Unanswerable Exam Questions Have Students Scratching Their Heads: Thailand

webfact

EDUCATION

Unanswerable exam questions have students scratching their heads

The Nation

30176315-01_big.jpg

The questions in the Ordinary National Educational Test (ONet) have caused a stir again.

BANGKOK: -- To many Mathayom 6 students, some of the questions on this year's test sounded rather stupid, with none of the multiple-choice answers given seeming to be correct. Some parents felt the questions test neither the knowledge nor the common sense of their children.

"If the question designers come up with such tests, how can we expect to see a bright future for our country?" asked one critic venting his frustration on a Web board.

A total of 397,177 students sat the O-Net tests last weekend, according to National Institute of Educational Testing Service (NIETS) director Samphan Phranphruek. The NIETS organises the O-Net tests; Mathayom 6 students take them seriously because their scores are a factor in the university-admission system.

However, as in years past, this year's examinees emerged from the exam rooms joking about the questions.

This year, O-Net questions for the Health Education subject have drawn criticism.

One of the multiple-choice questions asks, "If you have a sexual urge, what should you do?" The available alternatives are: a) Ask friends if you can play football together; B) Consult family members; c) Try to sleep; d) Go out with a friend of the opposite sex; or e) Invite a close friend to watch a movie together.

Critics pointed out that both "a" and "b" could be taken as correct answers for boys; furthermore, in the case of most girls, "a" would be a strange option, and therefore not a viable choice.

A large number of students also found the following question laughable: "Locals have found a bizarre item. It is round and soft. If it is not fed water, it shrinks and becomes a hard object. This hard object, when given water, will return to its soft, bigger condition. What is it?" The alternatives were: a) The egg of the Naga; B) The egg of a giant salamander; c) Quartz; d) Flour balls in milk tea; or e) Hydrogel.

"I guess this question was just for fun," a student said on condition of anonymity.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-21

I'm not familiar with this test, is it along the same lines as the SAT tests given in the USA? Based on the two examples given above, it rather looks like one of those goofy polls that get passed around on facebook. The sexual urge question has no factually correct answer, but it might have a morally correct one depending on who's morals we use as the baseline.

If you have a sexual urge, what should you do?

a) Ask friends if you can play football together

Then off to the showers afterwards afterwards? I think I saw that movie.

B) Consult family members

I think not, uncle Jim has always had a thing for me.

c) Try to sleep

Just don't dream about anything too risque!

d) Go out with a friend of the opposite sex

Who also has a sexual urge s/he doesn't know what to do with?

e) Invite a close friend to watch a movie together

Oh sorry, I thought that was the popcorn bucket!

I'm quite tired of the government trying to teach my kids how to deal with sexual issues really.

The answer to the second question should be rather obvious: Hydrogel, but they probably never heard of that before ....

And WHAT would be the point? Especially in the ludicrous context of the question? Sponge should have been one of the options to really confuse...

I agree with you on the sexual questions too, completely inappropriate and not education which only leads to more confusion..

I have just seen a national English test (I think last years) whit signs in it, one sign read "mind your head". If I give you two alternatives you might guess what the answer sheet seed:

1. Be careful!

2. Don’t use a hat or a cap.

I’m not a NES but I have studied in US and have used English my whole life so far, so some times I make mistakes in spelling and/or what word to use but that is nothing compared whit so many Thai English teachers. I have seen them teach their students that “where go?” is informal use of English? They actually want to use it for: “Where are you going”, “Where have you been?” and “Where will you go” some even thinks it’s OK to use instead of “Where are we going?” and “When are we going there?”.

I did even see that as a correct option in another test!

Edited by n1sse

One of the multiple-choice questions asks, "If you have a sexual urge, what should you do?" The available alternatives are: a) Ask friends if you can play football together; cool.png Consult family members; c) Try to sleep; d) Go out with a friend of the opposite sex; or e) Invite a close friend to watch a movie together.

What, a nice hot bath wasn't and option? rolleyes.gif

I have just seen a national English test (I think last years) whit signs in it, one sign read "mind your head". If I give you two alternatives you might guess what the answer sheet seed:

1. Be careful!

I’m not a NES but I have studied in US and have used English my whole life so far, so some times I make mistakes in spelling and/or what word to use but that is nothing compared whit so many Thai English teachers. I have seen them teach their students that “where go?” is informal use of English? They actually want to use it for: “Where are you going”, “Where have you been?” and “Where will you go” some even thinks it’s OK to use instead of “Where are we going?” and “When are we going there?”.

same in my school. the students are asked to pick 'the most right answer' !

so the answer is not necessarily the right one , just the one thats closest. huh.png

would be great to see them use this method in the maths test.

Q1. 2 plus 2 is....... (i) 6 (ii) 7 (iii) 9 (IV) 5 Pick the most correct answer.

in this case it has to be 5 because its the closest to the correct answer. clap2.gif

Edited by thequietman
  • Like 1

A couple of weeks ago my wife, a Thai English teacher, showed me the O-Net tests prepared by the TCT. The highlights included bad grammar, typos, answers that didn't correspond to the questions and the four multiple choice answers that all could have answered the question but three are wrong according to the test paper's author.

What chance do these students have when the supposed experts can't set properly written tests?

• Like 1

I'm quite tired of the government trying to teach my kids how to deal with sexual issues really.

The answer to the second question should be rather obvious: Hydrogel, but they probably never heard of that before ....

And WHAT would be the point? Especially in the ludicrous context of the question? Sponge should have been one of the options to really confuse...

I agree with you on the sexual questions too, completely inappropriate and not education which only leads to more confusion..

I wanted to add that the obvious solution and advice would be self gratification but we KNOW that was never going to be offered as an option so again no point in the question..

I have often been asked by school admin and Thai (English) teachers alike to look over the Govt. exams and to choose the correct answers to the multiple choice questions. My best reply for all too many of the choices was to inform that none were correct and the student should be automatically given any answer as correct to the question #'s indicated. It's always the students that suffer the most (followed by society in general) from the incompetence of the system.

And by some law of logic, the answers students give to these questions will dictate their university options, and ultimately, their future job opportunities.

No wonder Thailand's education system is struggling.

I always thought that education was meant to produce "productive members of society". My bad.

Having taught in LOS for over five years, nothing surprises me any more. To be sure, if I am having any medical or dental work done, I carefully scrutinize the credentials of the person doing the work and they had better have received training outside Thailand.

A couple of weeks ago my wife, a Thai English teacher, showed me the O-Net tests prepared by the TCT. The highlights included bad grammar, typos, answers that didn't correspond to the questions and the four multiple choice answers that all could have answered the question but three are wrong according to the test paper's author.

What chance do these students have when the supposed experts can't set properly written tests?

None at all. I seriously think that there is no future for Thailand. It will slide further and further behind all its neighbours. But Thai people will still be assured they are superior to others. They will keep claiming there is nothing a non Thai can teach them because they already know everything. Such a waste.

• Like 1

1. Be careful!

same in my school. the students are asked to pick 'the most right answer' !

so the answer is not necessarily the right one , just the one thats closest. huh.png

would be great to see them use this method in the maths test.

Q1. 2 plus 2 is....... (i) 6 (ii) 7 (iii) 9 (IV) 5 Pick the most correct answer.

in this case it has to be 5 because its the closest to the correct answer. clap2.gif

It couls also be 6, if you include the latest inflation numbers and add new banking fees.

Oh come on now people do you really think these tests mean anything in the end ? Even if the correct answer was on the test most of them would miss it anyway cause they didnt learn anything in school, they were having too much fun playing and the teachers were to busy to teach (let alone they are not educated themselves). You cant teach and watch facebook and youtube videos all day at the same time. Those with money will get into the school\faculty they want and the rest will be filling my car with fuel or bagging my 7-11 purchases after getting their worthless degree. Like everything else here education is just an illusion to make people feel good and happy (and generate alot of money). Anyway the smart students already have all the correct answers to the tests (their easy to get) and memorize them before taking the test, if little somchai was too lazy to take the time to do this, thats his or her fault own fault.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...