as the rest of the world knows it), seems to be comletely unknown to those folks.

I am getting the impression, that they have missed events like: The the Sovjet Union is history and the "iron curtain" does not exist anymore. They still consider the "West" as their enemy (Thailand is also part of the "West"). Therefore: "The West" is still the enemy and has to be faught, starting with the order-taking girl at McDonalds, the baht-bus drivers, the hotel receptionists etc,etc... What is the matter with those people?

Maybe some sort of "Iron-Curtain" should be re-erected, so they can outlive their typical behaviour among themselves. Or: Every Russian, that plans to visit the world, has to attend classes in "Genarally Accepted Civilized Behaviour Wordwide" and pass a test, before he/she is allowed to leave Russia.

Cheers.

I have found that the Russians are very much lacking in basic manners, and have no consideration for other people. They tend to be very heavy alcohol drinkers. This brings out the worst in them. When they are in even small groups. They often act like bullies. This sort of behavior seems to be a cultural norm for them. If you share a hotel floor with them. They return late at night whopping, yelling, and drunk.They don't give a bit of consideration to other hotel guests.

One thing I have noticed about Russians on the Jomtien baht bus which I find admirable and interesting is that different groups of them board as strangers, likely coming from different regions of Russia and probably ex-USSR Russian speaker countries as well, and they instantly start socializing with each other. Most every time. I don't see that often among other nationalities. It's not just that there are so many Russians either.

Of course the downside to that group behavior is that if you don't speak Russian, you become invisible.

Edited by Jingthing

One thing I have noticed about Russians on the Jomtien baht bus which I find admirable and interesting is that different groups of them board as strangers, likely coming from different regions of Russia and probably ex-USSR Russian speaker countries as well, and they instantly start socializing with each other. Most every time. I don't see that often among other nationalities. It's not just that there are so many Russians either.

Of course the downside to that group behavior is that if you don't speak Russian, you become invisible.

A little bit like the way Thais who don't speak English appear to us maybe?

Communication goes both ways and it is amusing to see some Thais vendors now speak at least

survival level Russian.

As to the topic, I have seen boorish behavior from people of all nationalities here(and anyone remember the gang of Thai pickpockets that used to ride the Baht buses?). I don't find the russkies, on average, any worse than the rest.

When I lived in Jomtien, on three occasions Russians tried to chat with me. Apparently I look like one of them? :unsure:

A few hours later, I am buying some pepper at a supermarket that only has one teller working. A Russian woman cuts in front of me with a full load of shopping. Once again, I ask why she did this, and I get a grunt, and she points to her friends in line. I wish I was making this up. :realangry:

You'll learn - just shove them straight back. If I'm trying to get past a bunch of Russians in a crowded 7/11 and they don't move after saying excuse me I just shove my way through.

Ironically I walked in front of a Russian women to order some food the other day and she gave me a dirty look.

When I lived in Jomtien, on three occasions Russians tried to chat with me. Apparently I look like one of them? :unsure:

Isn't that a change? Mostly it's arrogant English speakers thinking everyone should speak English.

That happens to me quite often. If they don't hear you speak, and there is a remote possibility you look like someone who speaks Russian, it happens. I don't mind but frankly I do mind the scowls I get in reaction to my saying no.