Do You Like When The Beach Road Footpath Becomes A Market?

James3113

I hardly go a day without using the footpath but now it is a market until January 1, 2012! So walking is no fun anymore as there's barely any room not to mention the exposed molten lava hot cooking oil of food vendors, slow walkers, strollers, smokers, etc!

Although having a kebab vendor at the podium in front of Mike Shopping Mall was handy...

In general i loathe them if the footpath is already narrow. I haven't been to the Pattaya one.

The one on Ramkhamheang road bkk, every night, is a pain in the arse. If u choose to walk on that side of the road it x4 or x5 or x6 your trip time. Myself and half the others end up using one lane of the road to avoid the stalls.

In this case the foot traffic is 99% Thai.

A further downside is that everytime i find a tee shirt i like they only have the M not the L mellow.png

I don't think anybody like it, but having said that, I don't think complaining about it here will help. It's always been like that, just getting worse year by year. Every year you think it can't get worse, and then somehow it manages anyway.

I don't think it's good for the economy really. On balance I think more is lost by tourists who dislike it and don't return, and tell their friends not to go, than the small money earned by selling a tshirt or some plastic knick-knack.

That's a good point also. What they sell is almost all monotonous crap. If they had more interesting stuff that actually changed over time, that would be some value. People go to JJ market because they actually expect to find good bargains on interesting goods. No such luck on Beach Road.

That's a good point also. What they sell is almost all monotonous crap. If they had more interesting stuff that actually changed over time, that would be some value. People go to JJ market because they actually expect to find good bargains on interesting goods. No such luck on Beach Road.

Some very good bargains on Beach road especially during big marketing events like the 2 night fireworks, there must have been 100,000 people crowded on the street and sidewalk, not tourists but locals, the food stalls do very well, while I dislike it this is their country not mine, I have to adapt to their way of doing things not visa versa.

Life is too short to complain about the things we cannot change.

If we were talking about the rest of thailand I might agree with you, but this is Pattaya, probably the largest tourist area in Thailand. It may be their country, but unless they make it an attractive place for tourists they will not gain the full potential. Pattaya being what it is there will always be "tourists" here but I understand they want to move into different markets.

Heck no. I hate it. It is monotonous and the same thing for over a mile. It is bad enough the beach in Pattaya is really not a beach by any normal standards. You really can't lay out a towel and lounge. Just try not renting one of those cheap cloth chairs. Now the endless market selling the same thing just clogs things up.

I don't really care about the walking on beach rd, (-i don't walk)

but it always comes with (even more) traffic jam, so i don't like it.

But i have found good bargains on beach rd, especially compared to go-go, and especially in low season

Edited by poanoi

When they have these markets on Beach Rd they should make the entire area pedestrian. Then it would be quite pleasant. In fact I wish they would permanently ban all private cars anywhere west of 3rd Rd.

Spoken like a true pedestrian.

They are preparing the Plan B in case they are unable to reverse the severe erosion of the beach! Another downmarket flea market is exactly what this town needs.

To answer the OP, I hate it because I really don't think it is beneficial to the locals in the long term but in the meantime, it degrades their beach further.

I was just thinking about this. I spent the morning on the beach opposite Central Festival and then walked along the beach promenade to Royal Garden. So annoying.

They've trashed the (admittedly poor) shrubbery on the promenade and have set up stalls on both sides of the promenade so there is only about a four foot wide space to walk down. If someone stops to look at stuff or you're behind some slow walker, it's instant blockade.

There's flags outside Central Festival Mall saying "Gift Festival" and I saw somewhere else promoting a "Beer Festival". I've been here during the so-called "Music Festival". Whatever they call it there's always the same tourist crap on sale.

I feel sorry for the guys who normally jog or power-walk along the beach in the mornings.

I wonder why any expat who has been living here for a while would

want to go downtown pattaya at all. To many alternatives for almost

everything you might want to do ...

I personally don't like that beach road "market" at all. If I need any 'crap'

I usually go down to the Terpasit flea market over the weekend or make

the trip to the JJ market for any serious shopping ...

But I can see how that chaos might be 'interesting' and 'intriguing' for

tourists - at least once in a while ...

Cheers,

rudi

Edited by luudee

I wonder why any expat who has been living here for a while would

want to go downtown pattaya at all. To many alternatives for almost

everything you might want to do ...

I personally don't like that beach road "market" at all. If I need any 'crap'

I usually go down to the Terpasit flea market over the weekend or make

the trip to the JJ market for any serious shopping ...

Cheers,

rudi

nothing more to add...thumbsup.gif

Beachroad is tourist area, thus annoying. With or without market.

I try to avoid the area west of third road as well as I can.

Only Tukcom/Friendship...but the rest, no thanks

Edited by vel_tins

I think it's not about the economy (ha!) and less about the vendors and their profit than about the mafia renting the booth space to vendors, good income whether the vendors make money or not. Since this stream has been discovered and appreciated, more and more street markets are offered.

I think it's not about the economy (ha!) and less about the vendors and their profit than about the mafia renting the booth space to vendors, good income whether the vendors make money or not. Since this stream has been discovered and appreciated, more and more street markets are offered.

Agreed. There is definitely a local talent to over exploit such things to death. Care about quality of life about zilch.

Every time a calendar event approaches, lunar new year, chinese new year, Loy Kratong, "farang expectation of new year" Whatever...Stalls will be set up on every available peice of ground, balloon's will be inflated, 20Bt car parks will appear out of no'where, If it is such a drag to all the long term expats that voice it as so.......stay in for the week end, go home or f........well you know what i mean!!! Some of us love the diversity and have no desire to replicate "Home/ the West"

Merry Christmas !!!!!

Was there today with the whole family. Not easy to push my 2 year old son in his cart but at least people gave way when we came along but more than a few looked annoyed, he-he.

Bought myself shirts - T shirts and reading glasses all to a good prize.

The vendors I spoke to was polite and smiling (good business?).

60 bath to park the car on the parking space between beach/2 road near Mike shopping, no too bad considered only 100 meters down to the "madness".

All in all a good day.

If you don't like it, stay away and stop wincing its Christmas for Christ sake, LOL.

Was there today with the whole family. Not easy to push my 2 year old son in his cart but at least people gave way when we came along but more than a few looked annoyed, he-he.

Bought myself shirts - T shirts and reading glasses all to a good prize.

The vendors I spoke to was polite and smiling (good business?).

60 bath to park the car on the parking space between beach/2 road near Mike shopping, no too bad considered only 100 meters down to the "madness".

All in all a good day.

If you don't like it, stay away and stop wincing its Christmas for Christ sake, LOL.

Some of us that live in Pattaya and have to drive here so we can't just stay away. Beach Road is a major traffic artery here in Pattaya and unless they do something about the vendors also using the road to store their goods, double parking, motorcycle parking, and cart parking we can't get from one side of Pattaya to the other

I dont like it. I am part of the whinging brigade.

I like to walk around a lot but Pattaya is so filthy at the moment that the beach is one of the few places you can get some fresh air but unfortunately it is clogged up with vendors selling the usual rubbish bric a brac.

It is not like there aren't enough markets and junk stores in Pattaya already!