Vote Popular Place At Chiang Mai

Hoya Salamui

When I want to Chiang Mai the popular place of me are Doi Suthap and Chiang Mai Zoo.

I like to look bevy flamingo at Chiang Mai Zoo and go to doi suthap for worship pagoda.

Where will you go?

Which is the most popular place in Chiang Mai as in tourist spot/place of interest or the most happening place? :o When I went to Chiang Mai, the most popular place for me is.... hrmm place that have yummy food and excellent live band. :D

Doi Suthep, sure. Not just the temple there but also the forest trails and waterfalls along the way.

Chiang Mai zoo.. That place is just too big. THough I might attempt it in the upcomgin cool season. I once made the mistake of going there in the hot & dry season and I was convinced it would take months for people to find my bleached bones in the dust way out down some hill there.

Other places of interest are the Sunday walking street market, the old city sois in general and of course that charming littel allee of Loi Kroh in the evening.

A night in a fairly remote village up in the hills where little Thai is spoken and women are adorned in colorful native costumes seen only once every 20 years in National Geographic, laying down inside a small bamboo hut with my head on a small pillow and only a small oil lamp glowing in the darkness used for the cooking, dreaming the night away (biting the clouds as the Chinese say) while ignoring the constipated tomorrow.

Alas crop substitution programs have made this a very rare Chiang Mai event indeed as cabbage or carrots just don't do the trick. Thank the gods for Mae Khong & soda. :o

<needless personal attack removed>

If anyone has past issues with anyone else then the Thaivisa forum offers a private-message feature. :o --Chanchao

Interesting...whatever the story you both write well.

I occasionally agree with p1p, and this time I do-- my favorite place is home.

At home I don't have self-absorbed people knocking into me or shouting at each other and calling it a conversation (as is the case at Central, et al).

At home I don't see any shaved-headed Premeir league fans who've already knocked back enough beer to souse the team they're watching.

At home I never hear "same, same, but different."

At home I can cook an "American Breakfast" with real sausage not a hot dog.

And there are no drunken Thai men in my home, and no Chinese guys floating their faces around.

Ah, home, with my family and dogs --- one of which is pictured in my avatar.

Ah, home, with my family and dogs --- one of which is pictured in my avatar.

Hmm, I assumed that was you... :o

Home sweet home is my favorite as well but I don't think that is what the original poster is looking for, eh?

Being a two-wheeled (and wings) kinda guy, riding the ole chopper with my true love on board up into the mountains on the NW route toward Mae Sai is sweet indeed. Doi Tung is gorgeous and there are roads that hug the Myanmar border with absolutely breathtaking views.

Even the nearby run up to Samong and the hot springs area up there is a great day trip. Getting "lost" is probably my favorite - to get unlost, you just head downhill..

Land of Scenery..

Doi Inthanon - continue on westward into Mae Chem and spend the night - I can recommend a place to rent a little bungalow.

Life is good...

ไปเที่ยว (bpai thiao) is a combination verb that means many things - to go on an excursion; to go somewhere (or walk around) for leisure, for fun, for pleasure... etc. It is also a good non-commital answer when somebody asks you 'bpai nai' (where are you going), as it does not specify where you are going, just that you are going to go somewhere/do something for fun.

Add a noun after (bpai thiaow), e.g. bpàa (jungle), doi (mountain), suan sad (zoo), saao (girls) or the name of a place like Bangkok (groong thehp), and that shows you the intention/direction of the leisure trip.