The Stare

maxme

I know that is hard for western tourists to see the Thai womans age since asians tend to look younger than they are but does that give the tourists right to give bad stares at farang/thai couples when they go out even if they are the same age? Are some westerners really bad educated or has the racism gone overhand?

It's unfortunate that many farang who come to LOS on holiday completely misunderstand the Thai ladies smile, the farang thinks that after stepping off the plane they have suddenly become a film star cos of the smiles from the local Thai women folk. Remember, it doesn't happen in farang land

Then the jealousy steps in, they look at guys of all ages with local ladies of all ages and what they've got back home :D.

I have had guys blatantly staring at my mrs, who is in her 40's, they obviously just got off the plane. :rolleyes:

does that give the tourists right to give bad stares at farang/thai couples when they go out

They are just regretting that they brought their wife along on the holiday. :lol:

Reminded me of yeh old saying, " It's the same as taking coal to Newcastle " .:D

It's unfortunate that many farang who come to LOS on holiday completely misunderstand the Thai ladies smile, the farang thinks that after stepping off the plane they have suddenly become a film star cos of the smiles from the local Thai women folk

And all these years I thought.... :(

Either I have become too used to it, too thick skinned that I don't recognise it. But, I don't think my wife and I attract these stares from other Westerners when walking around, We do however get one or two stairs from Thai's.

There is a 3 year age gap.

When my wife walked along side my father and I alongside my mother I did notice that my wife and father attracted a significant increase in stares from both Westerners and Thais.

I can only assume it could be a notable difference in age that attracts more stares.

Edited by richard_smith237

I used to make a point of starting a conversation with this type of people. The women would usually end up with a comment along the line of "your lucky to have a young beautiful wife". My standard reply was/is "she is the lucky one" the chit chat trailed off rather quickly at that point. Sorry to say I have not noticed nor heard remarks/looks like this in the past 10 years. Maybe I am slowing down and its not apparent that we are together.

From what I've read on this forum it's particularly bad if you happen to be walking anywhere with your daughter or granddaughter, they really don't like that.

Just the other day, I saw an older farang man (must be in his 60s) with a young female, I'd guess early 20's. It was a little odd initially, but when I noticed that she was a "luk kreung" (or half Thai/farang), I could then assume she was his daughter. I wonder if western tourists can even see that distinction. But if the girl was full-blooded Thai.....yeah, I'm sure this guy would be getting some seriously evil stares from all quarters.

From what I've read on this forum it's particularly bad if you happen to be walking anywhere with your daughter or granddaughter, they really don't like that.

Yeah !! that's so right, I have fun with that, you do get a lot stares for sure. :D

I am 65 and some time ago my wife (Thai, we've been married over 35 years) asked me "how do you feel when you see an old Farang with a young Thai girl?"

I said "jealous".

Fortunately my wife understands my sense of humour by now and I only hurt for a short while!

Patrick

I never get a stare from a foreigner when I'm with girlfriend. My girlfriend and i get stares from Thais though all the time. When we are by ourselves they don't stare at us at all. It only bothers me when I'm in a bad mood, same with her. The best is when you stare back at them and they piss their pants in fear, well at least the women do, can't say the same for the guys lol.

in BKK I useta get the stares when with my nieces; once with my then 5 y.o. niece who I was carrying thru the sidewalk swarm on upper Suk one evening, their faces a mixture of confusion and disgust ('he had just selected a 5 y.o. to have sex with...')...the little girl was in danger of getting crushed in the swarm and I like carrying her anyway, my wife and 2 older nieces were close by...

then poolside at the Rembrandt hotel with my then 11 y.o. niece; she had noticed how the falangs were luxuriating in the sun on loungers and wanted to try for herself...skinny little beanpole, brown as shoe leather, just me and her together, the rest of our crew out shopping at the Emporium...then I noticed the hostile glares (from the predominately CENTRAL EUROPEAN hotel guests) and when she finally plunged into the pool there were audible cries of dismay and I gathered her up inna towel when she got out of the pool and we got outta there...

I always wondered whether it was her age or her color that was 'of concern' (perceived paedophilia or racism, 'don't want no n*ggers in the bath water'...probably both)...never been back to that stinkin' place...:angry:

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I used to make a point of starting a conversation with this type of people. The women would usually end up with a comment along the line of "your lucky to have a young beautiful wife". My standard reply was/is "she is the lucky one" the chit chat trailed off rather quickly at that point. Sorry to say I have not noticed nor heard remarks/looks like this in the past 10 years. Maybe I am slowing down and its not apparent that we are together.

Excellent reply!

I was on a bus tour to Kanchanaburi once with an extremely attractive young laydee, and two Australian women were giving off the evil vibe. I took great pleasure in speaking with them and seeing them squirm, LOL.

I once got talking to a young farang male tourist, who launched into an attack on all the paedos in Pattaya. I had to tell him that all the old guys walking around with pre teen girls were with their daughters or step daughters!

I once got talking to a young farang male tourist, who launched into an attack on all the paedos in Pattaya. I had to tell him that all the old guys walking around with pre teen girls were with their daughters or step daughters!

I once saw two Western women teacher types pointing at an older expat in disgust and talking very loudly trying to make sure that he could hear them. It was pretty obvious to me that he was innocently walking down the street with his daughter.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Same happens when you are walking with your son. Maybe their is a badge you can wear that says "It's not what your thinking!"

On the right track, just make that a T Shirt.

On the funny side went to a well known restaurant in BKK the other night. On the way out given a handful of condoms as is their custom. So I am wandering down the street with my TGF who is 15 years younger than me (though still middle aged) and a handful of condoms. The snide comments and stares from the tourists were priceless. One sh!t eating smile to the commenter's and that completed a great night out. Next day up in Big C Saphan Kwai is international aids day and once again I am given a handful of condoms. The Thai's were giving the small smiles, knowing what was going on, the older Farang women, the usual BS. Same smile used by me again, made for a great day. Though would be tedious every day.

Must be getting to tourist season again though as starting to notice a few of them around. Oh well either go to work or go bush for a few months.

Cheers

does that give the tourists right to give bad stares at farang/thai couples when they go out

They are just regretting that they brought their wife along on the holiday. :lol:

Don't bring a bag lunch to a buffet.

or sand to the beach.

As for the OP, who cares if people are leering at you. Smile and give them the one finger salute if you are really bothered by it.