Phuket Or Samui

I'm a 34 yr old guy currently living in Sydney. Been to Phuket loads and thinking of moving there for 6 months or so. But now thinking samui might be more fit me ... Looking more for expats my own age to hang out with rather than sitting in go go bars and sampling the local p4p scene... Would I be right thinking that samui is more up my street ?! Any advise welcome ... Looking at early feb move

Neither nor, as you are simply 20 years to late.

Both places are rip off too, very unfortunately.

Also, most people are not going to the beach anymore afer a few years,

while you realize all the negative aspects of living in a prime tourist area with only

money in mind and very little choices regarding to the rest of the kingdom.

Thailand is still great..... somewhere else.

Hi Craig,

Both places have got their plus & minuses.Being a rip off , that can happen anywhere from Bangkok, in your case Darling Harbour or whatever destination in the world. At the end of the day it's what you perceive as value for money.

Sure it's dearer in parts that mainstream Thailand or up country villages , but you still have choices of either International type bars & restaurants or local venues.

Many a debate on this forum about the cost of living here, again all depends on your life style & your spending power.

People that tell you it was great 20 years ago, are probably still living in another world. Places change & people change ,but the island still has a lot of charm & a lot to offer. Visitors that bother to get out of the main tourist areas will tell you the same.

You will see a lot of negative responses, most of them are from people that have somehow either had a failed business venture, failed relationships or tried to survive here on a shoestring budget. or perhaps Craig they got disappointed that the locals are not living in bamboo huts & come out & bow to the great foreigner (sorry couldn'thelp myself ).

You can travel around as I said outside the tourist areas & have a look. particularly South of the island.

You can get involved with local organisations , Expat clubs,Rotary etc... get to meet people from different walks of life.

Anyway , give it a go & make up your own mind, Good luck.

A bit negative ! Hopefully many will disagree ?!

depends which way you look at the post !,

Both places are rip off too, very unfortunately - Agree, to the the first timer, but there are still some good places to be found, but takes time

Also, most people are not going to the beach anymore afer a few years, - this is in most parts true, long termers NEVER go to the beach !, novelty worn off

of living in a prime tourist area with only money in mind and very little choices - there is a point here, but it is what you make it !,

Hi Craig,

Both places have got their plus & minuses.Being a rip off , that can happen anywhere from Bangkok, in your case Darling Harbour or whatever destination in the world. At the end of the day it's what you perceive as value for money.

Sure it's dearer in parts that mainstream Thailand or up country villages , but you still have choices of either International type bars & restaurants or local venues.

Many a debate on this forum about the cost of living here, again all depends on your life style & your spending power.

People that tell you it was great 20 years ago, are probably still living in another world. Places change & people change ,but the island still has a lot of charm & a lot to offer. Visitors that bother to get out of the main tourist areas will tell you the same.

You will see a lot of negative responses, most of them are from people that have somehow either had a failed business venture, failed relationships or tried to survive here on a shoestring budget. or perhaps Craig they got disappointed that the locals are not living in bamboo huts & come out & bow to the great foreigner (sorry couldn't

help myself ).

You can travel around as I said outside the tourist areas & have a look. particularly South of the island.

You can get involved with local organisations , Expat clubs,Rotary etc... get to meet people from different walks of life.

or perhaps Craig they got disappointed that the locals are not living in bamboo huts & come out & bow to the great foreigner

perhaps they have never gone back to a Bargirls Hometown then

(sorry couldn't

help myself ).

Hi Craig,

You will see a lot of negative responses, most of them are from people that have somehow either had a failed business venture, failed relationships or tried to survive here on a shoestring budget. or perhaps Craig they got disappointed that the locals are not living in bamboo huts & come out & bow to the great foreigner (sorry couldn't

help myself ).

or perhaps Craig they got disappointed that the locals are not living in bamboo huts & come out & bow to the great foreigner

perhaps they have never gone back to a Bargirls Hometown then

(sorry couldn't

help myself ).

Boater, just because you are spoiled mate.whistling.gif

Samui in 10 years time could look like Phuket. So come on over now whilst you have the chance!biggrin.png

It's a small island. Takes an hour to motor around. Which means that you are never more than 15 minutes away from the places you want to be, or don't want to be, if that makes sense. Bars, clubs, nightlife, fancy restaurants, road side stalls, busy beaches, deserted beaches, night markets, mountain walks, we've got them all.

The negatives are some of the costs of being here - and getting here, taxis, roads, lack of policing etc. But as Rooo says, these might not matter at all depending on you and your spending power or needs. I came here a few years ago and soon found I didn't need to buy so much, most of what I enjoy is for free.

As always, it is a good idea to come over for a month or so and see for yourself.

You make the most of where you are!

The only down side to Samui is the cost of airfares to get off the island for a break. However if you have time on you hands a quick trip to the mainland will reduce this cost.

Come to Samui, try it if you don't like it you can always go back to Phuket :)

I am sure you will enjoy yourself here.

I've looked at both with a view to moving as a well. There are lots of ex-pats of all ages in both locations. Probably more that are over the 50 year old range in both though.

A lot of the young guys come and go and ARE there for the bargirls and drugs and booze and have long term liquidity issues. But of course there are a lot of decent people also.

IMO, Phuket has more things to do, but Samui has a little more charm. You said you have visited Phuket a few times. Samui would be a good option to try for a few months. if you live away from the Chaweng/Patong areas the experience should also be heightened

Be interested in your future postings on which one you prefer. Good luck!

Neither nor, as you are simply 20 years to late.

Both places are rip off too, very unfortunately.

Also, most people are not going to the beach anymore afer a few years,

while you realize all the negative aspects of living in a prime tourist area with only

money in mind and very little choices regarding to the rest of the kingdom.

Thailand is still great..... somewhere else.

Thought we saw the last of you Nalak

• Like 1

I have lived on samui for more than 10 yrs. It has changed and the prices have climbed but so has everywhere else. I still go to the beach several times a week, i dont swim in it but i enjoy people watching and the white sand beaches in south chewang are a great place to chill. I have a good friend who is a world traveler and when he stays on samui he joins the pool league and quiz teams from those he meets enough people to enjoy himself doing all sorts of things that i am not into. My son and i still go off road even though the thrill is almost gone as the trails are now roads and easy enough for almost anything to trek and the views from the mountains are still wonderful. i own land in hua hin and cha am because we thought we might live there but in the end Samui has won out over all other places. Phuket does offer more choices because of it having road access to land it is less costly to travel to and from but I have never been able to feel like it was the right place for me to be more than a few days.

One of the biggest drawbacks with Samui, is that it is an island connected to the mainland by ferries of aircraft. Phuket, you just drive over the bridge or Select an airline to get you away. No such choice with Samui. Getting off costs time and money.

Sorry guys, but I agree with the first reply. Both Samui and especially Phuket are past their prime unless you're looking for a week in a luxury resort and paying top dollar for all the little things. If you want thirty somethings, get a job in bkk. If you want more unspoilt TL, head to the provinces. If you look down on older expats and the p4p types of things, well they're all over TL. My advice, spend the first of your six months checking out a short list of places not limited to the main tourist destinations.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Sorry guys, but I agree with the first reply. Both Samui and especially Phuket are past their prime unless you're looking for a week in a luxury resort and paying top dollar for all the little things. If you want thirty somethings, get a job in bkk. If you want more unspoilt TL, head to the provinces. If you look down on older expats and the p4p types of things, well they're all over TL. My advice, spend the first of your six months checking out a short list of places not limited to the main tourist destinations.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

30 something Bkk would be my choice hands down, no doubt.

Always humours me why so many people on this forum comment about costs and rip off. Prices were never mentioned in the original post.

Thailand is no more of a rip off than where ever you come from, especially Australia.

Coming to Thailand expecting $1 beers and $5 accom is a thing of the past. Just like it is in all countries

I have lived in both Samui and Phuket. And Phuket was my favourite, but not Patong area.

Samui is mainly bottom end whingers and backpackers with limited options of things to do. Phuket has much more variety.

Samui is mainly bottom end whingers and backpackers with limited options of things to do. Phuket has much more variety.

Perhaps you should do a bit more research before making such an insulting comment.

The usual negative rubbish being posted here, by a few : saai.gifI think Rooo summed it up well!

... Within close distance to me, in Maenam, I can think of at least half a dozen people in your age group, doing exactly what you want to do.... and seem to be enjoying their stay... paying as low as 2500 baht a month to 4500 baht for rent with basic furniture admittedly, no frills, and do pay extra for electric..... but they seem happy enough ....(some have been here over a year) ..... all within 2 kms to Maenam beach... and it's really not far to get to any other areas of the island....

There are others who pay 8000 baht or more for rent....or more, but there are choices in all price ranges ... you just need to search around to see what suits you.... It comes down to what you enjoy doing, there is lots more than the bars! ....

Ban Rak, Chawang etc.... Prices for restaurant food, motor bike rental etc, can be double or more in those areas than in "quieter" areas of the island ... quiet but not dead! smile.png

It really ain't that bad.... but you will only find out by trying it for yourself.... It's easy enough to move!

Roo having lived on Samui for 2 years I think that entitles me to an opinion. There are plenty of nice people, but also plenty of bottom feeders.

Samui lives off it's reputation of 20 years ago. When it was one of the most beautiful islands in the world. Now unfortunately not.

However I do agree with Samuijimmys comment about there being pockets of nice areas. But what sort of rats nest do you get for 2500baht per month? When I lived there 4 years ago I paid 25,000 bht. It was an okay house, but certainly no mansion.

Suppose the best thing to do is go and see for yourself. Samui maybe perfect to your needs. And if not, go back to Phuket.

Roo having lived on Samui for 2 years I think that entitles me to an opinion. There are plenty of nice people, but also plenty of bottom feeders.

Samui lives off it's reputation of 20 years ago. When it was one of the most beautiful islands in the world. Now unfortunately not.

However I do agree with Samuijimmys comment about there being pockets of nice areas. But what sort of rats nest do you get for 2500baht per month? When I lived there 4 years ago I paid 25,000 bht. It was an okay house, but certainly no mansion.

Suppose the best thing to do is go and see for yourself. Samui maybe perfect to your needs. And if not, go back to Phuket.

Never said you were not entitled to an opinion, merely objecting to your generalisation & your choice of words.

Please also read my post,I said it's not for everyone.

Can I also point out that of all the people that like & defend Samui, not one has rubbished Phuket, so of course I do take offence when someone insults my home.

As to Craig, you will never know if you never go lol.

bare in mind you are asking a group of people who have chosen to live in Samui would they choose Phuket or Samui to live. think the obvious thing is the people on here prefer Samui otherwise they would be Phuket, and i guess if you were to ask people in Phuket where they would rather live, again its obvious, Phuket thats why they live there.

having lived in both i would choose Phuket every time.

Haha the typical and to be expected replies to a question like this, from Roo's reasoning to Beng's bulls**t!

Craig, I'm 35 and moved here 6 months ago so I guess we are the same demographic.

The truth is Samui is not like it was 20 years ago, of course it's not. But then neither is Phuket or anywhere else. Time stands still nowhere, people who expect it to are deluded.

Despite what the failures say it is not particularly expensive here, but as people have said you live to your own budget.

Samui is still a tropical island, Phuket is not - more charm here.

Phuket is easier and cheaper to get to - you decide if that's an issue.

They are lots of guys here who aren't just here for the bars, but then plenty who are; You're a big lad so you will easily be able to differentiate the 2 and choose your crowd.

I love it here, and wouldn't live anywhere else. You do have the taxi issue here, just as you have it any other issues elsewhere.

If I were you having spent so much time in Phuket I would come here for a month and suck it and see.

Feel free to send me a PM.

You can do what I did when I first came to Thailand. Start in Bangkok, then Pattaya, then Phuket, and finally Samui, spending at least one month in each place. I decided on Samui in 2005 and have lived here ever since. Once I established a base in Samui I began visiting the rest of Thailand. You know that you are living in the right place when every time you visit somewhere else you miss your home. If I ever find a place where I don't start missing Samui then I will move there. It's not for everyone, but then what place is? Get started on your journey and just have an open and clear mind. I would also suggest that you come with a friend (not a girlfriend).

Edited by parallaxtech

Actually that 2500 baht place ain't so bad ...Cement, not wood, tile floor etc... one reasonable size room, with shower / toilet room adjoined with out door kitchen, (I would not want that!) then a huge separate room upstairs, which the current farangs renters use as a living and computer room... Tinted windows all around and good general views.... Also includes wifi, although that being TOT is down more than it's up!

I know Thai's and Burmese, who live in one room wood shack with a tin roof who pay more than 2500 baht PM !

The other places at 3500 to 4500 baht I mentioned are the Thai "row houses" 4 basic rooms including the loo....... surprising how many farangs rent those... but do not provide much privacy .... not for everyone!

As for these people who say you'll be bored out of your mind, well that depends on what type of hobbies you have... some people can't seem to get beyond the front door...or perhaps the nearest bar stole? ..... and enjoy what is around them... well they would be the ones who are bored! That said, at some point everyone gets bored, that's when it time to make a change of scenery, as Paraplaxtech says and head off for a break... always nice to "come home" .... even just popping over to Koh Phangan for a day or two can do that!

There are other places close to me that charge in the 90,000 +- PM, range too.... you have so many choices and types of areas to choose from !

I cannot personally compare with Phuket or Pattaya, as I never been to either! .... heard to many stories !!!! crazy.gifsmile.png ......Guess BKK would be OK if you could stand the noise and smog! wacko.png

Thanks for all the comments... I have a place I can stay for free in Phuket so will use that as a base and head over to samui for a few weeks and check it out...

Lots of points make sense...

Bkk - not an option as I want the beach. I've been in Sydney 10 years and still go almost every day. The beach doesn't wear off me

Costs- was looking at 15-20k ideally for a nice ish 1 bedded .

Transport- selling my bike in oz and looking to buy a dtracker to explore on

Beach?

no endless rows with beach chairs and umbrellas from one side to the other for how much? 150?

Not so many hawkers and jet skies

Most resorts here are next to the beach, Phuket > there is almost always a busy street in between, where you even are not always allowed to park the car

by far not so many tourists

palm-lined

a lot of nice restaurants, clubs and bars right on some parts of the beach

at certain places on some beaches you can still have that old relaxed tropical island feeling

Bkk - not an option as I want the beach. I've been in Sydney 10 years and still go almost every day. The beach doesn't wear off me

This doesn't do it for you? passifier.gif

IMG_2058b.jpg

Siam Water Park, NE Bangkok.

Thanks for all the comments... I have a place I can stay for free in Phuket so will use that as a base and head over to samui for a few weeks and check it out...

Costs- was looking at 15-20k ideally for a nice ish 1 bedded .

Transport- selling my bike in oz and looking to buy a dtracker to explore on

Craig,

Don't worry whether you want the beach or not is irrelevant to the folk who want to tell you to live in bkk so they can slag samui and phuket off. Just the same as they will tell you its a rip off without knowing anything about your budget/income.

You'll get a nice house for that money, we have one in that range 30 yards from a great beach.

Enjoy coming getting to know the island!