Bbc Worldwide To Launch Channels In Thailand

Wedemeyer

BBC Worldwide president Worldwide Networks and global BBC iPlayer Jana Bennett has announced plans to launch BBC branded channels in Thailand early next year.

In her first appearance at Casbaa since joining BBC Worldwide in February this year, Bennett officially unveiled new channel launches in Taiwan and Indonesia.

BBC Worldwide will launch BBC Knowledge, BBC Entertainment, BBC Lifestyle and CBeebies in Thailand in January 2012.

In Taiwan, BBC Worldwide Channels has concluded a deal with Chung Hwa Telecom to launch BBC Knowledge, BBC Lifestyle and BBC Entertainment on MoD, the company's IPTV platform. This is the first appearance for the channels in Taiwan, and they will be unveiled to press in Taipei on 23rd November.

Growing the portfolio in existing markets: In Indonesia, BBC Lifestyle is now available on NexMedia, joining BBC Knowledge and CBeebies in that market.

Serving audiences with the best content: 1 November sees the launch of Lonely Planet on BBC Knowledge, the ultimate destination of travel-related programming. Arctic with Bruce Parry will launch the new block and Free Rein - an original commission for BBC Knowledge from Lonely Planet's production arm - will premiere in December.

Starting with season 18 which begins early next year, 'Top Gear' will air on BBC Knowledge within two weeks of going out in the UK.

Indiantelevision.com

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to pay a subscription for BBC Entertainment, here in the Middle East

I have cancelled it.

Too many repeats of programmes 5 years or more old. :bah:

I wonder how they will handle the marketing, as I understand that True

has exclusive rights to satellite TV in the Kingdom?

I used to pay a subscription for BBC Entertainment, here in the Middle East

I have cancelled it.

Too many repeats of programmes 5 years or more old. bah.gif

I wonder how they will handle the marketing, as I understand that True

has exclusive rights to satellite TV in the Kingdom?

I used to subscribe to platinum here in the Kingdom - just for BBC Entertainment. When they changed it to a music chanel - I got rid of it.

And I, like you, understood that True was a monopoly.

Bring on the competition!!!!

Doing a free trial run on a service that allows BBC's iPlayer (among others) to stream over the 'net here. Just watched the rather excellent "Tamara Drew" with decent quality and only lost the connection once.

However, I didn't see any value in being able to watch the cringeworthy stuff on Top Of The Pops 1976 Christmas Special. <deleted>!!!!

BBC Worldwide will launch BBC Knowledge, BBC Entertainment, BBC Lifestyle and CBeebies in Thailand in January 2012.

Yes, curiously, the OP article makes absolutely no mention of on what platform or service BBC will be bringing those channels to Thailand.... NEXT MONTH???

True previously dumped BBC Entertainment....and not all that long ago.... So it would seem unlikely four different BBC channels including Entertainment would suddenly appear on True...

So then what.... one of the several fledgling IPTV operators that are trying to get off the ground? Or GMM's satellite service that got the ASN sports channel away from True? Or one of the others?

I get BBC World News now on Happy Home Cable in BKK...which oddly is placed on Channel 0 on their system... For a package that costs less than 300 baht per month with no decoders or remote add-on charges, it also includes the Universal, Sony, SyFy, Channel V International, Animax, Fox News and NHK World channels.

The OP also reported that BBC Entertainment would return to True Visions last February along with Australia Network and ITV Granada. Then, in March, we were also to get Fox Crime. Didn't happen.

I also downgraded from Platinum to Gold when they dropped BBC Entertainment in favour of the appalling AXN Beyond in mid-2009 and told them why, as did many others. Didn't make a blind bit of difference.

I'm hesitant to get my hopes up again.

I am not sure the BBC really know the satellite market in Thailand.

Indonesia and Taiwan may be a whole different ball park.

Come to think of it, does the BBC marketing know the difference between Thailand and Taiwan?????????????

The OP also reported that BBC Entertainment would return to True Visions last February along with Australia Network and ITV Granada. Then, in March, we were also to get Fox Crime. Didn't happen.

Ahh.... you mean this...

Posted 2011-01-02 07:20:32

True Visions Upcoming Channel

Febuary:

BBC Entertainment

Australia Network

ITV Granada

March:

Fox Crime

http://www.thaivisa....oming-channels/

Or this from the same OP

Posted 2011-02-16 19:09:54

Hi Guys

BBC Entertainment will return on true visions soon

Nicky

Not a great track record at predictions, it seems...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I assume you're talking about:

I never got the magazine even when I was a True subscriber... Can you tell what True programming package or packages those channels are being assigned to?

The True website has their programming schedule up for January now... But as best as I can see, it doesn't seem to reflect any of those BBC channels...at least as yet.

I assume you're talking about:

I never got the magazine even when I was a True subscriber... Can you tell what True programming package or packages those channels are being assigned to?

BBC Knowledge - Platinum & Gold

BBC Lifestyle - Platinum & Silver

BBC CBeebies - A la carte

BBC Entertainment - A la carte

VS.

BBC Knowledge - Platinum, Gold and Silver

BBC Lifestyle - Platinum, Gold and Silver

BBC CBeebies - Platinum, Gold and Silver

BBC Entertainment - Platinum, Gold and Silver

Do you guys want to work out which one of you is correct here?

VS.

BBC Knowledge - Platinum, Gold and Silver

BBC Lifestyle - Platinum, Gold and Silver

BBC CBeebies - Platinum, Gold and Silver

BBC Entertainment - Platinum, Gold and Silver

Do you guys want to work out which one of you is correct here?

Yes

I suppose True will be showing the BBC channels while they enjoy

the trial period,then as soon as they have to cough up the money,

they will cancel them again.

With the usual response,we have done a survey of our viewers

and no one wants these programs ,they have never surveyed

me or anyone I know,but we are only paying viewers and never

have any say ,they have always just done whats good for them and

sod the customers.

take care, regards Worgeordie

Great so we will now have four bbc channels showing progs that were broadcast at least 5 to 7 years ago in the UK ,think i will go on downloading stuff from the internet that was on uk tv last night and watch it for free

ps and even the stuff they do broadcast will be repeated so many times you will know the lines better than the actors..

Edited by thaimate

BBC Lifestyle (ch 58) is listed as Platinum. I'm getting the other three right now on my Gold subscription. BBCE on ch 149, CBeebies on Ch 150 and BBC Knowledge on ch 22.

That's perfect for me. The last thing I need is another "lifestyle" channel. Personally, I'm happy with BBC Knowledge and BBC Entertainment.