Thai Law

drum

Being involved in a 'punch up' is, by itself, not necessarily a criminal offence. The actual offence committed would depend on specific charges relating to damage or injury to persons or property, resisting arrest etc.. The more serious the offence the greater the penalty one would imagine.

It depends on the luck of the draw at the police station. If you look more beat to hell than the other guy, the policeman has had the crap kicked out of him recently, you have a good chance at a monetary payout. The split of the money probably has a lot to do with your potential compensation

It may be best to just knock hell out of the guy and then leave the premises via back door.

It depends on the luck of the draw at the police station. If you look more beat to hell than the other guy, the policeman has had the crap kicked out of him recently, you have a good chance at a monetary payout. The split of the money probably has a lot to do with your potential compensation

It may be best to just knock hell out of the guy and then leave the premises via back door.

Premises in Thailand have a back door?

Premises in Thailand have a back door?

The way there built, you can easily make one.biggrin.png

Being involved in a 'punch up' is, by itself, not necessarily a criminal offence. The actual offence committed would depend on specific charges relating to damage or injury to persons or property, resisting arrest etc.. The more serious the offence the greater the penalty one would imagine.

Is there a TV award for quoting the bleeding obvious?

From experience, it seems to depend on who won the fight and who is bleeding more...regardless of what happened.

It also depends on whether both people were farang or one was Thai. If both farang, police don't really care.

Speaking Thai can also change the game, as can 20 screaming Thai people who say you were in the wrong.

So if you are a farang who beat a Thai badly and dont speak Thai....good luck.

Is there a TV award for quoting the bleeding obvious?

I'm sorry, did you feel I was patronising you? And your positive response would be...?

Yes. You will spend about 40 years in a Thai prisonwai.gif

really for a punch up,,your kidding right,,

who takes control local police or tourist police,or the heavy mob,the riot police,,

Yes, I’m kidding, sorry. Best thing to do is avoid that kind of crap. Just get up and leave.

A staff member of mine was involved in a punch up at my service station, whilst on shift. Being involved in a punch up/melee is nothing unusual in this neck of the woods, however, this particular incident went trough the police, to the court & sentencing.

Short outline:

Drunk customer came into the service station to fuel his car. Started harassing one of the female staff, who happened to be married to another staff member. Staff member tells the drunk customer to back off/stop harassing his wife. Drunk customer grabs my staff member and belts him a few times. Staff member hits back in self defense. Police arrive and break it up.

Police take details and try to sort it out on the spot. My staff is adamant that he wants a formal report taken, and charges to be laid. Police are reluctant to do this, however go through with it.

Goes to court. Drunk customer is fined 1000B for fighting, my staff member is fined 600B for fighting back.

In the eyes of the court both are in some degree in the wrong.

A staff member of mine was involved in a punch up at my service station, whilst on shift. Being involved in a punch up/melee is nothing unusual in this neck of the woods, however, this particular incident went trough the police, to the court & sentencing.

Short outline:

Drunk customer came into the service station to fuel his car. Started harassing one of the female staff, who happened to be married to another staff member. Staff member tells the drunk customer to back off/stop harassing his wife. Drunk customer grabs my staff member and belts him a few times. Staff member hits back in self defense. Police arrive and break it up.

Police take details and try to sort it out on the spot. My staff is adamant that he wants a formal report taken, and charges to be laid. Police are reluctant to do this, however go through with it.

Goes to court. Drunk customer is fined 1000B for fighting, my staff member is fined 600B for fighting back.

Incredible and sad.

i was accused of assault when i defended myself against an attack by a scorned ex-gf.

she attacked me on at the door of my apartment and i bear-hugged her to pin her arms and dumped her at the lift before sprinting back and locking the door.

she reappeared with the police and claimed i had hit her.

i think the cops told me the fine for assault is 500baht (or something close to it) and the compensation is to be agreed between agressor and victim depending on medical costs etc.

the cops were initially very agressive towards me, then wary and surprised when i spoke thai to them, them bored when it went on and on with her refusing to leave and me refusing to pay.

the senior cop clearly running out of patience finally took me aside and explained that if it did get to the station it could potentially cost me a lot more than an on-the-spot settlement and advised me to see what i had to hand and offer that.

i had 7k on me and she took it and left.

Edited by GooEng

If you hit a Thai the payoff will be higher than if you hit another foreigner.

If a Thai hit you then you will still have to pay even if you didn't retaliate, as well as punitive damages, eg the guy who hit you hurt his knuckles and you have to pay the doctor bills.

And of course the owner and management will have their hands out as well.

Other Thais present will also demand recompense for any number of creative claims.

Farang has to pay. always. They may as well give us Santa Claus hats when they issue our visas.

Drunk customer is fined 1000B for fighting, my staff member is fined 600B for fighting back.

What a sad story. Have they answered what the staff member supposed to do? Just wait?

The BIB used to charge my GF 500 baht for beating up men in a Thai bar in Pattaya. Only 500 per fight and not per man.

The BIB used to charge my GF 500 baht for beating up men in a Thai bar in Pattaya. Only 500 per fight and not per man.

Spot on....think 500bht is the standard charge..well thats what the BIB charge if they got to do any paper work jap.gif

Spot on....think 500bht is the standard charge..well thats what the BIB charge if they got to do any paper work jap.gif

Yeah 500 baht is my understanding, a few years ago I had a fairly heated argument with a British neighbour of mine, who had been shouting at my two year old for being noisy; we had words and he called the police to say that he feared he was under threat. So the police came knocking on my door, sat down had a chat and a glass of Scotch and told me "okay hit him, not too bad - 500baht". It was somewhat amusing, the fact that the BIB who attended often played cards with the Wife; I was surprised that they even bothered coming out. Anyway, we didn't have any further conversations with that neigbour, and even the Condo management complained about his bad attitude.