Labor Cost Estimation For Tile Floor Removal

I am thinking about pulling out all of my tile floor for a new flooring option. Just in the planning/shopping stage.

I was wondering if someone could supply a price range estimate for the labor to do this:

Remove smaller sized ceramic tiles from about 70 square meters including wall side treatment

Deal with furniture moving around logistics

Clean up cement, smooth, sand

(Preparation for a DIFFERENT kind of flooring than new tile)

Finish the floor with coats of sealer

In other words PREP work to be ready for a new floor. Not the price for the new flooring material or labor to put it in.

I'm in the Pattaya area but I think places like Bangkok and Phuket would be similar for labor costs.

Edited by Jingthing

What contractors will be doing the job(s)?

Lets assume you want new floor covering, granite or wood?

Why not price up the new materials source, eg Boonthaworn.

You choose new flooring, to be laid at a cost of say 400/500/600 per s/m.

You also agree with shop you are purchasing from to remove old tiles, prepare surface and lay new flooring, much easier for all concerned.

I was quoted 800 baht per s/m, this was to remove old tiles, prepare surface and fit new tiles.

Price of new tiles would be extra.

This is in Bkk, be aware some shops will charge you for example 800 baht per s/m to remove, then subcontract the job for 400 baht per s/m and pocket the difference.

Your other problem is coordinating labour and securing supplies.

You arrange your own people to remove tiles, then have to wait 2 weeks for new people to come and lay new tiles.

Next problem, new contractors may not be happy with the preparation work carried out by last workers, now you have the problem of who rectifies previous work.

For the kind of work you want doing and the area required you can be looking at 80k baht, based on new flooring costs of 400 baht per s/m, plus removal of old tiles and labour to lay new tiles of 800 baht per s/m, or 1200 x 70 = 84k.

If you want a wooden floor your costs will be more, lets assume a wooden floor, not parquet, but proper wooden floor.

You will need battens say 1 inch by 2 inch, one metre length that will be about 160 baht per linear metre.

You will also need skirting boards say 1inch by 4 inch about 170 baht per linear metre.

The above is for mai daeng battens and skirting boards.

Mai daeng wood will cost you about 2000 baht per s/m.

Finish the floor with sealer will be included in the price to lay the floor, but the costs for sealer is your responsibility depending on sealant used.

Moving furniture etc around will be free, as will clearing up afterwards.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

Thanks for the excellent information there! To be honest, what I really want to use is high quality luxury vinyl that is now very popular in the U.S. The last time I checked (a few years ago) I couldn't find it in Thailand but surely if it is not here yet, it should come here before too long, yes? For that kind of flooring yes the surface needs to be prepared well. Also, assuming it is here now or will come here, even though it is not difficult to install compared to other floor types, probably the skills for it aren't easy to find here yet.

If luxury vinyl can't be found here when I am ready for this, also considering slate stone or large marble tiles. Never ceramic again, thank you. I have ruled out pergo and hardwood as well.

JT, why not go for granite, a decent granite can be had for 600 baht per s/m, a really nice one for 1000 baht per s/m.

Marble, make sure they dont try and sell you the imported Italian marble, they tax the shit out of it and you can easily pay upwards of 2000 baht per s/m, thats just an entry price, 4000/5000 is not unheard of.

Not being nosey, but where are the tiles for, this may dictate the finish required.

Your biggest enemy is water, and turning these tiles into a major death trap.

• Like 1

JT, why not go for granite, a decent granite can be had for 600 baht per s/m, a really nice one for 1000 baht per s/m.

Marble, make sure they dont try and sell you the imported Italian marble, they tax the shit out of it and you can easily pay upwards of 2000 baht per s/m, thats just an entry price, 4000/5000 is not unheard of.

Not being nosey, but where are the tiles for, this may dictate the finish required.

Your biggest enemy is water, and turning these tiles into a major death trap.

I meant to also say I am considering granite and travertine. Interesting about the marble. Is their good marble here at a fair price and if so imported from where? The new tiles are for a condo's entirety including the kitchen, but not the toilet and bathroom.

I understand that moisture getting under flooring causes damage, but what do you mean by death trap exactly? (I have concrete floors as a base.)

Edited by Jingthing

JT,

head up to Boonthaworn in Pattaya, only drove passed it never went in.

If its anything like the ones in Bkk it should have a fair range of marble and granite.

The marble can come from, Spain, Italy or India and for the price you pay to me is not worth it, its basically tax the shit out of anything that aint Thai.

The granite as I said starts about 600 baht per s/m for nice stuff, even nicer for 1000 per s/m, after that its basically what do you like the look of and how much are you willing to pay.

Ref the tiles when I mentionted death trap, I was thinking about bathrooms and having non slip tiles instead of marble, or kitchens where if you are cooking and working with water you are turning it into a potential accident area.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

JT,

head up to Boonthaworn in Pattaya, only drove passed it never went in.

If its anything like the ones in Bkk it should have a fair range of marble and granite.

They do have a good range. I was in there last month and there is a very good selection. It was good to get ideas and prices. On my next trip I'll probably buy the lot from there unless I see somewhere else with special offers on.

• Like 1

JT,

you will need to do your own legwork on this one.

You are looking at 70s/m floor space to be tiled, lets assume you buy at Boonthaworn, and have them remove and lay your new flooring.

Lets assume they charge you 800 baht per s/m to remove and replace, plus say 700 baht per s/m for tiles, we are now at 1500 x 70 = 105k baht, as a minimum.

Marble tiles I have found to be more expensive per s/m.

If you visit these stores the slabs will be on display, the price you see marked is the price per tile not the price per s/m.

So for example if you are looking at tiles say 60 x 60 cm this is 0.36, 70/0.36 = 194 tiles required, allowing for wasteage, say at least 205 to 210 depending on the layout of you place.

Dont forget to add on the price of skirting, dont assume these tiles will fit flush with your walls.

Dont know the layout of your place, lets say 10 x 7, so that would be 10+10+7+7, minus doors, or open space, etc.

Dont know if the following link is any good, at the end of the day, its your place, your money and your choice.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080420065641AAvgyAV

Thai people pay typically 150B/sq meter for tiling and less for removing old tiles (this is also what I paid). These are labor costs (not including the tiles or tile glue). So, the prices mentioned on this forum are rather high. The best thing to do is going to look at a newly build house, check the quality of the tiling, and ask the people who did the job. There can be a huge difference in the quality of the work depending on the team that did the work.

Edited by kriswillems

Jingthing, I own three condos, and had all my work done by Pirom Decoration Co., Ltd. They have since moved, I believe they are on sukumvit now. They can do everything or just your tiles, they have some workers who do excellent tile work. I checked many before picking them, however they are not the cheapest. They will give you an estimate so you can compare wuth others if you choose. If you call them and go to their shoeroom, i think you will be impressed with the work they do. Phone #s 089-832-1577 089-8313758 038-410404. David H

• Like 1