2012 Honda Cbr 600F

KRS1

The Honda NC700X is a whole new breed of motorcycle. Talk about a car company that happens to make motorcycles. For myself, I know jack squat. See what Kevin Ash has to say about it.

Wow - certainly an interesting read & an interesting bike. The article says it's made in Japan.. 50hp and 228kg doesn't really get me excited though... (from tech specs section here http://www.huntsmotorcycles.co.uk/NewBikes/honda-nc700x.htm)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Honda NC700X is a whole new breed of motorcycle. Talk about a car company that happens to make motorcycles. For myself, I know jack squat. See what Kevin Ash has to say about it.

Wow - certainly an interesting read & an interesting bike. The article says it's made in Japan.. 50hp and 228kg doesn't really get me excited though... (from tech specs section here http://www.huntsmoto...onda-nc700x.htm)

There appears to be a free trade agreement with Japan also. Edited by KRS1

Wow - certainly an interesting read & an interesting bike. The article says it's made in Japan.. 50hp and 228kg doesn't really get me excited though... (from tech specs section here http://www.huntsmoto...onda-nc700x.htm)

There appears to be a free trade agreement with Japan also.

Sure there is, but it's an annual reduction stretched out over 10 years and with the Yen as strong as it is the reduction in tariffs has little effect on the end price in Thailand. Hell, Red Baron is importing most bikes direct from the US these days because sourcing them from Japan is just too expensive.

Great... so just as Honda farked up the world class VFR by adding VTEC from their cars now they're going to produce a maxi-scooter using an engine that shares a lot of components from the Honda Jazz?!

And they're putting this underpowered car-like engine into an overweight platform...

50Hp, 228Kg and a redline at 6500rpm?!?! OMG how boring do they want this bike to be?

The article says "the NC700X is the first modern motorcycle engine designed primarily for fuel efficiency rather than a high power density". Well, if fuel efficiency is the over-riding concern, why not buy a 125-150cc scooter? What can this big heavy maxi-scooter do that a PCX or Wave or Click can't?

I dunno guys... The article says that this is one of the first Honda bikes that's got design inputs from automobile engineers.

"they had meetings with engineers from Honda’s car division once or twice a month for two years during the design process, the first time this has happened at Honda."

Is that supposed to be a good thing?

And the way I read it, this is going to be a bike that drives "rides?" more like a car...

For now it's made in Japan, so if imported to Thailand you can expect to pay around ~4xxk Baht, perhaps even 500k Baht if you add all the bells and whistles for this overweight, underpowered scooter-bike in the Land of Smiles... No thanks!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

There appears to be a free trade agreement with Japan also.

Sure there is, but it's an annual reduction stretched out over 10 years and with the Yen as strong as it is the reduction in tariffs has little effect on the end price in Thailand. Hell, Red Baron is importing most bikes direct from the US these days because sourcing them from Japan is just too expensive.

Good point about the strong Yen. This is why Honda is going to move some large and midsize motorcycle production to Thailand.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T111128005292.htm

I was really excited when i saw the Honda NC7 in the thread - i'm thinking of changing my bike soon and would like an alternative to another 650 Ninja or Er6n...My excitement waned as i read on - it seems it could be under powered and over priced :-(

Back to Kawa i go...

It better be cheaper than the Versys- it's down some 20 Hp from the Kwacker, innit?

Strip it down and you discover it's not a motorcycle. It's a maxi-scooter dressed up to look like a motorcycle:

Honda700.jpg

IF Honda sells it cheap I'm sure it will sell well as an easy to ride commuter bike.

One of the reasons the Honda DN-01 flopped so badly was the exhorbitant price tag... (And the fact it was butt ugly and boring as hell to ride...)

honda-dn-011.jpg

Hopefully Honda learned from that disaster and will do better with this new scooter-bike.

Agree about the maxi-scooter comments (as well as that hideous DN-01).

The horsepower is a fair enough comment as long as it is also mentioned that the ER-6 needs 1,5x the revs to get there. In fact the ER-6 never exceeds the torque of the NC700. They're quite different bikes; the Honda seems to be for those new to biking, those toddering along and the Kawker (at least the faired one that had the "R" dropped from its name) seems to be aimed more towards those who want to be boy racers but can not/will not lay out for the real thing.

I'm not going to speculate on performance because there are incomplete data sets; going by the published HP the Kawasaki should destroy it; however as I remember correctly the great 250 debate (where by published figures the Kawi had even a greater percentage lead than in this current discussion), the results had the Honda winning some and the Kawasaki winning some.

However, it does come down to price, doesn't it? I also agree completely with you; it seems incredulous that Honda will be able to offer the bike for less than the ER-6 and even I would not be able to defend it then...

Great... so just as Honda farked up the world class VFR by adding VTEC from their cars now they're going to produce a maxi-scooter using an engine that shares a lot of components from the Honda Jazz?!

And they're putting this underpowered car-like engine into an overweight platform...

50Hp, 228Kg and a redline at 6500rpm?!?! OMG how boring do they want this bike to be?

The article says "the NC700X is the first modern motorcycle engine designed primarily for fuel efficiency rather than a high power density". Well, if fuel efficiency is the over-riding concern, why not buy a 125-150cc scooter? What can this big heavy maxi-scooter do that a PCX or Wave or Click can't?

I dunno guys... The article says that this is one of the first Honda bikes that's got design inputs from automobile engineers.

"they had meetings with engineers from Honda’s car division once or twice a month for two years during the design process, the first time this has happened at Honda."

And the way I read it, this is going to be a bike that drives "rides?" more like a car...

For now it's made in Japan, so if imported to Thailand you can expect to pay around ~4xxk Baht, perhaps even 500k Baht if you add all the bells and whistles for this overweight, underpowered scooter-bike in the Land of Smiles... No thanks!

wow you are a true Honda hater.

Nonsense, I think the CBR600RR and CBR1000RR are fantastic bikes. But other than the supersports I really do feel like Honda has completely lost the plot. (Oh, I understand Honda makes a really good 250cc dirtbike too, but I don't know much about dirtbikes so really can't comment on that.)

And before you label me a "Honda hater" please consider that I've been the proud and happy owner of quite a few fantastic Hondas over the years.

I have fond memories of my first 'real' sport bike, a Honda Hurricane 600 that I bought used way back in 1990.

Looked just like this one:

Honda-CBR_600_Hurricane-1988.jpg

Then I got a brand new CBR F2 a couple years later which was a fantastic bike. God I loved that bike. So much so, that after it got totaled by a drunk driver in '95 I got another F2!

Honda-CBR-600-F2-001.JPG

Brought it to Japan in '97 and had loads of fun, but sadly had to leave it behind when I moved to Thailand as it would have been too much hassle and expense to try and get it road legal here icon_sad.gif

So, I'm not a "Honda hater", but there is a lot to hate about Honda's new NC700. Have you seen the "Integra" version?

honda_integra_2012.jpg

<deleted> is going on at Honda?! Don't they already have a car called Integra?! Surely a candidate to ugliest bike of the year, no? violin.gif

Nonsense, I think the CBR600RR and CBR1000RR are fantastic bikes. But other than the supersports I really do feel like Honda has completely lost the plot. (Oh, I understand Honda makes a really good 250cc dirtbike too, but I don't know much about dirtbikes so really can't comment on that.)

And before you label me a "Honda hater" please consider that I've been the proud and happy owner of quite a few fantastic Hondas over the years.

I have fond memories of my first 'real' sport bike, a Honda Hurricane 600 that I bought used way back in 1990.

Then I got a brand new CBR F2 a couple years later which was a fantastic bike. God I loved that bike. So much so, that after it got totaled by a drunk driver in '95 I got another F2!

Honda-CBR-600-F2-001.JPG

Brought it to Japan in '97 and had loads of fun, but sadly had to leave it behind when I moved to Thailand as it would have been too much hassle and expense to try and get it road legal here icon_sad.gif

So, I'm not a "Honda hater", but there is a lot to hate about Honda's new NC700. Have you seen the "Integra" version?

honda_integra_2012.jpg

<deleted> is going on at Honda?! Don't they already have a car called Integra?! Surely a candidate to ugliest bike of the year, no? violin.gif

Ok, we get it:

biggun.jpg

Honda-CBR-600-F2-001.JPG

honda_integra_2012.jpg

yes the Integra is a horrific scooter!! and sorry for calling you a "Honda Hater" the last few post I read from you where quite negative. The NC700x/s isn't what i expected to be.

but this forum is about the CBR600F and that's the bike I would be hoping to come in April

Edited by blackpanda

I think the CBR600RR and CBR1000RR are fantastic bikes. But other than the supersports I really do feel like Honda has completely lost the plot. (Oh, I understand Honda makes a really good 250cc dirtbike too, but I don't know much about dirtbikes so really can't comment on that.)

Honda-CBR-600-F2-001.JPG

honda_integra_2012.jpg

yes the Integra is a horrific scooter!! and sorry for calling you a "Honda Hater" the last few post I read from you where quite negative. The NC700x/s isn't what i expected to be.

but this forum is about the CBR600F and that's the bike I would be hoping to come in April

I reckon the CBR600F is a FANTASTIC bike- it's based on the Honda Hornet frame and CBR600RR engine and by all accounts is a top quality bike and a great ride. Of course it won't be cheap here in Thailand... If they import it for sale at the new Big Wing showroom I'd guess it will sell for just over 500k Baht. Perhaps a bit more if they offer the ABS version. It'll piss all over the Kawasaki 650 twins, but is it worth twice the cost? Tough call...

If Honda are going to make a 600cc bike available in Thailand wouldn't it be more likely to be a CBF600N or the faired and ABS equipped S version. Especially if they want a lower price to rival the Kawasakis. Honda still make a few decent bikes like the VFR1200F, CB1300SA, CBF1000F and the NT700VA Deauville- barring the Dullsville jokes they are very capable bikes. I have omitted the VFR800 coz they bolloxed it up with V-tec. The Blade and CBR600RR are in my opinion impractical, I can hardly sit on them they are that cramped and too much weight on your wrists for an everyday bike.

too much weight on your wrists for an everyday bike.

If you're putting weight on your wrists you're doing it wrong...

7708.jpg

555 I was going to say that...

You never want to have weight on your wrists... or grab the handlebars hard... there was a video floating around not too long ago with tips from pro bikers, they asked racers what they thought was most important in biking. Very informative. All of them mentioned to not hold the handlebars too tightly...

This was the last CBR600 I had way back in 97 Was the F3 Pre-RR model days

Traded it in on a new 900RR after a few years

Would like to have one in LOS if the price was right & they did bring them in.....But That's a lot of if's wink.png

• 2 months later...

I heard from an insider that Honda will launch a new big bike to compete with the Ninja 650, launch date still to be defined.

It will be the NC700 as mentioned above, i remember reading a website via Google Translate that the NC700 will be released here in Thailand and aimed to go head to head with the ER6 and Ninja 650, good luck with that Honda....

The CBR600F, much to my disappointment, will be an import only for the foreseeable future sad.png

Edited by karlos

I give up on AP Honda. Anyone see that 2012 CBR1000 at RedBaron for 680,000? Better than a Jap restricted version at 799,000? Even if they released a rival to the er6 I could probably get a better bike for the same price elsewhere. Waste of space, at the best they will fail with their entry to the big bike market, at the worst they will succeed and drive up prices for the rest of us while offering restricted, overpriced bikes.

I give up on AP Honda. Anyone see that 2012 CBR1000 at RedBaron for 680,000? Better than a Jap restricted version at 799,000? Even if they released a rival to the er6 I could probably get a better bike for the same price elsewhere. Waste of space, at the best they will fail with their entry to the big bike market, at the worst they will succeed and drive up prices for the rest of us while offering restricted, overpriced bikes.

apparently all these top spec bikes at red baron are about to get a kick in the nutz

grab one while theyre still bringing them in at that price because a lot of people are saying

they are going to be forced to charge a full 200% import tax on every bike soon which will likely

make them as expensive or likely more expensive than the Ape honda versions from japan

I heard from an insider that Honda will launch a new big bike to compete with the Ninja 650, launch date still to be defined.

It will be the NC700 as mentioned above, i remember reading a website via Google Translate that the NC700 will be released here in Thailand and aimed to go head to head with the ER6 and Ninja 650, good luck with that Honda....

The CBR600F, much to my disappointment, will be an import only for the foreseeable future sad.png

NC700 as (overpriced) import, or produced locally?

I think the bike's a turd but as long as it's imported it's also an expensive turd...

• Like 2

apparently all these top spec bikes at red baron are about to get a kick in the nutz

grab one while theyre still bringing them in at that price because a lot of people are saying

they are going to be forced to charge a full 200% import tax on every bike soon which will likely

make them as expensive or likely more expensive than the Ape honda versions from japan

Maybe, maybe not. TiT, there's always a solution or workaround jap.gif

So, you can pay 799k for a Japan-spec restricted CBR1000RR at the Honda Big Wing or you can buy a brand new USA spec 2012 Honda CBR1000RR from Red Baron for 680k Baht:

http://www.redbaronbkk.com/products/item.php?id=120331-0000615

Bravo Red Baron! clap2.gif

• Like 1