Time For A Decent Taxi Service .

CFCjeff

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum, but have lived in pattaya for the past 2 years, and before that in sakon nakhon. I live on the darkside in nongprue, and it pees me off that i cant get a taxi at night time to take me, the wife, and baby out for the evening. I have a motorcycle, but sukhumvit rd at night ( no thanks!) and the baht bus stops at 6 pm in soi nernplubwan. Im guessing its something to do with the baht bus mafia not allowing it. Any views please ? PS. not in a position to buy car yet !

I did a poll on this a long time ago, and there was OVERWHELMING support for a real Bangkok style taxi meter program in Pattaya. However, dark forces control most everything here, the phony taxi meters we do have are owned by the same outfit that owns the baht buses, this was approved by City Hall, so like most long term people, I have come around to the opinion that the situation is HOPELESS. The dark forces only get stronger and stronger. Look what is going on on the beach market now.

There are foreign examples of dark forces being challenged, such as in Sicily, but for that to ever happen it takes many brave local people who are willing to literally sacrifice their very lives to make change happen over several years. Here in Thailand, the vast majority of local people believe corruption is normal and they totally tolerate it, many want to know mostly how they can get in on it.

Like I said -- HOPELESS. Cope or move. Sorry.

Edited by Jingthing

The earlier suggestion to collect phone numbers of drivers that you can hire privately is probably the best you'll be able to do. I tried to hire one recently - he wanted 1000 Baht for 3 stops in 45 minutes -- I thought that was a bit over the top.

What I would find puzzling if this wasn't Thailand-- is that there are a significant number of fairly influential civic minded business people here who claim to be trying to convert Pattaya into a world class family destination resort and to eventually play down the "party-town" image that has put Pattaya on the world map.

Even the mayor claims to support this vision, but none of them make the connection that as long as you force visitors to bounce around in the back of pick-up trucks without shock absorbers, over broken roads, with drivers who barely know the difference between an accelerator and a brake pedal --and don't know how to use either properly-- the world-class-resort vision hasn't got a chance.

Yes, as JT says, it's very deeply ingrained dark forces at work. If it could be reformed, it would be much better for all --including the ones who keep the dark forces entrenched-- but, after several years here, it's evident to me that it's simply not possible. The intellect and political will to make such changes is absent.

i had the same problem till i had this nr 0892536863

the thai girl use to take kids to school

after the hours she take peopel any where in pats

she speaks english

in the late hours her french husband go whit her safety on the dark side

she lives somewhere round khoa thalo thats near nong prue

Collect some Phone Numbers from Taxi drivers you use often. They usually work till late.

Agree to above. You can also try one of the private taxi cars that go to the airport and ask them for a fare and a phone no.

Yes don't drive a motor bike after dark on Sukhumvit road, especially with a baby, its too risky.

I was actually thinking about this just recently. I live in Pattaya proper, and enjoy being able to walk to places I want to visit (the beach, Friendship, etc.), but where I stay has problems now. I was considering moving to the dark side, but realized there was no way to get to Pattaya proper for a reasonable price.

Ok, so this gets me thinking--start a van or bus service hourly for the many people who wish to visit Pattaya from the dark side. Oops, I immediately thought, cannot do that as the interests of others mentioned in this thread would be impinged.

I dont understand this problem.

I have no private transport so I chose to live on a public transport route and can get around with no difficulty 24/7 for 10B. My accommodation might cost me a little more for this convenience.

If I wanted to live in the back of beyond then I would expect to have to get my own transport, or do a lot of walking, or pay through the nose. That's why accommodation is cheaper in the back of beyond; because it isn't convenient to get to.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.

"Maybe it sounds a silly idea"

It's not a question of motorbike, car, truck or tuk-tuk -- Driving any motor vehicle in Pattaya is not only a silly idea, but very dangerous and some would say absolutely insane . . . ohmy.png

Has anyone ever seen the nightly Slaughter-on-Sukumvit segment on the TV news?

Edited by SurfRider

I was actually thinking about this just recently. I live in Pattaya proper, and enjoy being able to walk to places I want to visit (the beach, Friendship, etc.), but where I stay has problems now. I was considering moving to the dark side, but realized there was no way to get to Pattaya proper for a reasonable price.

Ok, so this gets me thinking--start a van or bus service hourly for the many people who wish to visit Pattaya from the dark side. Oops, I immediately thought, cannot do that as the interests of others mentioned in this thread would be impinged.

Depends where you want to relocate to, we are very lucky in the Huay Yai area, the light blue baht buses run every 15 - 20 minutes and serve a few routes through the district, all the way to Pattaya for 10 Baht !!!, makes a mockery of the fares charged within Pattaya!

So not only do you have the comfort of rural living but also a regular, reliable and CHEAP public bus service!

I dont understand this problem.

I have no private transport so I chose to live on a public transport route and can get around with no difficulty 24/7 for 10B. My accommodation might cost me a little more for this convenience.

If I wanted to live in the back of beyond then I would expect to have to get my own transport, or do a lot of walking, or pay through the nose. That's why accommodation is cheaper in the back of beyond; because it isn't convenient to get to.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.

The other option is to call a meter taxi. O yea. They are scammers with a city hall contract.....

It's not a question of motorbike, car, truck or tuk-tuk -- Driving any motor vehicle in Pattaya is not only a silly idea, but very dangerous and some would say absolutely insane . . . ohmy.png

I don't really understand what you are on about, OP says that he don't want to drive motor bike at night on Sukhumvit road thats why he started this topic in the first place.

I drive both motor bike and car here but avoid the motor bike on Sukhumvit road after dark as it is risky due to drunk/speeding drivers and so on. The vehicles gives me the freedom to get around as I want, my life would be hell without them as I also live in a house and have kids too.

If you live in a foreign country you have to LIVE and not be too scared of doing so, if you are you better go home to whatever country you came from

I don't really understand what you are on about, OP says that he don't want to drive motor bike at night on Sukhumvit road thats why he started this topic in the first place.

I drive both motor bike and car here but avoid the motor bike on Sukhumvit road after dark as it is risky due to drunk/speeding drivers and so on. The vehicles gives me the freedom to get around as I want, my life would be hell without them as I also live in a house and have kids too.

If you live in a foreign country you have to LIVE and not be too scared of doing so, if you are you better go home to whatever country you came from

I agree that driving here is crazy. Took me quite some time to get use to it, but it's no big deal now. You get use to the crazy scooter drivers. Many of whom are farang. mad.gif

I couldn't imagine living here without transportation. Being able to drive to Bang Saray, Rayong, Khao Yai, etc would not be possible. Trips to the store would be tough. Getting around in the rainy season would be no fun. And the baht bus is just plain misery. As long as you avoid Central Pattaya, a car is the only way to go.

I don't ride the bike on Suk at all. And try to avoid driving late at night even in the car. Suk for sure is a death highway late at night.

Back to the OP, I have some friends who live in Jomtien who also hate the baht bus. They found a private driver who takes them pretty much anywhere they want to go in the area for around 200B. In a nice air con car. You just have to look around for them.

Depends where you want to relocate to, we are very lucky in the Huay Yai area, the light blue baht buses run every 15 - 20 minutes and serve a few routes through the district, all the way to Pattaya for 10 Baht !!!, makes a mockery of the fares charged within Pattaya!

So not only do you have the comfort of rural living but also a regular, reliable and CHEAP public bus service!

The only problem is, that the Huay Yai baht buses run from about 5am to 5pm. Not good for the bar chasers.

"If you live in a foreign country you have to LIVE and not be too scared of doing so, if you are you better go home to whatever country you came from"

An expat friend who has been here for 18 years was recently in a motorbike accident. He never knew what hit him and woke up two weeks later in the BPH Intensive Care Unit. Broken collar bone and a few other major injuries. When he was able to walk again, he walked to the scene of the accident. Two street vendors came up to him and said they saw the accident. He asked what happened?

Two Thais in a pick-up truck came out of a side street and smashed him. Hit-and-run-- they were never caught. Fortunately some good Thais called the police and got him to the hospital as soon as possible.

BPH check-bin was over one million baht -- his motorbike insurance paid 15,000 baht. No other insurance-- he is too old to be eligible for Thai medical insurance. Not cheap, but life in Pattaya is only cheap until such an incident happens. I told him I hope he doesn't ride a bike again. He's lucky to be alive!

"If you live in a foreign country you have to LIVE and not be too scared of doing so, if you are you better go home to whatever country you came from"

An expat friend who has been here for 18 years was recently in a motorbike accident. He never knew what hit him and woke up two weeks later in the BPH Intensive Care Unit. Broken collar bone and a few other major injuries. When he was able to walk again, he walked to the scene of the accident. Two street vendors came up to him and said they saw the accident. He asked what happened?

Two Thais in a pick-up truck came out of a side street and smashed him. Hit-and-run-- they were never caught. Fortunately some good Thais called the police and got him to the hospital as soon as possible.

BPH check-bin was over one million baht -- his motorbike insurance paid 15,000 baht. No other insurance-- he is too old to be eligible for Thai medical insurance. Not cheap, but life in Pattaya is only cheap until such an incident happens. I told him I hope he doesn't ride a bike again. He's lucky to be alive!

Very sorry to hear about your friend. But I've heard sooooooo many stories like this. Just not worth riding a bike here. I don't have 1MM Baht to spare. Even driving a car here is dangerous. But necessary.

I am sorry about your friend.

Many expats here started on motor bikes when they moved to Thailand and are not what you call a hard core biker. I started riding bikes in Denmark at 18 years (+30 years ago) old because I was always fascinated about them and loves the fell of riding one. Here in Thailand its way more risky to ride one compared to EU due to the amount of mad drivers, so after my son was born I sold my beloved Harley and only ride small scooters now. Its not without risk but I love the freedoms it gives me so I don't intend stop riding them yet and hope I can keep on riding for many more years and I fell very confident when riding a bike but if your time is up its up and not much you can do about it.