Peanut Butter

buadhai

OK, I'll take a stab at a post in this new forum.

I'm looking for peanut butter. Not those tiny little jars of Jiff or Skippy that you can get at Lotus and Foodland. I want a big vat of the stuff like I used to be able to buy, yes, even on Saipan. Ms. Buadhai and I have PB&J sandwiches every morning for breakfast and I'm tired of the non-peanutty flavor of Skippy.

We lucked out and bought a jar of some "natural" Thai PB at Villa last time we were in BKK, but it was a very small jar.

We're going to be back in Bangkok next week.

Where in Bangers can I buy a big vat of PB to satisfy our daily need for PB&J?

No need for nasty rejoinders from those of you who think that Marmite/Vegemite is/are superior to PB.

Waiting in anxious anticipation.

What is the recipe for making your own peanut butter? :o

1 cup roasted shelled peanuts

1-1/2 teaspoons peanut oil (can use any nut oil, if use sunflower oil use a 3rd less)

1/4 teaspoon salt (omit salt if salted peanuts are used)

Place ingredients in blender. With the lid secured, blend until mixture becomes paste-like or spreadable (3 to 4 minutes). If necessary, stop the machine and use a rubber spatula to scrape mixture from the sides of the container back into contact with the blade. Continue blending until desired consistency is reached.

For crunchy peanut butter, stir in 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts after the blending is completed.

Yields 1/2 cup creamy or 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter.

We lucked out and bought a jar of some "natural" Thai PB at Villa last time we were in BKK, but it was a very small jar.

you can find homemade nuttybutty / sesame butter at

Lemon Farm

Pradit Manutam Road

Natural Food Store and Cafe. Juice Bar.

one branch is on Chaenwatthana Rd

vat size

excuse me ...what does it mean? :o (sorry for ignorant) mean big?

Edited by BambinA

OK CF, I'm game. I'll need a blender, but that's no problem.

Question: where do you buy the roasted peanuts?

Bambina: a "vat" is just a large container.

In the US they sell peanut butter in five pound tubs. Lasts about a week.

Edited by buadhai

Question: where do you buy the roasted peanuts?

i think you can find it in local market (even blended roasted peanuts) Thai use it in Noodle ..but maybe u have to choose and ask the seller to make it new/fresh ..escape alfa-toxin

Bambina: a "vat" is just a large container.

In the US they sell peanut butter in five pound tubs. Lasts about a week.

thanks alot

BTW its a TANK of PB :o:D:D

It has been about 30 years since I last made peanut butter but believe you will need to eat it fast and make it often as I recall it was very hard to keep the oil from separating.

The alfa-toxin that BambinA mentioned might also be a consideration as believe it has been a serious problem here in Thailand.

What a much needed thread! Commercial peanut butter is better than half the price in Penang, if you're going, and on the pack I bought there it says ingredients: Peanuts, Sugar, salt and Hydro. Veg. oil, so whats in there to stop it separating? Is it the Hydro oil?

Edited by spacebass

The oil will separate from the peanuts. I too make it in the blender and you must use too much oil to blend it properly. After it sits in the fridge for a day or two the oil comes to the top. I pour off about half of it and use a spoon to mix the rest back in. Olive oil works just fine too and doesn't affect the taste.

• 2 weeks later...

It is amazing what people talk themselves into.

Skippy/Smuckers and other commercial brands usually taste much better than home-made stuff because their peanuts are much better quality than the ones sold in supermarkets..

I just wonder how much hydrogenated oil is added as it is terrible for ones health, however, from what I've read, they only add a very small amount, but I wish that they would get rid of it altogether. :o

It is amazing what people talk themselves into.

Skippy/Smuckers and other commercial brands usually taste much better than home-made stuff because their peanuts are much better quality than the ones sold in supermarkets..

I just wonder how much hydrogenated oil is added as it is terrible for ones health, however, from what I've read, they only add a very small amount, but I wish that they would get rid of it altogether.  :o

I'd suggest that the 'special' taste of the commercial brands has very little to do with the peanuts, but more to do with the SUGAR in them.

Personally, I don't think you need to add any oil if you have a proper grinder. Just a touch of salt in mine, please. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, was raised on 'Skippy'. I agree with Barry that 'Smuckers' is better. However, I'm using 'Skippy' or 'Jif' here in the USA now, because both have varieties with low carb count, and reduced fat, which keeps PB within my diet guidelines.

I'm going to bring several jars of the stuff with me when I move in April. I plan to bring a few food items to supplement what will be a primarily Thai food diet for me there. I love my wife's cooking, and Thai food in general. But I'll want a little American food "fix" now and then.

• 1 month later...

Well I just found a jar of 'real' peanut butter in Friendship supermarket Pattaya, It is branded 'Mission Health Foods' and contains only:Roasted Peanuts 99%, Salt 1%. Based in Bangkok their phone no. is: 023916369 .

It costs 84 bht for 400gm about 30% less than the western type brands.