Where Are The Eggs Now?

Jingthing

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most days I eat one egg, for breakfast. It appeared on my plate this morning at the usual price.

So what's the fuss about?

Easy for you but why would you assume everyone eats 1 egg a day? I could easily polish off 10 a day with 4 or 5 for breakfast.

Here's a copy of a report from the Thai News Section which will explain the current situation on eggs:

Commerce to Ensure Enough Egg Supply in Bkk & Nearby Provinces

UPDATE : 29 October 2011

The permanent secretary of commerce says the ministry has coordinated with farm produce conglomerates to make sure there are enough supply of eggs to meet the demand in Bangkok.

Tesco Lotus plans to import millions of eggs from Malaysia to ensure there's sufficient supply.

Permanent Secretary of Commerce Yanyong Puangrach said large food suppliers, including CP group, Betagro and Kasemchai Farm, have been asked to speed up the distribution of chicken eggs from farms to marketplaces in Bangkok to combat the growing shortage.

Yanyong revealed CP group will supply hundreds of thousands of eggs to be sold at the Farmer's Market (Or Tor Kor) in Jatujak tomorrow (Oct 30). Betagrow and Kasemchai Farm are also in the process of organizing a marketplace to supply eggs to consumers at normal market prices. There are reports that a chicken egg now costs as much as 7-8 baht per egg.

The permanent secretary of commerce is confident there are enough eggs to meet the current demand. Tesco Lotus group is planning to import more than 3 million fresh eggs from Malaysia. Makro group is also planning to import approximately 200,000 eggs from Malaysia.

Internal Trade Department director Vacharee Vimuktayont says, in term of daily supply, there are as many as 25-26 million eggs in the market. However, a large part of the egg supply is unable to be transported into Bangkok due to the widespread floods. Many large scale department stores in Bangkok say they are unable to get to their merchandises which are left stranded at various distribution and logistics centers in flood-hit Ayutthaya Province.

Edited by tropo

Typical. Half the population of Bangkok has left for Pattaya, Hua Hin and Khao Yai, so now the deserted supermarket shelves there are groaning under the strain of all the water, eggs and rice. Meanwhile the Bangkok panic buyers are like a plague of locusts stripping everything bare here. Calm down, dears, it's not the end of the world.

I have just got back from my daily shop in Friendship :

Eggs large size 40 baht/half dozen, previously 36 baht

Milk fridges are full

Loads of freshly made bread from local bakeries and hotels.

I have to congratulate the panic buyers, as all they have done is driven up prices and I am still able to buy all I want on a daily basis.

Chicken Little eat your heart out.

Milk fridges are full

I have to congratulate the panic buyers, as all they have done is driven up prices and I am still able to buy all I want on a daily basis.

AGREE 100% RAB

i was there yesterday morning and it was much the same as usual and as you have reported

they also had two pallets of bottled water on offer but rationed.

it wasn't that busy when i was there and there was no atmosphere of impending doom

to the bosses credit he was bagging up on the tills when i checked out

showed good leadership in my opinion.....

Milk fridges are full

AGREE 100% RAB

i was there yesterday morning and it was much the same as usual and as you have reported

they also had two pallets of bottled water on offer but rationed.

it wasn't that busy when i was there and there was no atmosphere of impending doom

to the bosses credit he was bagging up on the tills when i checked out

showed good leadership in my opinion.....

The nearest I came to a major shortage was on Friday when there was no Gordons Gin, however the girl in the booze section saw what I was looking for and told me "tomorrow" and good as her word the shelves were fully stocked with Gordons yesterday. jap.gif

Plenty of eggs in Bangkok, cos there's nobody here

that's very true my local villa still has eggs and just about everything else, low on water still

yingluck saying worse is over so we may see more shortages as masses run back to bkk

Easy for you but why would you assume everyone eats 1 egg a day? I could easily polish off 10 a day with 4 or 5 for breakfast.

Hmm. Are you that muscle-bound body-builder chap that I often see at breakfast who eats a mound of boiled eggs and nothing else?

I was always told that even one egg a day is more than one should really be eating, for health reasons. I eat one most days, but not all.

Plenty of eggs in Bangkok, cos there's nobody here

that's very true my local villa still has eggs and just about everything else, low on water still

yingluck saying worse is over so we may see more shortages as masses run back to bkk

I see my area, Bangkapi is on a list of areas that could flood if some dyke or other fails. Fact is, the man in the street knows as much as the government and their so called experts

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

Hmm. Are you that muscle-bound body-builder chap that I often see at breakfast who eats a mound of boiled eggs and nothing else?

I was always told that even one egg a day is more than one should really be eating, for health reasons. I eat one most days, but not all.

I think you're a bit behind the times on eggs - this is from the GB Heart Foundation Website:

I've heard that eating too many eggs can raise your cholesterol - how many can I

eat?

For most people there is currently no limit on the number of eggs that you can

eat in a week. However, because the recommendation has changed over the years,

it's often a common source of confusion.

In the past a restriction on eggs was recommended because we thought that foods

high in cholesterol (including liver, kidneys and shellfish, as well as eggs)

could have an impact on cholesterol levels in the body.

However, as research in this area has developed, so has our understanding of how

foods that contain cholesterol affect people’s heart health. For most people, the

amount of saturated fat they eat has much more of an impact

on their cholesterol than eating foods that contain cholesterol, like eggs and

shellfish.

So unless you have been advised otherwise by your doctor or

dietician, if you like eggs, they can be included as part of a balanced and

varied diet.

You can eat as many eggs as you want ! :lol: hooray

I am so eggcited to see such and eggciting topic that gets to the yolk of the matter. Do egg the locals on to keep posting :)

My local egg seller has closed for 3 days now off Klang but I am lucky to have about 10 days supply. I'll keep watching so I can stock up again. I do like an omlette and for breakfast I still like fried / scrambled eggs.

I am so eggcited to see such and eggciting topic that gets to the yolk of the matter. Do egg the locals on to keep posting :)

My local egg seller has closed for 3 days now off Klang but I am lucky to have about 10 days supply. I'll keep watching so I can stock up again. I do like an omlette and for breakfast I still like fried / scrambled eggs.

Eggs - love them, scrambled, omlettes, 1000 yr old, salty duck eggs etc..

My favourite are the small, speckled eggs the street vendors sell. I think they're plovers. They're a delicacy in the UK (e.g. Brideshead Revisited mentions them in one of the early chapters) but here they are more like 2 for 1 baht :P

Letest evidence to from The British Heart Foundation suggest that eggs are, in fact OK to eat in quantities more than previously(and erroneously?) stated

Here and Here are just 2 articles from them about eggs that nails the myth

Penkoprod