Ukrainian Victims Of Latest Pattaya Jet Ski Incident

Rimmer

The only way to stop this is to never rent a Jet Ski. They will eventually get you. I did 10 years of trouble free renting but they got me this year. They had to have someone pretend to drown to get me to help but I fell for it! lol

NEVER NEVER AGAIN. Should be put up against a wall and **** :jap:

how much did you get burn ?

The "distressed swimmer" a plant capsized the Jetski. This resulted in the engine ingesting water. They wanted 80,000 Baht. The tourist police assisted and the sum of 16,000 Baht was settled for. The Tourist police went to the repair shop with me. The scumbags were the ones opposite the Royal Garden Plaza. The lady owner was very unpleasant. The entire saga to many hours to resolve.

Personally I would love to meet the gentleman who pretended to be in difficulty again! lol He capsized the jetski in less than half a second. The sad thing is now I would never assist anyone in that situation again. Not that it will ever happen again because I will NEVER rent a jetski again anywhere in the world. I guess I can say that they have saved me money in the long run :lol:

Edited by maprao

Yet more bad publicity for Thailands tourist industry. These jet-ski scams have gone on for years, it's high time the TOT put a stop to the outrageous behaviour of these jet -ski operators. :angry:

Yes, but the publicity is mostly within Thailand itself in local or regional publications, so unless you follow the goings on in Thailand you don't hear of these scams...

Perhaps if someone created a list of links to a few dozen of these stories and sent them to the Associated Press, perhaps these pirates would get some international attention... :whistling:

Send it to Pegas, they bring in all the Russians and other soviets (sic).

it's high time the TOT put a stop to the outrageous behaviour of these jet -ski operators. :angry:

Why what are they going to do ?.....cut off their telephones ?....:whistling:

For a Thai, that would be worse than death, so it's probably the only thing that would work ;) A really sad story, if true. I can think of a few charges against the operators, starting with assault (hands on neck) and kidnapping (the two men held on the beach). Isn't there supposed to be some new system in place for resolving these disputes...seemed like the police may have been trying to go by the book but was prevented by the operator.

There are so many things that could be done to stop this. The list is endless. If the authorities wanted to stop this. If they cared. If they even acknowledged there might be a connection between bad press, bad reputations, and declining tourism. Do you think they have thought of that? I suspect the only way things will change is after the industry declines dramatically, and they something may be done. Some link may be made. Some thought may be put into this. Some authorities with cajones may step forth. Until then, do not expect much. Let's ponder a list of things that could be done to stop this:

block the SIM card of the operators.

publish a list of the names of the offenders, and their locations.

have the police insist that a neutral third party inspect, and give an estimate of damage, of all returning jet skis.

force the operators to take photos of all jet skis before and after each rental.

impose a fine of 100,000 baht per offense, when an operator violates any of the bylaws, which will be instituted by the tourist police.

impose a mandatory jail sentence of 3 years in prison, forfeiture of all equipment, and a fine of 5,000,000 baht if an operator is reported 3 times.

If any of the above suggestions were imposed, it could dramatically cut down on these crimes. These are crime syndicates, operating with immunity. And who is doing anything about it, other than giving it lip service, and an occasional press conference, where pronouncements are made by the mayor, with zero conviction behind them. As usual, the TAT, and any other relevant authority is completely absent, and life goes no. Well, my guess is that if this keeps up indefinitely, Thai tourism will be a mere memory in 10 years or so.

Jeeze, just ban the bloody things.

Like they did on Phuket. smile.gif

But, oh no! What is this? They are still there!ohmy.gif

In UK police will fine you for not wearing a seatbelt then drive off not wearing one. I don't care, we know the rules so it's up to us to comply or pay the fines. At least here in Pattaya they fine you with a smile on their face smile.gif

Hands around your neck is a smile, right?

Yet more bad publicity for Thailands tourist industry. These jet-ski scams have gone on for years, it's high time the TOT put a stop to the outrageous behaviour of these jet -ski operators. :angry:

Yes, but the publicity is mostly within Thailand itself in local or regional publications, so unless you follow the goings on in Thailand you don't hear of these scams...

Perhaps if someone created a list of links to a few dozen of these stories and sent them to the Associated Press, perhaps these pirates would get some international attention... :whistling:

Better, a well organised, global warning via Internet to all travel agencies .. absolute everyone, use Twitter, Facebook, everything. Organise a total boycot. Advise the tousim ministry that enough is enough, and send copies to all major News networks. Include the tuk tuk saga, then all tourists will take note. Make use of Youtube. If you care about it, I mean really care, you can do something. Preaching to the converted here will achieve nothing.

"Jet Skis had already been taken to the repair shop and could not be inspected.'

they went to another planet?

I would have thought the obvious answer would be "Pay for damage? What damage? What jet ski? " Probably not very safe option although the police were there but if they can do this then if people don't rent them they can just demand money anyway.

Better, a well organised, global warning via Internet to all travel agencies .. absolute everyone, use Twitter, Facebook, everything. Organise a total boycot. Advise the tousim ministry that enough is enough, and send copies to all major News networks. Include the tuk tuk saga, then all tourists will take note. Make use of Youtube. If you care about it, I mean really care, you can do something. Preaching to the converted here will achieve nothing.

Why not you get the ball rolling. I will do my part to LIKE it.

First mistake is to rent anything from a Thai person in Pattaya. Pattaya Police are rumored to pay for their job in Pattaya because of this kind of thing involving payoffs to the police. The BIB here will take money from you for not wearing a helmet on your motorcycle, and then drive away on their motorcycle without a helmet on. A badge in this place is just a license to steal. I live 2 "villages" north, about 20 kilometers, and the police are actually helpful, considerate, and lead by example most of the time.

Not true, or perhaps not always true. Left Pattaya this past Wed after staying there for a few nights, was driving a car and came through the checkstop where police were pulling over motorbikes for not wearing helmets. There was like half a dosen bikes parked on a shoulder and al of them were Thais.

says all 3 got damaged, Thats around 25k each. Sounds about right considering they will also be out of the water and a loss of business which would be considerate.

Do tourists really expect the jet skis to be shopped for 3 quotes.

what am I missing ?

what you are missing is that this is pulled multiple times up and down the beach on a daily basis. yesterday i saw 6 indians rent near the best friend bar at 17 30 and by 18.00 they were surrounded by the beach mafia demanding money with menaces. i had watched them in the bay and they had done nothing wrong. It was my first day back in town and i had not got down to the beach till after 5.

So if the operator cannot prove damage when the police ask, then they should be told no money....

heard before if you are stupid enough to rent from these scamers take photos of jet ski before you start with time and date of picture recorded but as they will shoot your legs off if you do not pay them for what ever they decide you have done and are protected by the BIB. the question comes to mind why go near the place at all

TAT could start by placing adverts on the baht buses, then on the farang TV channels, and a few every night on that big Walking Street sign. I fear for a country that is so corrupt at every level of power that those in control can not stop the Jet Ski Scams. What do they have of preventing drugs, alcoholism, idiotic driving, or the troubles in the South.

says all 3 got damaged, Thats around 25k each. Sounds about right considering they will also be out of the water and a loss of business which would be considerate.

Do tourists really expect the jet skis to be shopped for 3 quotes.

what am I missing ?

what you are missing is that this is pulled multiple times up and down the beach on a daily basis. yesterday i saw 6 indians rent near the best friend bar at 17 30 and by 18.00 they were surrounded by the beach mafia demanding money with menaces. i had watched them in the bay and they had done nothing wrong. It was my first day back in town and i had not got down to the beach till after 5.

Yes I am aware of the scamming and seen the nasty videos where they threaten with physical violence however in this particular case it was confirmed all 3 were damaged.

Pattaya Jet Ski Operators detain tourists

PATTAYA: -- "Jet ski Pattaya" caused damage to the good image of Pattaya, beating and detaining Ukraine tourists and demanding 100,000 Baht for the damage which was much expensive than the actual cost.

Pattaya, December 8, 2011[PDN]; At 7.00 p.m.Pattaya police, Chonburi province together with tourist police from 4 control division 2, rushed to investigate in front of the Welcome hotel, 2nd Pattaya road, south Pattaya after having been notified by the Ukrainian tourists that they had been beaten and detained by jet ski rental operatives and demanded a sum that was more expensive than the real cost.

When police arrived at the scene they found Ms. Elena age 23, Ms. Anastasia age 25 and Mr. Tata age 29, all Ukrainian tourists talking with Mr. Sarayuth Jaemad age 34 and Mr. Nattaphum Phumnok age 25, from the rental jet ski company in front of the Royal Department Store, south Pattaya, the officer asked the Ukrainian tourists what happened before the incident occurred, 5 Ukraine tourists, 2 women and 3 men had rented 3 jet skies from Mr. Sarayuth for 30 minutes for 700 THB but the 3 jet ski’s showed a some scrape damage but Mr. Sarayuth asked for the damage costs from Ms. Elena, the rider of Prai Kaew jet ski 400 US dollars and from Ms. Anastasia, the rider of Kor Kaew jet ski 1,288 US dollars and from Mr. Tata, the rider of Olive jet ski 700 US dollars, which were together approximately 78,000 THB. The Jet Ski operators squeezed the neck of Ms. Elena before taking the 3 tourists to get money at their hotel room in the Welcome hotel, south Pattaya and detained of the male tourists for guarantee at the beach in front of the Royal department store, south Pattaya, until they got the full amount of money for the jet ski damage, they then released the tourists but the Ukrainians thought that it was not justified and although frightened they called to consult with their friend of the same nationality, he advised them to ask for assistance from the police.

Full story HERE

-- PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2011-12-11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

it's high time the TOT put a stop to the outrageous behaviour of these jet -ski operators. :angry:

Why what are they going to do ?.....cut off their telephones ?....:whistling:

For a Thai, that would be worse than death, so it's probably the only thing that would work ;) A really sad story, if true. I can think of a few charges against the operators, starting with assault (hands on neck) and kidnapping (the two men held on the beach). Isn't there supposed to be some new system in place for resolving these disputes...seemed like the police may have been trying to go by the book but was prevented by the operator.

There are so many things that could be done to stop this. The list is endless. If the authorities wanted to stop this. If they cared. If they even acknowledged there might be a connection between bad press, bad reputations, and declining tourism. Do you think they have thought of that? I suspect the only way things will change is after the industry declines dramatically, and they something may be done. Some link may be made. Some thought may be put into this. Some authorities with cajones may step forth. Until then, do not expect much. Let's ponder a list of things that could be done to stop this:

block the SIM card of the operators.

publish a list of the names of the offenders, and their locations.

have the police insist that a neutral third party inspect, and give an estimate of damage, of all returning jet skis.

force the operators to take photos of all jet skis before and after each rental.

impose a fine of 100,000 baht per offense, when an operator violates any of the bylaws, which will be instituted by the tourist police.

impose a mandatory jail sentence of 3 years in prison, forfeiture of all equipment, and a fine of 5,000,000 baht if an operator is reported 3 times.

If any of the above suggestions were imposed, it could dramatically cut down on these crimes. These are crime syndicates, operating with immunity. And who is doing anything about it, other than giving it lip service, and an occasional press conference, where pronouncements are made by the mayor, with zero conviction behind them. As usual, the TAT, and any other relevant authority is completely absent, and life goes no. Well, my guess is that if this keeps up indefinitely, Thai tourism will be a mere memory in 10 years or so.

Yep, so many ways they could stop the scams, but clearly no offical in Pattaya has any interest in making things safer.

As these crimminal activites become better known, toursits will shy away from coming here and go to better managed destinations like Malaysia

In the end Thailand will be left with the cheap-charlies and sex-pats.

TAT could start by placing adverts on the baht buses, then on the farang TV channels, and a few every night on that big Walking Street sign. I fear for a country that is so corrupt at every level of power that those in control can not stop the Jet Ski Scams. What do they have of preventing drugs, alcoholism, idiotic driving, or the troubles in the South.

The TAT spends it's time covering this stuff up. They will never warn travelers. It could hurt tourism....

I think the Mafia probably has a good grip on that organization too.

Freinds in the tour business tell me horror stories dealing with them.