Cheese Making

yougivemebaby

Coincidentally I was talking to a German guy from Pattya at the Thai Visa Isaan Farmers exchange meeting this weekend. He recounted that he had tried to make cheese in Thailand but found it almost impossible to get a result. Everything would go fine for a few days then the whole lot would go off. Did not get around to discussing it in mega detail - guess it must be a temperature control issue.

Don't give up on just this product of a casual conversation though, but be warned!

the easiest way to make cheese in a tropical climate is to be grossly overweight. It readily forms in the folds and cracks of the dermis. Scrape out and spread on toast....

Now you know why I am not a fan of public swimming pools....

Mind you most North Americans think cheese comes in a squirty can, or is that just me ?

On a serious note...making cheese here is like ( I guess I am no expert ) making/baking meringues - it is too hot and humid and wont set. I had to have my apartment icy cold with the AC running full blast before I got any success. Though once baked remained stiff.

Edited by lonewolf99

the easiest way to make cheese in a tropical climate is to be grossly overweight. It readily forms in the folds and cracks of the dermis. Scrape out and spread on toast....

Now you know why I am not a fan of public swimming pools....

Mind you most North Americans think cheese comes in a squirty can, or is that just me ?

On a serious note...making cheese here is like ( I guess I am no expert ) making/baking meringues - it is too hot and humid and wont set. I had to have my apartment icy cold with the AC running full blast before I got any success. Though once baked remained stiff.

lol yes I agree about the squirt can cheese. Though if you've had a real Philly cheese steak sandwich you would know the authentic way and best is with cheese wiz.

I'm from Wisconsin though. We certainly love our cheese. One of my fav is Limburger. I think the Wisconsin co is the last one in the us to make it. Saw it on bizarre foods.

I think I want to start simple. Mozzarella. If that works out then try some cheddar. My mouth is already watering lolNo I don't want crotch cheese thank you

Edited by yougivemebaby

Yes there is a french man in Pattaya, he posted this in 2010 , hopefully he still produce it

La Fromagerie/Pattaya

[email protected]

0844241846 French/English

0854344479 Thai

Introduction

The Yar is a cheese made in Pattaya with partially pasteurise milk,and the recipes have been created by ex-Michelin Star chef Jean-Yves Morel.

The Yar is a lactic cheese , similar to St Marcellin ,with flavours added at different stages of “Affinage”

All the cheeses can be eaten straight from the fridge or left out a few hours to get a more flavourful and runnier cheese.

We now have some exellent hot/cold starters recipes to suit our cheeses.Ask us about it!

Bon Appétit!

• 1 year later...

I know a guy who built a cheese making factory here and it failed. He told me that the employees never understood the importance of using only fresh milk. A principle of running a business here is to stand over it and stay in control.

If anyone knows a source here of good Stilton, please let me know!

I think I've seen a Thai made cheese in Best Supermarket. It's called Chesdale - a sort of Cheshire/Wensleydale cross breed, I guess. All cheese in the shops looks very expensive to me - butter too. I don't equate Thailand with any good quality dairy products; imported is best.

there's a guy with a goat farm that makes goats cheese, cream chesse and stuff in the dark side opposite Naklua goes by the name of 'Lulu and Daisy"

seen some of his products in local supermarkets

Google "Lulu and Daisy", he has a website.

Cheers

there's a guy with a goat farm that makes goats cheese, cream chesse and stuff in the dark side opposite Naklua goes by the name of 'Lulu and Daisy"

seen some of his products in local supermarkets

Google "Lulu and Daisy", he has a website.

Cheers

He's actually a member of Thaivisa... Great cheese, but only goat cheese.

I visited years ago a cheese factory in Khao Yai. They tried to emulate European cheeses (Emmentaler, Gouda, you name it....) with mixed success. Was a huge factory, though. Fully air conditioned with aging storage on different temperature levels.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• 6 years later...