2012 Mitsubishi Mirage

Mitsubishi have today released some images and some (scant) details on their new entry into the eco-car segment, to be officially called the Mirage.

mitsubishimirage26.jpg

mitsubishimirage19.jpg

mitsubishimirage27.jpg

mitsubishimirage34.jpg

mitsubishimirage14.jpg

Depending on market, the Mirage will come with either a 1.0 or 1.2L engine, and a 5MT or CVT. Thailand is most likely to be receiveing 1.2L engines with 5MT in the lower models, and CVT as you move up the range.

Fuel economy is stated to be as much as 30 KM/L, but that's for the 1.0L which we most likely won't see here.

Overall dimensions are: 3710m (L) x 1665mm (W) x 1490mm (H), making it a little longer but slightly narrower than the Brio (3610mm x 1680mm x 1485mm), and a little smaller than the March overall (3780mm x 1665mm x 1515mm).

The Thai release is slated for March 2012, and as-per eco-car rules, prices will start from under 400K Baht.

Compared to the "Global Small" concept car shown earlier in the year, there have been a number of very distinct changes, unfortunately:

2012mitsubishiglobalsma.jpg

Global Small Concept

The soft edges and curvy design have given way to a more slab-sided design which improves fuel economy at highway speeds (get used to this look - it's going to be a very common theme in fuel effecient cars). Also gone is the bolder looking, but less-fuel-effecient trapezoidal front grille, the "power hood" design has been toned down, and of course the LED headlamps are gone - but we knew they would never make it ;)

Buy or Bye?

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

The aftermarket must be thanking Mitsu now they have something they can improve on ,straight out of the showroom and to the fibreglass shop for a concept front bumper and a new rear one to get rid of those awful "Brio" corners for some nice 'March" roundies :)

Ugly. Is this the replacement for the Colt? I was under the impression the Colt was coming to Thailand, but seem to remember it being re-badged the 'Global Small'.

I had been looking at small cars, and had I been buying one, I'd have been waiting for this car. dam_n well glad I didn't wait!

The aftermarket must be thanking Mitsu now they have something they can improve on ,straight out of the showroom and to the fibreglass shop for a concept front bumper and a new rear one to get rid of those awful "Brio" corners for some nice 'March" roundies :)

How many people are going to spend just 400K on a car then another 60K+ dressing it up with body parts and decent wheels? I'm all into personalizing cars, but the math just doesn't add up at this price point, IMHO.

Ugly. Is this the replacement for the Colt? I was under the impression the Colt was coming to Thailand, but seem to remember it being re-badged the 'Global Small'.

The Mirage is AKA Colt - in some markets this will be labelled Colt.

They really froc'd this one up. Is there some unwritten rule that eco cars must be dull and uninspiring?

Yeah, it feels like a flashback to the 80's when all Japanese cars were ridiculously uninspiring coke cans..

The slab-sided look is reportedly able to improve fuel effeciency by as much as 10--15% at highway speeds, so it's becoming a common theme - the list of cars using this styling technique now contains: 2011 Lexus CT200h, 2011 Nissan Almera, 2012 Toyota Camry, 2012 Toyota Yaris, 2012 Toyota Vios, and now the 2012 Mitsubishi Mirage..

Thankfully the Americans aren't latching onto it, so there's still some hope for stylish cars in the next-generation ;)

• 3 months later...

The Mitsubishi Mirage line-up has now been officially released.

• Mirage GL 5MT - 380,000 Baht. Includes A/C, driver's airbag, electric front windows and multi-information display
  • Mirage GLX 5MT - 426,000 Baht. Adds adjustable front headrests, 60:40 folding rear seats and an MP3/CS player with AUX-in and USB.
  • Mirage GLX CVT - 460,000 Baht. Adds ABS with EBD, Remote central lock, electric folding side mirrors and auto up/down electric windows
  • Mirage GLS CVT - 506,000 Baht. Adds dual front airbags, fog lights, 14" alloys, Intelligent key with start button, and a rear spoiler with LED brake lights.
  • Mirage GLS Ltd CVT - 546,000 Baht. Adds climate control A/C, DVD Player with 7" LCD touchscreen, Navigation and bluetooth

8 color choices will be available on launch:

• White Pearl (adds 5,000 Baht)
  • Lemonade Yellow Metallic
  • Pop Green Metallic
  • Red Metallic
  • Cerulean Blue Mica
  • Eisen Gray Mica
  • Pyreness Black Mica
  • Cool Silver

Opening promotions include free 1st class insurance and a 10,000 Baht cash bonus.

The excise tax rebate under the first car buyers scheme is around the 79K Baht mark for the top model.

Combined fuel ecomony under UNECE testing is 22KM/L, making it the most frugal eco-car to date.

Official sales start at the Bangkok International Motor Show on March 28th.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

They look great value, but can we at least get a dark interior, and what is the rear legroom like? Will check it out at the Show. The brio is really looking to be out of it's depth, especially when the suzuki becomes available.

Concept looked good........ Now looks like a 30 yr old Colt with a baby engine. angry.png

Will the Proton badges Lancer EX come to Thailand ? looks a much better deal.......

Yep the Swift looks much better [hatch] or the Almera [saloon]

Concept looked good........ Now looks like a 30 yr old Colt with a baby engine. angry.png

Will the Proton badges Lancer EX come to Thailand ? looks a much better deal.......

Yep the Swift looks much better [hatch] or the Almera [saloon]

Not sure if the Inspira is on the cards - haven't heard anything from Proton ppl lately though.

Agree, the Swift looks set to easily outlcass the other eco-hatches - it's only real problem is it's dealer network (on 40 Suzuki car dealerships in LOS).

Almera is the only eco-sedan so far, but looks aside, it's a great package for the money.

I saw 2 Almera(s) on the road today.

Not a bad looking car and not that small. About the same size as Honda City on first glance.. at the tail end. That's how I knew they were the new Almera.

Almera is actually bigger inside than City...