Bank Loan For Uni Student

Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this one. I have a friend who's son wishes to attend university (mahidol - yes i know expensive) but they cannot really afford it.

Has anyone heard of a Thai bank lending money to the student to be repaid at the end of the study period or during the study period in small amounts of say 3000 baht per month.

Or does this just now happen from Thai Banks for students?

"cannot really afford it"

Why doesn't your friend go to a school that (s)he can afford? Why doesn't your friend get a loan in his/her home country? If a Thai institution lends money, it expects to be paid back - how will the money be paid back? Does the student-to-be have a work permit to get a job? Of course not! I expect that your friend will try to pull a fast one, skipping the country without repaying the loan.

The OP doesn't stipulate that the student is a foreigner. It might very well just be a local trying to fish for a loan or assistance from the OP.

That said, I've never heard of a student loan system here. You can test to compete for government funds though... both for study here and abroad. You don't have to pay it back either, but you do have to do time in a government post when you finish though, often 2-5+ years.

:o

BTW, the usual option for students with ambition but no money, is Ramkhamhaeng university (open university). It's not quite free, but sufficiently cheap that non-drinking, non-gambling students are able to work their way through university. Evening courses are an option.

Mind you if they're currently living in Nakhorn Prathom, they'll have the extra cost of renting a room near the college.

A degree from Ram' is not very well regarded, so for someone who has the choice, it does make sense to choose Mahidol. Do you find yourself being called Luang Dekka? :o