Christian Evangelicals In Thailand

TheKeeNok

TV Watchers,

How do you all feel about the many different religious groups vying to convert the locals? You have the Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses and Christian Evangelicals! I personally find the CEs the worst of the bunch. Have any met the CEs who work out of schools in Pak Chong? "Reaching out to the unsaved"

I am not religioua, but realize it serves a purpose for many!

The Mormons make me laugh! smile.png Love their "uniforms"

Edited by TheKeeNok

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Church of the latter day saints used to get up my nose when I lived in Hong Kong. They used to loiter outside a public toilet near a ferry I had to catch and would try to convert you as you tried to enter. So lacking in common sense they tried to lecture you prior to passing water. Insufferable fools. As a result, when I see a squeaky clean lad who really would benefit in terms of cultural development from a night in cowboy, wearing his shirt tie and little badge, I have flash backs of the time one of the followed me in, and his quick retreat after my threat to urinate on him.

• Like 1

We came to Thailand to escape religious and political persecution. Now the extreme religious converters follow us. Where and when does it stop........ angry.png

They were here long before you were. Most hurt no one and are doing what they think is right.. Live and let live I say. wai.gif

• Like 2

We came to Thailand to escape religious and political persecution. Now the extreme religious converters follow us. Where and when does it stop........ angry.png

They were here long before you were. Most hurt no one and are doing what they think is right.. Live and let live I say. wai.gif

“I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.” ― Jimi Hendrix

Four hundred years before the religiously-paranoid Drdaveperry, to be exact. wink.png

The health of Chiang Mai, for the last 150 years, owes a lot to Christian missionaries who established the first hospital. The king of Thailand journeyed to there from Bangkok to specifically thank and honor their contribution to Thai society. If it's good enough for the king, it should be good enough for you, Ching mai?

Edited by Fookhaht

Perhaps Thailand should remain the reserve of criminals on the run, sex tourists, missfits and loosers.

Certainly if you had the mind to look for people who ought not be allowed into Thailand Christian Evanagelists or indeed any faith groups would not be the top of the list.

There are large numbers of disabled children dumped in orphanages, the stateless, people suffering from HIV/AIDS and the off spring of the sex industry who have nowhere to turn but to the help, food, accommodation, education and health care provided in Thailand by people of faith.

The OP no doubt makes his contribution and is nothing but a boon to Thailand.

Absolutely agree! smile.png

Love what the Christian Evangelicals have done to African nations like Nigeria! Where ever the CEs have gone in Africa you find religious conflict! GOOD JOB! Check out the tyeps of buildings that get burned down! The lasting legacy of CEs!! smile.png

Edited by TheKeeNok

That's one of the few things that really gets under my skin. I'm up in Issan, goto the night market, and see a bunch of mormons wandering around offering "free English lessons". Ughh... in my mind, that's the height of arrogance. You're a guest in a foreign country that's like 99.5% Buddhist, and you proceed to wander around basically telling everyone their beliefs aren't right, so they should listen to you, because your beliefs are the way to go.

I have a difficult time thinking of something more arrogant and pompous than that.

• Like 2

Unlike anti-religious bigots, of which there are many on TV....

"Thailand Can Teach Us About Religious Tolerance

Christian missionaries in Thailand are here to stay. There is also a small percentage of the Thai nation that belongs to the religion. Thailand is proud of its religious tolerance, and we ex-pats should follow this example; live and let live and all that. I personally feel that the religious tolerance of the Thai people is a great example for the world."

Read more...

• Like 1

Love what the Christian Evangelicals have done to African nations like Nigeria! Where ever the CEs have gone in Africa you find religious conflict! GOOD JOB! Check out the tyeps of buildings that get burned down! The lasting legacy of CEs!! smile.png

Your view of recent African history is a bit skewed.

Most of the violence took place after anti-religious leaders came to power (many by force) and kicked out the CE missionaries so they could have a free hand in stamping out local evangelical congregations, who were a philosophical threat to their inhumane regimes. Not unlike what happened in Nazi Germany, early Castro Cuba, and late 1940's Communist China.

Edited by Fookhaht

That's one of the few things that really gets under my skin. I'm up in Issan, goto the night market, and see a bunch of mormons wandering around offering "free English lessons". Ughh... in my mind, that's the height of arrogance. You're a guest in a foreign country that's like 99.5% Buddhist, and you proceed to wander around basically telling everyone their beliefs aren't right, so they should listen to you, because your beliefs are the way to go.

I have a difficult time thinking of something more arrogant and pompous than that.

According to other sources it's under 95%. smile.png

Perhaps Thailand should remain the reserve of criminals on the run, sex tourists, missfits and loosers.

Certainly if you had the mind to look for people who ought not be allowed into Thailand Christian Evanagelists or indeed any faith groups would not be the top of the list.

There are large numbers of disabled children dumped in orphanages, the stateless, people suffering from HIV/AIDS and the off spring of the sex industry who have nowhere to turn but to the help, food, accommodation, education and health care provided in Thailand by people of faith.

The OP no doubt makes his contribution and is nothing but a boon to Thailand.

Absolutely agree! smile.png

Your view of recent history is a bit skewed.

Most of the violence took place after anti-religious leaders came to power (many by force) and kicked out the CE missionaries so they could have a free hand in stamping out local evangelical congregations, who were a philosophical threat to their inhumane regimes.

So you feel that the philosophy of the Nigerian gov't needed to be changed and it was the job of CEs to bring about this change? Very, very interesting!

Nigeria has one of the most promising economies in all of Africa. I don't think Nigeria, or any other country needs UNWANTED outside influences. Nigeria has always had its problems, but with the CEs trying to upturn the apple cart the situation has just gotten worse! CEs come in trying to manipulate and change what already exists thinking what they are offering is better. This is simply not the case! CEs want to help? Let them try sans the moral and religious preaching. It's not like Nigeria is living in a moral and spiritual void!

Peace brother!! :)

Edited by TheKeeNok

A bit annoying are the ones that walk into your home or office (talking about some of our streetside shophouse properties that aren't shops) without knocking or ringing the doorbell. 'Before you ask me what the name of God is, you need to back the hell up.'

:)

• Like 1

According to other sources it's under 95%. smile.png

Chop the south bit of Thailand off, and I bet it jumps quite a bit. Come up to Issan, and I bet it's around 99.7% Buddhist,

In our central-Isaan city of 100,000 souls, it's about 90% Buddhist. The other 10% are Christians, Muslims, and Hindus, the first two comprised of mostly native Thais. Once a year, the city mayor and provincial governor calls together the religious leaders of these various groups, and has cross-religious discussions on how they can cooperative for the good of Thai society in our province.

As I posted before, Thailand can teach expats a lot about religious tolerance.

Your view of recent African history is a bit skewed.

Most of the violence took place after anti-religious leaders came to power (many by force) and kicked out the CE missionaries so they could have a free hand in stamping out local evangelical congregations, who were a philosophical threat to their inhumane regimes. Not unlike what happened in Nazi Germany, early Castro Cuba, and late 1940's Communist China.

It isn't like the Muslim influence isn't causing problems in certain African nations.

Remember, nationalist dogma can be viewed with extremities as well. Almost one and the same.

Unlike anti-religious bigots, of which there are many on TV....

"Thailand Can Teach Us About Religious Tolerance

Christian missionaries in Thailand are here to stay. There is also a small percentage of the Thai nation that belongs to the religion. Thailand is proud of its religious tolerance, and we ex-pats should follow this example; live and let live and all that. I personally feel that the religious tolerance of the Thai people is a great example for the world."

Read more...

Live and let live is not what they are here to do.

Indeed. Do as I say not as I do.

Thailand can teach expats a lot about religious tolerance.

Most of the non-Christian world could easily extend tutoring experience towards tolerant behaviour.

Rather mute and rhetorical, as the proverbial pubil is highly disconnected.

I don't think aggressive conversion is a good example of religious tolerance. Actually, the opposite.

Sure, feed the hungry, etc. but to force hungry people to pay homage to a God which isn't part of their background to get that charity; it kind of stinks.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I don't think aggressive conversion is a good example of religious tolerance. Actually, the opposite.

Sure, feed the hungry, etc. but to force hungry people to pay homage to a God which isn't part of their background to get that charity; it kind of stinks.

Business comes first, Jing.