OK, almost a month after I got the Navigator model, I can say that I love most:

Style

power

inside accessories (for a Thai model)

maneuverability and driving

front and rear drive visibility

seats and saddlery

and a few small disappointment

an inside global cheap plastic feeling (being the top model)

thirsty engine (compared with the MU7), 7/8 km/lt, maybe automatic engine fault

still no accessories

lack of reverse camera (I will buy a commercial one)

lack of the 4x4 light on the instrument panel (only very small on the knob)

lack of a proper clock

But until now I'm very happy with this beautiful car smile.png

I was lucky enough to have shared the highway with a (white) Trailblazer LT yesterday. I both followed and drove ride side-by-side with it for several kilometers. It actually looks like a cross between a Fortuner (in its body style - as viewed from the rear) and a Pajero (in its styling - as viewed from the rear).

Well, I just returned from the Chevy dealer .... they had 3 Trailblazer models - LT - black, brown and grey (I believe).

The LT model definitely looks the part of 'poor relation' when compared to the top model's better wheels and nav system.

Yo! Angiud ....... did you forget to mention the fact that the amount of available cargo space of the Trailblazer, configured with all 3 rows of seats, falls way short of the amount of space of our MU-7? That was my most surprising observation.

Now to try to get a test drive of this nice looking SUV....

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chevrolet Trailblazer has coil springs and the most advanced suspension on the pickup based suv's. It recently won the Bangkok Post group test of pickup based SUV's (Trailblazer vs Fortuner vs Pajero Sport). It appears to be light years ahead of the old dinosaur Fortuner.

The Chevrolet Trailblazer has coil springs and the most advanced suspension on the pickup based suv's. It recently won the Bangkok Post group test of pickup based SUV's (Trailblazer vs Fortuner vs Pajero Sport). It appears to be light years ahead of the old dinosaur Fortuner.

Wow!! unsure.pnghuh.png

I am assuming that your assertion pertains only to the 'suspension system' because while I also agree that the Trailblazer, especially it's top model, compares very favorably with, (if not outright leads) the Fortuner and the Pajero - and only then, it comes down to the way the grading system ranks its criteria - in an 'overall' analysis, it seems that even the article's writer seems to be just short of 'holding its nose' in its awarding the Trailblazer 1st place between it, the Fortuner and the Pajero.

They are specced 'close' overall.

Edited by thailoht

Saw a Trailblazer on display recently. Looks OK but not light years ahead of the Fortnuer or PJS. The only thing I could see that was an advancement on Fortuners and PJS was the rear disc brakes. The rear suspension is virtually the same design as the Fortuner. If BKK Post found the Trailblazer rear suspension to perform better it is probably down to the spring and damper settings or driver preferences rather than advanced design.

Edited by Jitar

The trailblazer has rear 5 link suspension which none of the competitors have which give it a more comfortable ride. You're correct it does have the rear disks which improve on the braking. It also has shift on the fly for the 4wd and seats which fold flat (both sets) which the competitors don't have. It's moved the game a stage on. It's just a case of waiting to see what Ford come up with now as that could well set the benchmark for the class as they have by far the best pickup in the segment.

To Thailot: the cargo space on the Trailblazer in big, also due to the second row of seats completely fold flat creating a very long flat surface, impossible with the MU7. If you take out the third row and you fold the 2nd row more you can get ha huge volume cargo.

Big Guns, I fully agree with you, at the present time the Trailblazer is for sure the best SUV Thai made or assembled on sale here.

PS: I don't like too much the automatic gear. I love manual, and make my car more thirsty.

Edited by angiud

The trailblazer has rear 5 link suspension which none of the competitors have which give it a more comfortable ride. You're correct it does have the rear disks which improve on the braking. It also has shift on the fly for the 4wd and seats which fold flat (both sets) which the competitors don't have. It's moved the game a stage on. It's just a case of waiting to see what Ford come up with now as that could well set the benchmark for the class as they have by far the best pickup in the segment.

Sorry to disappoint you Big Guns but Chev are pulling a swifty with the "5 link" suspension. The Trailblazer has a live rear axle with 4 trailing links and Panhard rod, the same design as the Fortuner. The PJS is very similar with 2 torque arms and a Panhard rod. If the trailblazer rides better it is because of tuning not major design advancement.

4WD shift on the fly is normal for part time 4WD systems like the Trailblazer uses. These are inferior to the full time or constant 4WD systems on the Fortuner and PJS, especially for on-road use.

The PJS has fold flat seats, only the Fortuner misses out on this. The Fortuner interior is not it's finest feature but PJS interior still has a reasonable feel. The Trailblazer interior is OK but the plastics could be nicer.

The Trailblazer is really only ahead of the pack with the rear discs and the 6sp auto that tolerates more torque. Overall the main competitors are still quiet close to the Trailblazer so like you say, Ford still have an opportunity to raise the PPV benchmark. If Ford can package the 3.2L engine and components from the Ranger with an attractive SUV body, good rear suspension and brakes and a modern interior with decent features and a couple of extra airbags Toyota and Mitsu may have something to worry about, at least until their next revamp.

Edited by Jitar

Sorry to disappoint you Big Guns but Chev are pulling a swifty with the "5 link" suspension. The Trailblazer has a live rear axle with 4 trailing links and Panhard rod, the same design as the Fortuner. The PJS is very similar with 2 torque arms and a Panhard rod. If the trailblazer rides better it is because of tuning not major design advancement.

4WD shift on the fly is normal for part time 4WD systems like the Trailblazer uses. These are inferior to the full time or constant 4WD systems on the Fortuner and PJS, especially for on-road use.

The PJS has fold flat seats, only the Fortuner misses out on this. The Fortuner interior is not it's finest feature but PJS interior still has a reasonable feel. The Trailblazer interior is OK but the plastics could be nicer.

The Trailblazer is really only ahead of the pack with the rear discs and the 6sp auto that tolerates more torque. Overall the main competitors are still quiet close to the Trailblazer so like you say, Ford still have an opportunity to raise the PPV benchmark. If Ford can package the 3.2L engine and components from the Ranger with an attractive SUV body, good rear suspension and brakes and a modern interior with decent features and a couple of extra airbags Toyota and Mitsu may have something to worry about, at least until their next revamp.

Does PJS have "the full time or constant 4WD system"?...and what about styling?...Fortuner and PJS are pretty dated designs,at least 7-8 years old(except for some minor changes)...and the Trailblazer has definitely the new design European/Italian engine and transmission...that should count for something...

Does PJS have "the full time or constant 4WD system"?...and what about styling?...Fortuner and PJS are pretty dated designs,at least 7-8 years old(except for some minor changes)...and the Trailblazer has definitely the new design European/Italian engine and transmission...that should count for something...

The PJS can be driven in constant 4WD because it has a differential and viscous coupling between the front and rear axles. The Fortuner and PJS are old designs but they have both held up well with the exception of the Fortuner interior and PJS stereo & driver aids. The Trailblazer is a good competitor for both and the 6 speed auto that can handle more torque and rear disc brakes are certainly worth something. I wonder how similar the new MU7 will be?

To Thailoht: the cargo space on the Trailblazer in big, also due to the second row of seats completely fold flat creating a very long flat surface, impossible with the MU7. If you take out the third row and you fold the 2nd row more you can get ha huge volume cargo.

PS: I don't like too much the automatic gear. I love manual, and make my car more thirsty.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif .... (hopefully), you'll come around!

The cargo configuration is brilliant and is one of the characteristics that sets it ahead of its class .... but, it's in the 7-passenger seating configuration that the MU-7 has more available cargo space (in its class) to store bags, suitcases, etc., than does the Trailblazer.

I guess the Econ 101 reality is that there must always be a trade-off in order to compete within the price limits of this 'low priced'(?) segment of the SUV market. sad.png An industry where they 'give' you something in one area at the expense of something else in another area because, sadly, there is a finite cost that all of a vehicle's features must not exceed.

Lets imagine for a minute, leaving 'styling' and engine selection aside, a SUV/PPV that featuring the interior space, seating comfort and top notch audio nav sys of the MU-7, the rear disc brakes, suspension (tuned to ride like a Fortuner) and seating configuration flexibility of the Trailblazer, the 4WD modes of the PJS plus nice size wheels, steering wheel buttons, electric seats and cruise control .... !

I wonder what the price of such a SUV/PPV would be in this market?

It's too long.

Test drove the car @ Chevy nawamin yesterday. Its much longer than the pjs, kinda hard to park without the rear camera. Maybe I m addicted to the rear camera on the PJS.

Its a little more on the ball than the Pjs, but the acceleration isnt as what I tot 180 HP should have.

The ride is comfy enough but the seats feel a little weird for my liking.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

I've been driving my new LTZ1 for 3 days and have the following comments so far:

1. Handling when compared to my 2011 Isuzu 4x4 is light years ahead. It tracks corners positively and there is no spongy feel. Love it. Handles better then the Fortuner as well.
  2. The size is excellent. Much roomier than the Paj Sport (and my Isuzu)which feels (although comfortable) too narrow. The real Pajero is not on sale here which is a much bigger SUV. Had them, like them.
  3. I fitted a very reputable diesel tuning box today and wow what a difference. Maaaaaaan, does she fly. I mean seriously hauls ass. Everything the company said about this computer tuning box is true. It doesn't affect the manufacturers warranty either. It also has a remote control so you can turn it off for her-in-doors or anyone for that matter. And NO I'm not an agent for this piece of kit. Just totally stoked with the results.
  4. With the 3rd row of seats down you do lose a bit of height for cargo. If it's a problem I'll just unbolt them like I've done with my Landcruisers, Discoveries and Pajero's in the past.
  5. Cockpit view is excellent. If you can't reverse without a camera then something is wrong with the driver not the car.
  6. A bit plasticky but I'm doing my own mods there in real leather. i.e the centre arm rest and the door arm rests.
  7. Disappointed the upholstery wasn't real leather but I'm going to recover the front seats with the real deal.
  8. Can't imagine why they didn't install a clock!
  9. I'll be manufacturing my own tow bar so let me know if anyone else wants one.
  10. Instruction manual only in Thai, why?
  11. No remote for the entertainment centre (navi) which is annoying. Does have controls on the wheel but limited.
  12. All in all the best SUV for the money available in Thailand right now. I would recommend the LTZ1
  13. P.S. My drivers door made a great scratching canvas for my 2.5 year old daughter with a sharp rock in her hand. Compete respray needed after day 3 which is pretty good going if you ask me lol

I've been driving my new LTZ1 for 3 days and have the following comments so far:

1. Handling when compared to my 2011 Isuzu 4x4 is light years ahead. It tracks corners positively and there is no spongy feel. Love it. Handles better then the Fortuner as well.
  2. The size is excellent. Much roomier than the Paj Sport (and my Isuzu)which feels (although comfortable) too narrow. The real Pajero is not on sale here which is a much bigger SUV. Had them, like them.
  3. I fitted a very reputable diesel tuning box today and wow what a difference. Maaaaaaan, does she fly. I mean seriously hauls ass. Everything the company said about this computer tuning box is true. It doesn't affect the manufacturers warranty either. It also has a remote control so you can turn it off for her-in-doors or anyone for that matter. And NO I'm not an agent for this piece of kit. Just totally stoked with the results.
  4. With the 3rd row of seats down you do lose a bit of height for cargo. If it's a problem I'll just unbolt them like I've done with my Landcruisers, Discoveries and Pajero's in the past.
  5. Cockpit view is excellent. If you can't reverse without a camera then something is wrong with the driver not the car.
  6. A bit plasticky but I'm doing my own mods there in real leather. i.e the centre arm rest and the door arm rests.
  7. Disappointed the upholstery wasn't real leather but I'm going to recover the front seats with the real deal.
  8. Can't imagine why they didn't install a clock!
  9. I'll be manufacturing my own tow bar so let me know if anyone else wants one.
  10. Instruction manual only in Thai, why?
  11. No remote for the entertainment centre (navi) which is annoying. Does have controls on the wheel but limited.
  12. All in all the best SUV for the money available in Thailand right now. I would recommend the LTZ1
  13. P.S. My drivers door made a great scratching canvas for my 2.5 year old daughter with a sharp rock in her hand. Compete respray needed after day 3 which is pretty good going if you ask me lol

Hi boxter,

Trailblazer will be available here in Manila within a couple of months.

Wonder if you could make a comparison of its ride comfort to that of Fortuner & Pajero sport.

Also, is it significantly bigger (external) compared to the Fort?

TIA

Hi boxter,

Wonder if you could make a comparison of its ride comfort to that of Fortuner & Pajero sport.

TIA

Inov8, the big issue that PI faces is the cost of parts over there. As it is not produced there, I guess that everything has to be imported, and thus costs two to four times more both in money and time.

I would stick with established brands in the Philippines (Montero Sport or Fortuner seem good choices both re. quality as re. parts availability).

As to comfort of the ride, no better advice than to test drive it. thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi boxter,

TIA

Inov8, the big issue that PI faces is the cost of parts over there. As it is not produced there, I guess that everything has to be imported, and thus costs two to four times more both in money and time.

I would stick with established brands in the Philippines (Montero Sport or Fortuner seem good choices both re. quality as re. parts availability).

As to comfort of the ride, no better advice than to test drive it. thumbsup.gif

I agree with you that it makes sense to go with the more establish brand, chevy being a relatively new player in our country.

But my problem with Fortuner, especially, is its too dated. Besides I don't expect any major problem within the first couple of years at least

that would require parts replacement, hopefully.(that of Trailblazer)

Thanks for the advice though.

Edited by inov8

Fortuner and PJS are pretty dated designs,at least 7-8 years old(except for some minor changes)...

True, the current gen Fortuner has been around since late 2004, but the Pajero Sport was only first unveiled 4 years ago, with first volume deliveries in 2009 - and has been kept fresh with 3 minor changes since, including a major engine upgrade (from 140PS to 178PS) - it's hardly 'long in the tooth' by car standards....

Fortuner and PJS are pretty dated designs,at least 7-8 years old(except for some minor changes)...

True, the current gen Fortuner has been around since late 2004, but the Pajero Sport was only first unveiled 4 years ago, with first volume deliveries in 2009 - and has been kept fresh with 3 minor changes since, including a major engine upgrade (from 140PS to 178PS) - it's hardly 'long in the tooth' by car standards....

PJS is based on the Triton platform,so all the front exterior and interior looks like Triton(with some minor changes)...and how old is Triton?

PJS is based on the Triton platform,so all the front exterior and interior looks like Triton(with some minor changes)...and how old is Triton?

The current shape Triton was first released at the end of 2005, with deliveries starting proper in 2006.

Is there really little interest with this SUV, 2 months after it's release?

Or the new owners are just too happy with the purchase they just can't

find time to join the fray whistling.gif

Innov8, I was around Manila this week-end. I saw an astounding number of Montero Sports and Fortuners over there. Very few if any Chevrolets around. The bulk was Japanese, with a few crossovers which we do not have in Thailand. Did you take a look at the Mitsu ASX? As a crossover, it might be an interesting choice?

Apparently, according to French sources, Peugeot and Mitsubishi are sharing technologies and the ASX is a product of this tech sharing ( http://www.caradisiac.com/Mitsubishi-ASX-un-SUV-de-relance-58732.htm source in French).

Here is a review in English: http://www.caradvice.com.au/187657/2013-mitsubishi-asx-review/

Is there really little interest with this SUV, 2 months after it's release?

Or the new owners are just too happy with the purchase they just can't

find time to join the fray whistling.gif

Innov8, I was around Manila this week-end. I saw an astounding number of Montero Sports and Fortuners over there. Very few if any Chevrolets around. The bulk was Japanese, with a few crossovers which we do not have in Thailand. Did you take a look at the Mitsu ASX? As a crossover, it might be an interesting choice?

Apparently, according to French sources, Peugeot and Mitsubishi are sharing technologies and the ASX is a product of this tech sharing ( http://www.caradisia...lance-58732.htm source in French).

Here is a review in English: http://www.caradvice...shi-asx-review/

Yes indeed! Pajero Sport (Montero in Manila) and Fortuner are everywhere, that's one reason I'm not considering those.

Chevrolet is a relatively new player here, with Chevy Phils only started in 2009, although they"ve been around under small

dealerships. Korean crossovers are gaining popularity with the likes of Tucson (Ix35), Sta Fe, Kia Sportage.

One of my ride is Gen3 CRV, initially my option is to go with another CUV, but considering the road conditions of

Manila coupled with occasional floods, makes this PPV a more sensible option.

BTW, The 2.8 4x4 LTZ here will be priced THB 1.2M++ (P1.7M++)

With regards the ASX, it never crossed my mind to consider that. I'd rather get the new Mazda CX-5, which by the way

tops my list if ever i'll go with a CUV. Already test drove one, and I have to say that what "they" say about it's great

driving dynamics are correct.

@freemindxs, thanks for taking time.

No worries Inov8. Please keep in mind however the previous comment on the availability of parts and service centers. In Thailand, one main concern for many owners is how much they'll be able to have their car repaired or serviced upcountry. That plays against some of the minor players such as Suzuki.

With such a recent presence in the PI, I cannot help but be worried with the Trailblazer, esp. if the reliability is questionable. If parts are not manufactured locally, you might get in trouble with your car.

Nevertheless I can see the use of a PPV for Manila, given the state of the roads over there.

I looked up the CX 5 and it is true it looks good.

• 2 months later...

Hi there. Any updates on the performance of the Trailblazer? I'm particularly interested in the common problems that crop up for owners, so future buyers like me may be guided accordingly. I've researched quite a bit and on paper at least, the Trailblazer appears to be the best among the Pajero Sport, Ford Everest and Toyota Fortuner. I'm a little bit worried about the quality and reliability of Chevrolet though. That is holding me back a little bit. Will the Pajero Sport really have a new model by 2014? How about the Everest will it really have a new look next year? Thanks everyone.

Hi there. Any updates on the performance of the Trailblazer? I'm particularly interested in the common problems that crop up for owners, so future buyers like me may be guided accordingly. I've researched quite a bit and on paper at least, the Trailblazer appears to be the best among the Pajero Sport, Ford Everest and Toyota Fortuner. I'm a little bit worried about the quality and reliability of Chevrolet though. That is holding me back a little bit. Will the Pajero Sport really have a new model by 2014? How about the Everest will it really have a new look next year? Thanks everyone.

Well, Chevy is generally known for being troublesome on the side of quality and service. I guess that depends of service centers, but anyway, both the cars and the service centers are not particularly well-known for their reliability.

Well, Chevy is generally known for being troublesome on the side of quality and service. I guess that depends of service centers, but anyway, both the cars and the service centers are not particularly well-known for their reliability.

How many have you owned? I've had at least ten, probably 20 if you count all GM products.

From what I’ve read, just make sure you get them to include an extra key with the order.