I'M Gonna Learn To Ride A Motorbike In Phuket

grumpyoldman

and ride after drinking some alcohol.

ride after drinking some alcohol, in Phuket, really? Say it's not so!

But the newbie rider who has to deal with local rider riding the wrong direction while smoking a cig and talking on his cel phone, will not be aptly prepared thus should not begin riding here.

The only speed bumps I've come across have been on small sois, where nobody should be driving fast enough to be 'put out' by them.

Grumpy - I only started riding 'bikes when I came here. Being terrified at first, I have been fortunate enough to not be involved in an accident.

But, now I love it!

But I do agree - young tourists should not be allowed anywhere near them.

• 4 weeks later...

Your quote suggests you were going to fast if you had to avoid tourists on a roundabout!! never have I had to avoid these so called tourists, I would suggest people slow down and look ahead for possible problems!!

Kenny..<deleted>.. I dont drive fast, especially on roundabouts, i have been driving around Chalong circle ever since it was built

that circle has more accidents on it than most places in Phuket,thats the reason why, i quoted it laugh.gif

Since you have been driving around the Chalong circle ever since it was built it would be interesting to know when that was

The cure for unlicensed bike riders is having to show a license which qualifies you to ride a motorbike when you rent it

Which will never happenhappy.png

The cure for unlicensed bike riders is having to show a license which qualifies you to ride a motorbike when you rent it

Have you got a Thai driving license for a motorbike?

Do you know what the test to get one involves?

If you do, then you will know that having possession of a Thai driving license for a motorbike in no way makes you fit to drive a motorbike.

If you hold a motorbike license from a Western country, then, that is a good first step to driving on the roads in Phuket safely.

Edited by KarenBravo

Have you got a Thai driving license for a motorbike?

Do you know what the test to get one involves?

If you do, then you will know that having possession of a Thai driving license for a motorbike in no way makes you fit to drive a motorbike.

If you hold a motorbike license from a Western country, then, that is a good first step to driving on the roads in Phuket safely.

I have both a Thai and Australian motor bike license, the Australian one is a open

license which allows you to ride any size bike and i have had it for over 40 years

How long have you held a license apart from in Thailand, the driving test is a joke here

I have both a Thai and Australian motor bike license, the Australian one is a open

license which allows you to ride any size bike and i have had it for over 40 years

How long have you held a license apart from in Thailand, the driving test is a joke here

I used to drive a motorbike in the UK for about a year only. Have been driving a motorbike in Phuket for 27 years and my driver education was self-taught. Back then the roads, what there were of them, were far less busy. I wouldn't want to learn in the present day; too dangerous.

Yes, the driving test is a joke. That's my point.

Handing out licenses to the unlicensed will solve nothing. Driver education will.

I used to drive a motorbike in the UK for about a year only. Have been driving a motorbike in Phuket for 27 years and my driver education was self-taught. Back then the roads, what there were of them, were far less busy. I wouldn't want to learn in the present day; too dangerous.

Yes, the driving test is a joke. That's my point.

Handing out licenses to the unlicensed will solve nothing. Driver education will.

half full glass or half empty?

when I moved here 9 years ago just about no bike riders had a DL or knew what a YIELD sign was for

today +70% of the riders have a DL and of them perhaps 70% learned what a YIELD sign is for

they also learn who has the right of way, to be in the left lane when wanting to turn left and other more or less important things

Huge progress if you ask me

Still a long way to go, but for me this is a half full glasscowboy.gif

The Por Or Bor (compulsory insurance) has been suggested to move up to 200k baht limit pay out, from todays 50k baht. It requires DL to pay out. This may make more riders want to get a DL, more education, more skilled drivers. Skilled as at least knowing basic rules.

Th is moving forward, evolution not revolution