Nakhon Sawan News

nong38

6 hours ago, dave_boo said:

Gentlemen; you are both mostly correct.

Kwasaki; the road is the 122 not the 33. And you're correct that in the stretch between the 117 and AH1 it's rather nice.

fredob43; reading Kwasaki's post it sure sounds as if he's describing the northbound part of Nakhon Sawan bypass on the north side of the city. And that is heads and shoulders better than the southbound section.

Note: it's 2 1/2 km from my house so I kind of know what I'm talking about as I use it.

Yeah thanks 122 it's not on my map ? 

I guess things can change quickly but I have to say there's an improvement in many places but it don't take much for a hold-up. 

We're going market 5th or 6th from Suk on - 12 - 126 - 117 - 122 - 1 - then turn off for Manorom what I thought was 340 but still shows as  'road 1' and goes on to 340 at ChaiNat our destination.

Use to go Suk - K.P.Phet - and Nack-Swan by-pass to 'Road.1' but just seems to take longer by some 30 mins.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 1:56 PM, fredob43 said:

Thank Buddha I wont have to travel Via N/S for several months. Next time pencilled in is early November. when I have to go to that dreaded place Pattaya to see friends. Must say not looking forward to it Crap journey there, and Crap time once there. 

H/M K.P.Phet.

Imagine how much your "friends" must be looking forward to it.

?

Never mind Soi Bukhao, Soi Post Office and Soi Yamato are are still there. More than can be said for the numerous eating and drinking places in NS that have closed their doors.

2 minutes ago, rott said:

Imagine how much your "friends" must be looking forward to it.

?

Never mind Soi Bukhao, Soi Post Office and Soi Yamato are are still there. More than can be said for the numerous eating and drinking places in NS that have closed their doors.

Little update I shall not be going to Patts in early November. It now seems that my friends will be if at all coming late Nov:

Sorry to hear that food places are closing down in N/S. I do believe that you still have two Big Mick places to indulge your time in though.

I did find that the food court in the walk wasn't that bad at least the food was hot, not forgetting cheap. Cant say if it's still the same as I haven't ventured into the walk for at least 2 years.

H/M K.P.Phet.

• Like 1

Fred you can always be relied on for a prompt response, an excellent quality.

I hate to disappoint you but to me fast food places are for emergencies only.

And to make it worse, the food court in The Walk is one of the closures. Not that I went there often myself. Mystery to me how most of these shopping malls stay open, let alone make a profit.

3 minutes ago, rott said:

Fred you can always be relied on for a prompt response, an excellent quality.

I hate to disappoint you but to me fast food places are for emergencies only.

And to make it worse, the food court in The Walk is one of the closures. Not that I went there often myself. Mystery to me how most of these shopping malls stay open, let alone make a profit.

I only went into the food court as the wife liked it. She's a big fan of cheap. Not forgetting Chickens feet soup. Always seemed to be available there.

Right I have found just the thing to cure your hunger pains. After Saturday kitchen live this morning. At 11.30am UK time 5.30pm our time on BBC1 Nigel Slater is going to show us how to cook Pad Thai. What sort of a cock up he'll make of it Buddha only knows. Might be worth a look though.

H/M. K.P.PHET

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not to change the topic but i am not sure of where to ask; Does anyone know where I might find some agricultural Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) in the Nakhon Sawan area or beyond for that matter? I am not talking about the high end bath salts available on Lazada or the local pharmacy but the much more economical agricultural quality magnesium sulfate. I was recently referred to a fertilizer supply downtown Nakhon Sawan that reportedly carried the salt but as it turns out, they carry Potassium Sulfate and never have carried Magnesium Sulfate.

• 2 weeks later...

Road Report:

Did my yearly 500 kilometer incredible journey yesterday to get my yearly extension.  Highway 111 from Takfa to where it meets AH1 in normal condition, pothole city in some places,  AH1 from Inburi to Bangkok Ring road in good condition with no undergoing repairs or diversions.  AH1 northbound from Bang Pa In to the Nakhon Sawan bridge in good condition with no undergoing repairs  or diversions.  The back way past the train station and Tatako to Takfa in fair condition but getting better every year.

One thing I leaned was never go to either the Embassy or immigration the day after a long weekend, both were total zoos with nowhere to sit.  This was the first time that I have ever had to wait at NS immigration.  I got thee just after lunch and was number 7 in line for extensions but managed to jump to number 3 since 4 of them were left by a Visa service to be picked up later.

All's good for another year with an Income Affidavit from the US Embassy with no back up required, although they have change the form to addind the statement: The U.S.Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement.Under penalty of perjury, I assume full and complete responsibility for the veracity of the claims herein".  The new form is downloadable from the ACS website.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:05 AM, wayned said:

Road Report:

Did my yearly 500 kilometer incredible journey yesterday to get my yearly extension.  Highway 111 from Takfa to where it meets AH1 in normal condition, pothole city in some places,  AH1 from Inburi to Bangkok Ring road in good condition with no undergoing repairs or diversions.  AH1 northbound from Bang Pa In to the Nakhon Sawan bridge in good condition with no undergoing repairs  or diversions.  The back way past the train station and Tatako to Takfa in fair condition but getting better every year.

One thing I leaned was never go to either the Embassy or immigration the day after a long weekend, both were total zoos with nowhere to sit.  This was the first time that I have ever had to wait at NS immigration.  I got thee just after lunch and was number 7 in line for extensions but managed to jump to number 3 since 4 of them were left by a Visa service to be picked up later.

All's good for another year with an Income Affidavit from the US Embassy with no back up required, although they have change the form to addind the statement: The U.S.Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement.Under penalty of perjury, I assume full and complete responsibility for the veracity of the claims herein".  The new form is downloadable from the ACS website.

Thanks for the info Wayne. Did you happen to see how the N/S bypass was going? I do have the miss fortune of having to go to Pattaya the beginning of Dec: Some chums from the UK will be having their usual pre Christmas trip. And I shall be going down to see them. Don't panic will only be going for 3 nights. Anything you want I can bring back just let me know. 

No, I had to go to immigration and get off AH1 onto the service road after crossing the bridge before the traffic light.  I then go the back way past the prison, waving to my wife's relatives on the way by,.  That road ends at Soi 49 at the entrance to the Immigration parking lot, which now has a wall and gate around it.  There was a lot of traffic exiting onto the bypass, but I had ni reason to go that way.

If you happen to find a cute live in housekeeper that likes dogs and cats that'll do!

• Like 1

Have just been to the new K.P.Phet immigration office. Some of the same staff. Our lady seems to be under pressure as usual.

Whatever they have a new desk for doing your 90 day report (That I did) took around 10 min: as I hadn't filled out the form before hand. Forms to be found on the righthand side as you walk in.

It is much bigger with plenty of seats inside as well as outside seating, the latter resembling N/Sawan. Lots of parking. Didn't find the Toilet then again I didn't look, but they must have one.

Overall Great improvement. 

H/M K. P.PHET.

• Thanks 1

Fred,

The Nakkers bypass is a work in progress, slow, slow progress.   Should be finished anytime soon in the next 2 years.  A lot of it is down to single lanes in either direction and you can get stuck behind an overloaded truck struggling to get up the gentle incline onto the couple of bridges.  It's a 50/50 proposition which is quicker-the bypass or going straight through Nakkers.

BTW they must have rearranged the furniture in the new KPP immigration facility.  When we went there they had bigger premises but it seemed to be taken up by offices and I thought the waiting area was smaller than the old one.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chilon said:

Fred,

The Nakkers bypass is a work in progress, slow, slow progress.   Should be finished anytime soon in the next 2 years.  A lot of it is down to single lanes in either direction and you can get stuck behind an overloaded truck struggling to get up the gentle incline onto the couple of bridges.  It's a 50/50 proposition which is quicker-the bypass or going straight through Nakkers.

BTW they must have rearranged the furniture in the new KPP immigration facility.  When we went there they had bigger premises but it seemed to be taken up by offices and I thought the waiting area was smaller than the old one.  

It has been a work in progress for about 10 years or so now and IMHO is progressing slower than a centipede with 97 broken legs.

I remember when it was first built and that was only 1 lane in each direction and the road surface was crap even then. The only decent bit is the access to it when heading southbound.

4 hours ago, Chilon said:

Fred,

Thanks for that Bill.

I shall have to venture that way the early part of December. Off to jolly old Pattaya. Not by choice, have to see some friends. Thank Buddha only 3 days.

I do know what you mean about the 50/50 but you have to take into account the 6 thousand ??? sets of traffic lights in Nakkers. If you catch it wrong you would be buggered.

Edited by fredob43

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, fredob43 said:

It is much bigger with plenty of seats inside as well as outside seating, the latter resembling N/Sawan. Lots of parking. Didn't find the Toilet then again I didn't look, but they must have one.

Fred, as you exit the office turn left and the toilet is just up the road that runs in front of Immigration maybe 50 yards. It has a sign. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, claynlr said:

Fred, as you exit the office turn left and the toilet is just up the road that runs in front of Immigration maybe 50 yards. It has a sign. 

I'm sure that all will welcome your post. I didn't need the loo but some might. Whatever handy to know.

Once I had finished doing my 90 day thing I got out asap.

• 1 month later...

I know it's a bit early. But Happy Birthday Wayne for the 14th.

Update on the N/S roads.

I have just had the misfortune of having to travel through N/Smog. They are still sorting the 1/32 out just before you get into N/S coming from the north having a single lane to help you on your speedy way.

The so called bypass is still being worked on with about 55% finished. Still better than having to go through the town though with it's hoards of traffic and 10 thousand traffic lights (Slight under estimation on the last bit) 

In my estimation around 2 years all should be fine. At least we have something to look forward to. Albeit at least 1/2 an hour off your journey time.

Going South & North on the 1/32 towards BKK they are having speed checks and road blocks some 4 in each direction. Mostly checking for tax with the added bonus of instant speeding fines. 

It took me nearly 6 hours to get to Pattaya (EEEEEEEEEK) when I used to be able to do the trip in around 4 hours. So please add time if your going that way.

H/M K.P.Phet.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in leafy Nakhon Sawan the police have been super active in enjoining all restaurant and caff owners not to serve alcohol between 2 pm and 5 pm.

Has this been going on in other places in the area?

Bit of a bummer for anyone just wanting a glass of chardonnay with a late lunch.

One wonders when this will spread to Bangkok and Pattaya.

Not a problem where I live unless you plan on eating at 7-11.  A glass of chardonnay would be though.  Your choices are basically limited to Chang, Leo, Hong Thong (bottle) or regency (bottle).  The only wine available here is the crap that they sell in 7-11.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, rott said:

Meanwhile in leafy Nakhon Sawan the police have been super active in enjoining all restaurant and caff owners not to serve alcohol between 2 pm and 5 pm.

Has this been going on in other places in the area?

Bit of a bummer for anyone just wanting a glass of chardonnay with a late lunch.

One wonders when this will spread to Bangkok and Pattaya.

As luck would have it the great K.P.Phet is still serving drinks 24/7. Seems to be a bit of a thing going on in some places though, that's the no drinks syndrome. One of the lads has just had a few days in Chang Mai. No drinks at any bars during the day with them having to shut up shop sharp at midnight. So if your heading that way be prepared for a dry time.

On the other hand Pattaya is much the same as it was. Drinks all day and most of the night it seems. You can also smoke everywhere, except on the beach but who in their right mind would go on the beach in Pattaya anyway. Rule unto themselves. Or it could be tips for the BIB who knows.

H/M K.P.Phet.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, rott said:

Is this the same billd who has a nomination for POTY?

It could well be the same billd who had no idea that he had been nominated and still has little idea who would be dumb enough to vote for him.

If it were me I wouldn't vote for him at all.

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It could well be the same billd who had no idea that he had been nominated and still has little idea who would be dumb enough to vote for him.

If it were me I wouldn't vote for him at all.

Call me dumb then neighbor....billd all the way!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, claynlr said:

Call me dumb then neighbor....billd all the way!!!

I never bother to read the POTY post until they announce a winner and the first I knew of it was this morning when I logged on.

Meanwhile, thank you very much for voting for me.

???? ???? ????

• 2 weeks later...

Well come on.then, anyone else here been out for a drink? After some of the characters I have met in NS I used to say that all the nutters are not in Pattaya, perhaps I called ot a bit wrong.

Does seem very quiet and incident free lately. I remember the heated debates about whether or not to change the forum name and who to include. Seems very long ago now.

Oh shoite I am even into the outage time. Sad old git

• 1 month later...

Where were you when the lights went out?

As they did in Nakhon Sawan last night for about half an hour 19.10 to 19.40. The whole town end to end. Not sure about the other side of the river come to think of it.

Electrical failures are nothing new or unusual, but a whole town is a bit rare.

You are obviously up and about early Wayne.

I try to be the same, then go for a few hours kip in the pm to avoid the late 30's temps. (which snuck up rather quick) Followed by a refreshing walk around the lake before a 30 baht pad pak ruam and a 65 baht beer or 2. 

• Like 1

Yep, always have.  Now that I live alone I sleep when I'm tired and up when I wake up.  The last time that I tried to take a nap in the afternoon I laid down at 1300 and woke up at 2330.  Actually it's more pleasant doing "household chores" at night when it's cooler as I don't use any air conditioning.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2018 at 2:33 PM, fredob43 said:

As luck would have it the great K.P.Phet is still serving drinks 24/7. Seems to be a bit of a thing going on in some places though, that's the no drinks syndrome. One of the lads has just had a few days in Chang Mai. No drinks at any bars during the day with them having to shut up shop sharp at midnight. So if your heading that way be prepared for a dry time.

On the other hand Pattaya is much the same as it was. Drinks all day and most of the night it seems. You can also smoke everywhere, except on the beach but who in their right mind would go on the beach in Pattaya anyway. Rule unto themselves. Or it could be tips for the BIB who knows.

H/M K.P.Phet.

Spoke to someone who works in Chiang Mai and with few exceptions it has been like that for a while. What puzzles him is that when they re-open at 5 there is no rush to get in, they do not get busy till 9 and then close again at 12. Would not be a problem to me, I like to start at 5 and be home by 9. 

• Like 1