Money Transfer Back From Thai Bank

I am new on this forum and it is possible that I make some errors as far the rules are concerned. whit my wife we are coming to Phuket for our first long stay and we would like opening an account with a thai bank. We are a little worry about the real possibility to send back our money to my Country if we will need to do so. It is also true that if you open an account with two names, it is difficult have the home banking service and also the atm card? Another doubt is corcerning if the iban code is used also in thai for online payments.

Thank you very much and

Also be careful of what type of method you are going to use for your "permission to stay". If you are going to use the 800,000 THB in the bank method then it must be in an account in your name, not in a joint account

Also what do you mean by ?: "Another doubt is corcerning (sic) if the iban code is used also in thai for online payments "

If you mean a normal bank code you will not be able to make online payments to a vendor back home via a Thai Bank

If you want to pay vendors here in Thailand you will do that through your Thai bank's Internet Banking, and is done differently by each bank via a billers list that is pre- designated by the bank or one that your create

Don't worry you will be able to repatriate your money back home, just expect to be hit with fees and fluctuating exchange rates

Edited by Langsuan Man

The situation regarding transferring funds is different depending whether you are working or not - will you be earning income here? If you bring funds in, you can take them out. If you earn money here, you have to be able to show how it was earned (i.e. working legally). You should find out the iban number from the bank you want to send the funds to - its no problem to use it. But if you are not working here, then most likely you'll have to go to a branch to make the international remittance back to your country.

As for joint a/cs, they are a pain to have and to administer. It's easier to have an account under one name; ask for two ATM cards and just share the access - of course there are certain risks with that, as at the end of the day only the named account owner is responsible for the account and legitimately owns the funds. This could be a problem in the case of sudden illness or worse.

For a joint account they will only give 1 ATM card.

You can use the card in your own country to withdraw funds if you have a problem repatriating it.

We have a joint account at Kasikorn (our second), and they gave (sold) us two ATM cards, one for me and one for my wife. I got the impression that if I had a dog, he could get one, too.

You can use the card in your own country to withdraw funds if you have a problem repatriating it.

We have a joint account at Kasikorn (our second), and they gave (sold) us two ATM cards, one for me and one for my wife. I got the impression that if I had a dog, he could get one, too.

I'm with the TMB, getting a second card for a joint account was in the 'too difficult' file for them.

Never had any trouble with 'administering' the account or as a result of having it though, except that individual accounts would also be needed for visas in the future.

not too long ago Siam Commercial, Pattaya

-need third card

-cannot

-why not?

-becau

-in a loud voice very well, here our passbook, passports, pay out all cash, close account

-why?

-because no third card!

-prease wait

-whisper whisper thai with two colleagues who became interested

-more whisper whisper thai with two colleagues who became interested

-now what???

-can thir car but

-no but!

-Mrs: let them talk

-ok talk!

-can make thir car only name you or name madame

-ok make one for madame and one for me

-cannot

-why?

-becau then four car

-i like four cards

-Mrs: there, there... one card should be enough

-ok make one card. but leo leo!

20 minutes later Kasikorn

-here are three passports. would like to open an account in three names.

-why?

-three people will be account holders because stupid Thai banks never heard of Power of Attorney

-blank stare...

-but why three?

-in a loud voice and a language she does not understand "that's none of your <deleted> business! capisce?"

-higher echelon: please Sir, what seems to be the problem

-we want an account in three names, each account holder signing singly

-will this be a company account?

-no, a simple savings account to which we foreign retirees are limited

-please come and have a seat

30 minutes later, a zillion signatures, account established three debit cards handed out, provisional PIN changed to final.

SCB card was cracked from overuse :whistling:

Went to my home branch for a replacement and was told that I would have to pay 500 THB for my new card

So I made the young lady read the back of the card, where it says this card is the property of SCB

Since it was their card, the replacement only cost me 200 THB

Went to my home branch for a replacement and was told that I would have to pay 500 THB for my new card

So I made the young lady read the back of the card, where it says this card is the property of SCB

:lol:

SCB card's seem to last me about 2 years before cracking, always replaced for free. Untill replacing the latest one last month, cost 400 baht BUT I got a free (400 baht?) umbrella.

Don't worry you will be able to repatriate your money back home, just expect to be hit with fees and fluctuating exchange rates

Correction: you will be able to repatriate your money back home if you haven't withdrawn the money at any time.

If, for example, you withdraw it all and then pay some of it back in - you won't be able to wire it back home.

That's what Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial told me.