Mesacol In Thailand?

shadymilkman

I have Crohn's disease and have been having a bit of a flare lately, and I need to restock on medication. I'm looking for mesalamines (I usually take Pentasa in the U.S.). I've found Salofalk at a few places, but it's fairly expensive here (40B per 500mg tablet), and since it's not a prescription medication in Thailand my insurance won't cover it. I've heard of Mesacol (an Indian generic) being available, but after checking many pharmacies in Bangkok, I've still never found any. Any thoughts on where to look? I'm actually up in Phitsanulok, so anything nearby would be ideal--but I'm willing to figure out something far away if I need to.

Thanks for your help!

Mesalazine is available in Thailand under the following brand names:

Salofalk - European import and thus expensive

Pentasa - ditto

Mesacol - Indian made, as you mentioned, and therefore likely top cost less than Salofalk or Pentasa.

Exactly how much, I don't know, nor am i familiar with pharmacies in the Pitsanoluk area. Perhaps some of the other members with Crohns, and those living in that area, could advise.

Thank you for your response. I've continued to have little luck in tracking anything down, though maybe having the distributor's name will at least help. Are pharmacies in Thailand ever willing to order in medications if you request them to?

I appreciate any additional info anyone might have!

Happily, for me, my U.S. med plan doesn't require a prescription for a locally purchased drug for reimbursement.

In your case, how about you ask a Thai MD to write you out a prescription for this OTC drug, see if that works for your reimbursement. Make the pencil pushers happy as they have a piece of paper along with the bill.

Mac

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'm just wondering if you can find Mesacol in Thailand yet. I have been buying Mesacol for my husband in Bangkok. Please let me know, maybe I can help :)

Mesalazine is available in Thailand under the following brand names:

Salofalk - European import and thus expensive

Pentasa - ditto

Mesacol - Indian made, as you mentioned, and therefore likely top cost less than Salofalk or Pentasa.

Exactly how much, I don't know, nor am i familiar with pharmacies in the Pitsanoluk area. Perhaps some of the other members with Crohns, and those living in that area, could advise.