Impolite Guests In My Garden

Well, i have a small garden which i am tending since 8 years , source of joy and relax for me and my customers.

The problem, which lately has become a real nuisance , is the cats and dogs of the neighbours , who maybe think my garden is their pets toilette.

I don't hate the pets , but i am a bit pissed with the neighbours , specially with the one who just covered her garden with concrete to accomodate more customers ; obviously her 3 cats now are roaming in my garden day and night. I cannot enjoy a morning coffee anymore 'cause of the cat piss vapours..

Another neighbour's dog has taken my pond for his personal swimming pool. It's frustrating 'cause that guy is aggressive and quite dangerous.( the dog owner i mean )

Well, i could solve the dog problem just fencing the garden , but that would not work with the cats. Moreover i don't like fences.

Not the end of the world , there are bigger problems in life , but i would like to hear some advice from some garden-loving members on how to solve this problem ; maybe somebody have had similar experiences , so at least we may have something to laugh about.

Thanks sbk, i was thinking something similar, btw they say that wolf's urine is the remedy for cats...And skunkum (what is that ??? ) 's urine for dogs..

Well, if i could find a vegetable deterrent would be better.

Also, wolf's urine might stink as well.. :whistling:

I don't recommend the way many Thais would clear the problem - rat poison

I have heard that a small string of Haiter will deter the cats, don't know about dogs (Haiter is a cheap detergent sold in most small Thai shops)

Edited by MikeyIdea

quite simple remedy really, a hand ful of dried star Annise in a cup of boiling water. leave to soak over night, put liquid in a squirty bottle ,spray it on someone elses land or garden ,away from yours, all the dogs and cats in the neighbourhood will go there, the scent of annise drives them nuts, we use annise instead of bait to catch feral cats and dogs

I don't recommend the way many Thais would clear the problem - rat poison

I have heard that a small string of Haiter will deter the cats, don't know about dogs (Haiter is a cheap detergent sold in most small Thai shops)

Thanks Mikey, i think i'll try "Haiter" , even if i think i will have to surround the whole area.

I don't even think about using poison, i am not a criminal !

I had a poor, poisoned dog come to die in the garden a few months ago.. Criminals..

quite simple remedy really, a hand ful of dried star Annise in a cup of boiling water. leave to soak over night, put liquid in a squirty bottle ,spray it on someone elses land or garden ,away from yours, all the dogs and cats in the neighbourhood will go there, the scent of annise drives them nuts, we use annise instead of bait to catch feral cats and dogs

Interesting, and worth a try , but i am likely to become a statistic if they catch me :lol:

not sure I read it from a garden book or from a cat book - ORANGE PEEL ;) cats don't like the smell of orange peel, lemon peel . . . put it around in the garden or fence the garden.

oh . . . check Thai lime peel for Thai cats :-)

or, the big pomelo peels :jap:

They do make a sensor system that turns on a spray of water each time a cat breaks the beam. Place sensors on top of walls or at ground level, direct several sprays to cover all approaches. Solves the cat problem.

USA company I think.

Water hose might work for the dog.

Tell the guy with the Dog that there is a 100b per day charge for his dog to use your pond as a pool for the dog :)

(if the pond is on your land, you have every right to charge admission)

The cat problem is not so easy to remedy, try some of the suggestions above

Well, the guy with the dog is a dangerous one.

He can make trouble for nothing, and did already in the past.. I strictly avoid eye contact with him. ;)

In fact the major problem is the cats, i will give a try with some poster's advice.

As with anything in the Animal kingdom, show fear and get bitten... stand your ground (providing you have the right to!) and tell the guy to bugger off!

That's right. In fact i stand my ground..But i guess you should be aware of the odds if you get involved in a heated argument with a citizen of this country. :whistling:

Not showing fear, just weighting pro and cons ; in my country my garden pond would be frozen at this point of the season.. I'm enjoying the weather here :)

not sure I read it from a garden book or from a cat book - ORANGE PEEL ;) cats don't like the smell of orange peel, lemon peel . . . put it around in the garden or fence the garden.

Good idea.

I used to have 4 cats in the UK and put thinly sliced oranges in the garden where I didn't want them to pee. It worked. The orange/lime slices need to be replaced fairly frequently at first, but cats get the point and move somewhere else to pee etc.

Good idea.

I used to have 4 cats in the UK and put thinly sliced oranges in the garden where I didn't want them to pee. It worked. The orange/lime slices need to be replaced fairly frequently at first, but cats get the point and move somewhere else to pee etc.

It seems a good idea to me too, but just for a very tiny area.

I cannot think to "litter" all of my garden with orange and lime peels, can i ?

I will try it anyway in some crucial spot, just curious to see if it really works !

Thanks again for all contributions :)

Simple tricks. Cats hate citrus zest and whisky; find a way to get that smell where they go and they will not, umm, go. Planting high scent orange trees would no doubt work.

For dogs? Pepper?

Have a night out on Wiskey and Mandarine Napoleon, disarm your urinary system on your desired strategic gardenareas.

If that is not enough try peeled orange and lemon , moulded coffee, vinegar, mothballs, chilipepper and garlic. They do not like the smell of it. They do not like doghair either.

If this does not work ask some pee to your lady moderator.

Have a night out on Wiskey and Mandarine Napoleon, disarm your urinary system on your desired strategic gardenareas.

If that is not enough try peeled orange and lemon , moulded coffee, vinegar, mothballs, chilipepper and garlic. They do not like the smell of it. They do not like doghair either.

Edited by Rooo
remark removed.

they say dried chilli powder is good,i dont now about wolf urine but we have a decendant of the wolf family[alaskan malamute] who pisses every where but it dont detere the cats,and yes it does stink :bah:

All domestic dogs are decendants of wolves.

they say dried chilli powder is good,i dont now about wolf urine but we have a decendant of the wolf family[alaskan malamute] who pisses every where but it dont detere the cats,and yes it does stink :bah:

All domestic dogs are decendants of wolves.

Having personal experience with wolves hunting in Alask and Northern Canda, wolf urin is a LOT stonger than dogs! I have a husky here as a pet, and it is nowhere near the smell of a wolf! You may wan to consider one of the airsoft guns, they sting but do not give a lethal shot, as they are designed for people to shoot each other with in war games!