O Visa In Hull Vs O Visa In Kl

just wondering for future reference....

I could go for a O visa in Hull (married to a Thai) but it would involve the expense of a short flight there and back to where I would eventually fly on to Bangkok. The flight would cost about €150.

Optionally I could just fly to Bangkok without a visa (and get 30 days on arrival) then fly to KL for the O visa.

Is it 6 of one and half a dozen of the other or is there a notable difference in cost/hassle I'm missing.

appreciate your input

PaddyBKK

Check out Air Asia a see what the cost is from BKK/KUL return. You will possibly have hotel costs as well. You do not say where you are coming from to go to Hull. You quote the air fare as Euro, are you in Europe? Hull may only deal with UK residents/passport holders, check their website. I know people that have dealt with Hull and they are obliging, don't know about KL.

I guess you're right - I'll check Air Asia plus the cost of at least one night's stay in KL.

I'm not resident in the UK so I suppose Hull could refuse to process my application.

re mailing my passport in - nah dont like the sound of that.

Thanks anyway guys

G'nite

PaddyBKK

But there is no need for prior visa or going to KL as you can convert to non immigrant visa entry within Thailand now at the normal 2,000 baht cost. But a throw away ticket, or a vacation trip within 30 days, may be required to make airline happy.

coffee1.gif Some points on getting a non O visa in Hull...

1. Yes, as a non U.K. resident you can get a visa in Hull. I am an American, who in 2010 recieved a non O multi entry visa from Hull while living and working in Greece...so I know it is possible.

2. Yes, you can apply for a visa in Hull by mail, even outside the U.K. As always, they make no gaurentee of delivery by the mail service...that's your risk to assume.

3. If you do choose to get a visa in Hull...make an appointment by phone before you go. It will get you better service. In fact, they will tell you that if you are a "walk-in"...just show up at the consulate...they will process visa requests for those with appointments first...and walk-ins must wait.

4. Even for an American who had never been to the U.K. before, I had no problems getting to Hull by train, finding a relatively cheap hotel, and getting to and from the consulate. It's very convienent.

5. Understand (they tell you this on their website...so go to their website first) that there is a 10 pound fee if you pick up the visa in person at the consulate. Just be aware of that.

6. And now the bad news. Since Octoner 2010, when I recieved my non O multi entry visa...all non O multi entry visas have become very hard to get. That is also true of the consulate in Hull.

Before you do go to Hull, make absolutely sure you have everything they require. Call them by phone before you go and verify everything with them over the phone. That way when you do arrive you will have all the documents they want...because now they have been instructed to verify every application is complete and correct. No exceptions to this rule and no excemption from the stated requirements...that's what they have been told.

That's why it is important for you to spend the money on at least one phone call and get a list of the specific and exact documents and paperwork they require for your case.

Really, that's only common sense, but you'd be surprised how many people ignore that point. Don't make assumptions, because the word assume makes an ass out of u and me (a-s-s-u-m-e).

7. Last point (really). You will find it difficult now to get a multi entry 1 year non O visa from anywhere, including Hull. If you are married to a Thai and can provide the required documents...possibly...but not likely.

Usually now, all they will give you is a 90 day single entry Non O visa at best...you can then exiend that at your local immigration office in Thailand.

licklips.gif

7. Last point (really). You will find it difficult now to get a multi entry 1 year non O visa from anywhere, including Hull. If you are married to a Thai and can provide the required documents...possibly...but not likely.

Usually now, all they will give you is a 90 day single entry Non O visa at best...you can then exiend that at your local immigration office in Thailand.

licklips.gif

If you are married to a Thai you can DEFINITELY get a multi non imm O in Hull or KL as long as you have the correct documents and show 100k in a Thai bank in the case of KL.

But there is no need for prior visa or going to KL as you can convert to non immigrant visa entry within Thailand now at the normal 2,000 baht cost. But a throw away ticket, or a vacation trip within 30 days, may be required to make airline happy.

What are you saying here ?

Am I understanding that if I am here on 30 days entry I can get married then convert to a NON O visa while here in Thailand without having to leave ???

DK

Edited by DiamondKing

licklips.gif

If you are married to a Thai you can DEFINITELY get a multi non imm O in Hull or KL as long as you have the correct documents and show 100k in a Thai bank in the case of KL.

100K of Thai Baht ? isn't the requirement 400K ?

licklips.gif

Its only 400K for a year extension but 100K to get the O Visa based on Marriage to a thai

licklips.gif

Its only 400K for a year extension but 100K to get the O Visa based on Marriage to a thai

and if NOT married to a Thai (not married to anyone) what would be the requirements to get the multiple-entry non-immi-O ? does that differ from place to place ?

sorry, I always had a non-immi-B but as I am reaching the ermmmmm....... "age of consent" to qualify for the "O", I would like to learn more.....

Can't you do the visa at Hull by post?

You need to be in UK for that. The Consulate does not send passport to other countries. OP did not indicate his location.

Actually they do send to mainland Europe (at cost) - or at least used to. They can also send it to any UK address you put on the form (doesn't have to be the address listed as residence) and get that person to forward it on. But this always means you are without a passport for a few weeks.

BTW someone said Hull may not deal with non-UK residence, this is wrong too - they will give Visas to any European by post (at cost of special mail) and will do a walk-in for any foreign national like any consulate or embassy would.

Hull (or Cardiff) do not require prrof of income or bank balance, but you must sign a form to say you can afford to support yourself without working there (here).

BTW getting a 1yr non-Im 'O' muti from Hull as married to a Thai is NOT hard at all - just a copy of the marriage certificate, fill out the forms available for download in PDF on their website and put your credit card details down and 2-3 days later (UK address) it arrives stamped - got my last one in Novermber.

Edited by wolf5370

many thanks to all for your suggestions & all

But Lopburi's suggestion is the most interesting..

I can land on visa exempt (3 weeks stay) & should go to immediately convert to non O for THB2,000

noted that I would have to have a cheap throwaway onward ticket to ensure I can board the flight to Bangkok.

looks like the best option methinks

Thanks

Paddy BKK

i have just looked at the visa application forms from hull this is the new form ABA revised 09/01/12 and they state -

Visas applications are accepted only from persons who are residing in the UK at the time of application.

Edited by steve187

thanks steve187 - Hull is out for me then

just one question for Lopburi though...

In making a conversion from visa exempt to a non O is there a requirement for 400k to be in my bank account ?

It is a conversion - not an extension ?

I understand that for extensions of non O its - 1st extension 400k in bank for 2 months prior to application & for subsequent extensions 3 months.

thanks

PaddyBKK

You must meet requirements for extension of stay to do the conversion - the only exception is that the money in a bank account does not have to be there for any set period (you will have that time after conversion). So yes you will have to put the 400k into account before conversion. And air entry gets 4 weeks (30 days) and if not enough time a tourist visa entry or a new border crossing return could be used. Believe even less than 2 weeks may be accepted now (it used to be 21 days but after land arrival changed to only 15 days they have accepted less).

You must meet requirements for extension of stay to do the conversion - the only exception is that the money in a bank account does not have to be there for any set period (you will have that time after conversion). So yes you will have to put the 400k into account before conversion. And air entry gets 4 weeks (30 days) and if not enough time a tourist visa entry or a new border crossing return could be used. Believe even less than 2 weeks may be accepted now (it used to be 21 days but after land arrival changed to only 15 days they have accepted less).

Lopburi, are here any restrictions on where the money (400k) comes from?

Is it required that there is proof it is transferred from offshore?