Dukes

bitewhentested

hi guys im a huge fan of the dukes restaurant how they provide the quality of food for the price they do is beyond me iv never used the night bazaar one as

to be honest i cant be bothered to park miles away and walk iv heard there is to be a 3rd one opening soon a take away any ideas on location ?

also were els would tv members recommend for a change but something on the same scale of quality im not a fan off thai food

i like nice burgers pizza so on yes i know come to thailand and eat western food lol but after nearly 40 years of carbs my body rejects anything remotely healthy

thanks enjoy your day

Dukes is OK, but let's not get carried away with 'how do they do it for the prices they charge'.

The statement; "yes i know come to thailand and eat western food lol but after nearly 40 years of carbs my body rejects anything remotely healthy".

You don't need to justify to anyone what you eat - after 40 years I'm sure you are big enough to make your own choices.

The places mentioned in venturalaw's post are all good and Riders Corner seems to be getting a lot of good reviews.

Edited by uptheos

i find it hard to believe that the dukes can be beat on quality and price but i will bow to you experience i give the places you mentioned a try

also i cant stand mayo even the thought of it turns my guts the dukes staff never get my order wrong if i say hold the mayo or want to change something slightly never a problem

i find thais smile and say ok but really they dont understand just pretend to i feel a mixture of guilt and disappointment iv waited for my meal it comes the waitress looks pleased with her self

until i tell here my order is wrong so i tend to go places without the chance of this happening do the places you go to have any communication issues ?

thanks for your input enjoy your day

i find it hard to believe that the dukes can be beat on quality and price but i will bow to you experience i give the places you mentioned a try

also i cant stand mayo even the thought of it turns my guts the dukes staff never get my order wrong if i say hold the mayo or want to change something slightly never a problem

i find thais smile and say ok but really they dont understand just pretend to i feel a mixture of guilt and disappointment iv waited for my meal it comes the waitress looks pleased with her self

until i tell here my order is wrong so i tend to go places without the chance of this happening do the places you go to have any communication issues ?

Some 'Americanism's like 'hold the mayo' might not compute to a Thai waitress - it's always better to be simple and specific i.e. NO mayonnaise.

Edited by uptheos

What I find is that a great number of Western places in Chiang Mai will do a particular dish better than Duke's but no one does better than Duke's across their full menu. I have sort of mixed feelings about the place on account of that though, as except for their pizza, I can't think of any particular dish that I think is the "best in town" at Dukes. So generally if I already know what I want to eat before I go out I don't pick Duke's, instead I go someplace that I think does particular well on that dish. As to Duke's prices, I think that they are about the minimum that a place like that would need to charge to be economically viable.

Edited by OriginalPoster

You know guys, we aren't going to pit sponsors against each other here. And I am pretty sure several of you already know what is and what isn't acceptable behavior here so a post doing just that has been removed.

ok nearly lunch time cant talk about food any more just making me more hungry thanks guys

And make sure you report back on what you had, where and how much! biggrin.gif

Have a nice lunch. smile.gif

I'm going to open book on this and guess it will be McDonalds, Subway, KFC or the Dukes, any takers.

<br />
<br />i find it hard to believe that the dukes can be beat on quality and price but i will bow to you experience i give the places you mentioned a try  <br />also i cant stand mayo even the thought of it turns my guts the dukes staff never get my order wrong if i say hold the mayo or want to change something slightly never a problem <br />i find thais smile and say ok but really they dont understand just pretend to i feel a mixture of guilt and disappointment  iv waited for my meal it comes the waitress looks pleased  with her self <br />until i tell here my order is wrong so i tend to go places without the chance of this happening do the places you go to have any communication issues ?<br /><br />thanks for your input enjoy your day<br />
<br /><br />What I find is that a great number of Western places in Chiang Mai will do a particular dish better than Duke's but no one does better than Duke's across their full menu.  I have sort of mixed feelings about the place on account of that though, as except for their pizza, I can't think of any particular dish that I think is the "best in town" at Dukes.  So generally if I already know what I want to eat before I go out I don't pick Duke's, instead I go someplace that I think does particular well on that dish.  As to Duke's prices, I think that they are about the minimum that a place like that would need to charge to be economically viable.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes they are across the board the best you can find for western food in Chiang Mai.

In my opinion they have the best french fries in Chiang Mai. Another thing I like about them is when you order some thing the accompanying salad or what ever is not just a garnish. They do not promote one item and cheap out on every thing that goes with it. Also my water glass is always refiled with out asking.

As they say you may be able to find a item you like better in another restaurant but do you get the full meal deal with it or just the hamburger with about six potato chips. Also do you want to be driving all over Chiang Mai looking for the "better one" you might have to go to a lot of different places to find it.

Also I find them very accommodating to my wishes. I am a huge hamburger fan and know of no other place in Chiang Mai with the selection , quality and french fries to match it. If people tell you so and so has a better hamburger ask them which one of Dukes hamburgers they are comparing it to. The 99 cent bare burger or the one with the works. Like comparing apples to oranges.

As far as western places go in CM this place has my vote as being the best. And it isn't just me - this is true for most of the other people that I have actually talked to in person. A very vocal minority online seems to disagree with his, though. If you look at various review pages, this place always fairs somewhere in the middle with more than its share of one star reviews. That is especially puzzling since even though I've gone to Dukes dozens of times the quality has consistently been high. It is completely backwards - the other places are the ones that constantly fall short. So what is going on? Certainly seems like people are trying to game the review pages to me. I guess I am just writing this because I am pretty much sick of falling for the same trap over and over again - I've learned that the review scores in CM mean *nothing*. I swear if these guys put half the effort they do into fake reviews and mud slinging into improving their place instead they might actually have a decent restaurant.

The really funny thing about this is that Dukes still gets a lot of tourists... and as far as locals go Dukes takes most of the customers. I expect their business to continue flourishing - you just can't argue with good quality.

I have no problem with Dukes although I do have a problem with their prices. Actually to be fair, their prices are, as someone else summarized, probably the minimum that could be reasonable to provide their menu in Chiang Mai. So basically, I have no problem with Dukes.

Basically my only bitch is that people continually rate this place up on Tripadvisor, et al, as though it were some sort of holy grail of Western cuisine. It's not. It's a basic mid-quality ameri-western restaurant transplanted to Chiang Mai, and as such giving it a five-star and gaga-ing about it is retarded. Oh yay. You found a place that serves your national cuisine and does not suck. While you are holiday in Thailand. Whoop... de... doo.

How about, saving the five-stars for someplace that has serves five-star food—not just... relief oh my god here we are amungst these feringers hellelujah a BURGER! a STEAK! they do have civilization here Mildred I tol you.

Really... think about it...What would the restaurant you are rating, deserve where you came from? Frankly, I'd give Duke's a 3-4 in my hometown in upstate NY. But here in CM, it's the flying golden poop of Buddah, just because they can do an adequate steak and fries. What the hell is the point of travel really, if ethnocentrism is your mantra? Stay the fuc_k at home and gulge on McDonald , after all that's the best food in the world, right?

</rant>

I have no problem with Dukes although I do have a problem with their prices. Actually to be fair, their prices are, as someone else summarized, probably the minimum that could be reasonable to provide their menu in Chiang Mai. So basically, I have no problem with Dukes.

Basically my only bitch is that people continually rate this place up on Tripadvisor, et al, as though it were some sort of holy grail of Western cuisine. It's not. It's a basic mid-quality ameri-western restaurant transplanted to Chiang Mai, and as such giving it a five-star and gaga-ing about it is retarded. Oh yay. You found a place that serves your national cuisine and does not suck. While you are holiday in Thailand. Whoop... de... doo.

How about, saving the five-stars for someplace that has serves five-star food—not just... relief oh my god here we are amungst these feringers hellelujah a BURGER! a STEAK! they do have civilization here Mildred I tol you.

Really... think about it...What would the restaurant you are rating, deserve where you came from? Frankly, I'd give Duke's a 3-4 in my hometown in upstate NY. But here in CM, it's the flying golden poop of Buddah, just because they can do an adequate steak and fries. What the hell is the point of travel really, if ethnocentrism is your mantra? Stay the fuc_k at home and gulge on McDonald , after all that's the best food in the world, right?

</rant>

The type of restaurant that I'd compare it to in the States would be something like a Bennigans, Applebee's, or TGI Fridays. Maybe better quality than those, but same basic concept.

I'm a foodie and my loyalty to any place only lasts as long as that place is serving good food. I go to Dukes because they serve good food consistently. If anyone can names place that equal or better the quality of their food (especially the pizza and burgers) that I genuinely want to know because as I said I'm a foodie and I would want to be eating there or at least trying it out.

I'm a foodie and my loyalty to any place only lasts as long as that place is serving good food. I go to Dukes because they serve good food consistently. If anyone can names place that equal or better the quality of their food (especially the pizza and burgers) that I genuinely want to know because as I said I'm a foodie and I would want to be eating there or at least trying it out.

Agreed, the word "consistently" is really really important.

Edited by chiang mai

Mediocre is not a term that can be applied to Duke's :P, unless one is accustomed to eating in Michelin 3 and 2 star restaurants and theirs is the standard by which one judges - or perhaps by a similar standard; expensive and fawncy. Naturally our tastes differ, but I cannot agree with the term being applied here for the same reasons that have been reported by positive contributors.

For one thing, mediocre can mean medium, but often indicates beneath average. Indeed, in many small towns in the U.S., - probably most - Dukes would be best by far, not a chain either, but a family restaurant - and I speak as one who has traveled widely there. That Duke's achieve their standard - given the costs of ingredients to suit American tastes - is remarkable. And we are not required to love burgers, pizzas, or ribs to say so. Those of us on a limited budget might find better solutions for themselves perhaps.

No, I agree that the general standard at Dukes, given its target customers, is highest across the board and thus that it is extending certain of its offerings over to the moat is no surprise.

Edited by CMX

If anyone can names place that equal or better the quality of their food (especially the pizza and burgers) that I genuinely want to know

Nobody can actually tell you a western place that fits the bill for this in CM because it honestly does not exist. You might get, "Well try the X at this place..." And this could even have merits, if that item fits your specific tastes. I like the sandwiches at Moe's a lot, for example, but there is no way I'd make the claim that this is the place for everyone. And I think basically Dukes is - unless you're on a really tight budget.

I am pretty confident that the guys bashing this place are either:

1. Owners of another restaurant

2. Friends of those owners

3. People who criticize everything

4. People who cannot afford the place

If anyone can names place that equal or better the quality of their food (especially the pizza and burgers) that I genuinely want to know

Nobody can actually tell you a western place that fits the bill for this in CM because it honestly does not exist. You might get, "Well try the X at this place..." And this could even have merits, if that item fits your specific tastes. I like the sandwiches at Moe's a lot, for example, but there is no way I'd make the claim that this is the place for everyone. And I think basically Dukes is - unless you're on a really tight budget.

I am pretty confident that the guys bashing this place are either:

1. Owners of another restaurant

2. Friends of those owners

3. People who criticize everything

4. People who cannot afford the place

+1, most probably the latter.

Sizzlers are far superior to all those over priced, over rated farang eating houses in town.

Nice, clean air conditioned premises, attractive smiling waitresses and the not in your face attitude of pressuring the customers to buy more food and drinks or hassling for tips. Also no service charges as extras on top of the bill, the prices you see is what you pay. With many of the meals, there are free eat as much as you like salads, soups and desserts, plus refill soft drinks.

Last week I visited Sizzlers at the Kad Suan Kaew, I began with 2 bowls of lovely mushroom soup, 3 plates of salad with cheese, a main meal of fish and chips, followed by cream desserts and real fruit melon. Fantastic value the full Monty for only 264 baht.

Sizzlers have a wide selection of meals available at affordable prices, compared with what else is on offer.

Now, would I lie to you?

Sizzlers are far superior to all those over priced, over rated farang eating houses in town.

Nice, clean air conditioned premises, attractive smiling waitresses and the not in your face attitude of pressuring the customers to buy more food and drinks or hassling for tips. Also no service charges as extras on top of the bill, the prices you see is what you pay. With many of the meals, there are free eat as much as you like salads, soups and desserts, plus refill soft drinks.

Last week I visited Sizzlers at the Kad Suan Kaew, I began with 2 bowls of lovely mushroom soup, 3 plates of salad with cheese, a main meal of fish and chips, followed by cream desserts and real fruit melon. Fantastic value the full Monty for only 264 baht.

Sizzlers have a wide selection of meals available at affordable prices, compared with what else is on offer.

Now, would I lie to you?

" in your face attitude of pressuring the customers to buy more food and drinks" - is exactly what I experienced at the Dukes. BTW, none of the following apply to me:

1. Owners of another restaurant<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(243, 249, 246); ">2. Friends of those owners<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(243, 249, 246); ">3. People who criticize everything<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(243, 249, 246); ">4. People who cannot afford the place

Everyone has different tastes and it seems many like Dukes. I don't because the 3 times I tried it I had a nasty experience which I won't get into. Each time was late at night so maybe I should try lunch time. Maybe there will be a different manager. At least at the Sizzler you don't get interrupted by the help.

Edited by New2LOS

I admit, I haven't been to Duke's in probably 4 years. I was told this was the place to go, and that they had great ribs and pizza. I definitely wasn't impressed with their ribs, and the pizza was like that which you'd get at a bar in the states.. Both were OK, and I certainly wouldn't mind eating there, but it really only gets attention cause it's the only farang joint in town.

I wouldn't drive out of my way to go there, that's the point.. It doesn't present anything that's out of this world good.

I think Pizza and Pasta has excellent pizza at a very good price, I think mr chan's has a very good affordable menu, and I think Coach's ribs would do a very good business in the states. (Their pricepoint is a bit high for chiang mai.) Their ribs are out of this world good, though.

I challenge anyone to have a 129 baht chicken parm sandwich at Pizza and Pasta and tell me A) it's not that good, and B) it's not a great price. (I eat it for two meals)

**Note, Chan's, Pizza and Pasta, and Coach's are all close to wear I live..

I admit, I haven't been to Duke's in probably 4 years. I was told this was the place to go, and that they had great ribs and pizza. I definitely wasn't impressed with their ribs, and the pizza was like that which you'd get at a bar in the states.. Both were OK, and I certainly wouldn't mind eating there, but it really only gets attention cause it's the only farang joint in town.

I wouldn't drive out of my way to go there, that's the point.. It doesn't present anything that's out of this world good.

I think Pizza and Pasta has excellent pizza at a very good price, I think mr chan's has a very good affordable menu, and I think Coach's ribs would do a very good business in the states. (Their pricepoint is a bit high for chiang mai.) Their ribs are out of this world good, though.

I challenge anyone to have a 129 baht chicken parm sandwich at Pizza and Pasta and tell me A) it's not that good, and B) it's not a great price. (I eat it for two meals)

**Note, Chan's, Pizza and Pasta, and Coach's are all close to wear I live..

I completely agree, and Chan's, Pizza and Pasta and Coach's are far from where I live but I don't mind the drive for great food.

Now, would I lie to you?

Actually Sizzler is something that I pull out as an example that shows what a good value Duke's is. Thais love Sizzlers though, and my Thai wide occasionally forces the issue of eating there. Invariable our bill is higher there than at Duke's, but the food's an abortion and it has the atmosphere of an assembly line. But it keeps peace to go there now and again, so I suck it up and eat the overpriced, low quality crap there. How anyone can think Sizzler is good is simply beyond my comprehension.

Now, would I lie to you?

I don't know would lie to me? The salad bar is about 170 baht by itself. The hamburger is around 400 baht with the salad bar. I cant say if the burger is good or not. It is over my head for money.I don't mind the 225 baht Jo's famous at Dukes it comes with a decent size order of fries and as I said earlier unlimited water and you don't have to wait long for it. If it makes you feel better I have a friend who loves the sizzler but he is rich.

i have been to sizzlers and found it not to my liking at all every thing taste like cheep reheated take away food its has the feel of a fast food joint as well

i wish id had not started this now i only wanted to say how much i like the dukes and ask for a few ideas for similar places so lets just leave it there gentlemen

Now, would I lie to you?

Actually Sizzler is something that I pull out as an example that shows what a good value Duke's is. Thais love Sizzlers though, and my Thai wide occasionally forces the issue of eating there. Invariable our bill is higher there than at Duke's, but the food's an abortion and it has the atmosphere of an assembly line. But it keeps peace to go there now and again, so I suck it up and eat the overpriced, low quality crap there. How anyone can think Sizzler is good is simply beyond my comprehension.

Compared to a dark restaurant/bar with the occasional drunk (and I've only been there 3 times), the Sizzler is probably boring to you, and beyond your comprehension.

Now, would I lie to you?

Compared to a dark restaurant/bar with the occasional drunk (and I've only been there 3 times), the Sizzler is probably boring to you, and beyond your comprehension.

The low grade food at high prices is the main problem with Sizzler.

Alright, I am done here. A public warning was issued, the forum rules are extremely clear about slamming sponsors and about slamming businesses in general. In my long experience on this forum when someone comes on to slam a business its usually because they are a competitor.

This thread is closed, you people find something other to talk about than food for a change.

//CLOSED//