Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy

webfact

As a German i feel ashamed. Sorry.

You are a German of this generation. You should have no reason to be ashamed. The evil was commited by past generations.

However your people are well aware of the evils of Naziism and Hitler's rule and have strict rules regarding Nazi symbolism and its abuse.

That would also apply to Japanese people. They understand history. Thais have yet to learn.

I am interested that you believe that the Japanese understand history. If you mean by wiping history out of the classroom they understand it, then yes, you are correct. No Japanese children are taught anything of WW2 that bears any resemblance to actual events, nor are they told of the rape of Nanking and other atrocities that were inflicted on the Chinese by the Japanese.

I find the whole Thai thing with the shirts a bit funny and ironic. I am amazed (but shouldn't be) at the amount of TV members that have jumped on the outrage bus, that in itself is pathetic. The only comments worthy of merit or relevance are the ones by Geriatrickid concerning copyright issues.

Maybe the youth see Hitler as someone they can relate to as in the not too distant future Thailand may have its own Hitler in the form of Thaksin. Very similar backgrounds really, risen to power from nothing, both holding lowly positions as Corporal, one in the army one in the police, and very skilled manipulators of public opinion and crowd behaviour.

For those it applies to, please stop going on about use of the swastika on helmets and stuff in Thailand. LONG before Hitler got hold of the symbol it had been in use already for a couple of thousand years in the esoteric religions of Asia. It is an important Hindu symbol and means eternity and Buddhism in China.

1st paragraph is good, the rest was quite amusing..still trying to figure out if your are serious. Outrage at use of swatztikas is pathetic?

Yeah yeah..we know the swatzika was used prior to Nazi Germany, in a great many societies, not just Hindu. That point has been made ad nauseum in every one of thses threads. Same illogical argument made again and again. A nazi swatztika (black on white and red, alighned left) on a German WW2 helmet has nothing to do with the Hindu or any other symbol or usage. You wear this you are either incredibly ignorant, incredably calous, or a neo-nazi. Possibly all of the above.

To illistrate, just look at this image below. Does it conjure images of peace and compassion? A graphical representation of eternity? A tantric symbol? A symbol of good luck? Or something else? There is your answer.

Capture3.jpg

Slightly off topic, but maybe not. Has anyone (from a non-Buddhist culture) noticed how Thais don't seem to spend a lot of time mourning the dead, whether human or animal?

The dead person is burnt quickly and life seems to go on.....

Am I off base with this observation?

If I am right, it would seem to argue that Buddhism itself does not foster a sense of history (except of course about the history of Buddhism itself, which must be forever taught and respected if it is to continue as the main upholder of the status quo).

As a German i feel ashamed. Sorry.

You have no reason to be ashamed. These are different times and we are different people. I am from England and some of the things done long ago by my country will never be forgot but we can learn from these to make sure they never happen again.

• Like 1

The Thai's may be forgiven for their ignorance of what happened in WW11 and not understanding what Hitler stood for as has been pointed out by many posters.

The below links are to sites (this is the first 3 only as I don't have time for any more) showing what is available to the more informed Westerners, in their own countries. Hypocritical & Ironic, no?

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/hitler+t-shirts

http://aryanwear.com/index.php/default/clothing/t-shirts/funny-shirts/happy-hitler-t-shirt-hitler-smiley-face-shirt.html

http://www.andigear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=205

Look at is as a reality check for overly sensitised westerners whose lives have become dominated by excessive social engineering and political correctness that stifles public opinion.

Can anyone really justify why the ethnic cleansing of 70 years ago should be any more important than the other more recent and equally horrifying atrocities that go unforgotten by the world?

If society really cared, it would mobilise itself differently, would it not?

It bothers me less to see a farcical Ronald McHitler than my countries flag being used as fashionable underpants!!

I would be as disgusted if these were Pol Pot caricatures.

He just wasn't as visually iconic as Hitler, Stalin, Che or Mao.

Lest we forget and so let history repeat,

we most not allow atrocities to revert to vague complacencies.

And this goes for current atrocities and the past:

Nanking, Armenia, Great Leap Forward, Angola, Srebrenca, Hutu/Tutsi, Killing Fields, and the Holocaust.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Just another example of how poorly educated this Nation actually is..

I'm sure everyone in your country is very well educated in terms of Thai history or the history of S.E. Asia or, for that matter, with all that happened during World War II.

They will know Hitler, what he did, and what his symbols are, and of Polpot too.

Just another example of how poorly educated this Nation actually is..

I'm sure everyone in your country is very well educated in terms of Thai history or the history of S.E. Asia or, for that matter, with all that happened during World War II.

They will know Hitler, what he did, and what his symbols are, and of Polpot too.

But seemingly not 'understand'.

Slightly off topic, but maybe not. Has anyone (from a non-Buddhist culture) noticed how Thais don't seem to spend a lot of time mourning the dead, whether human or animal?

The dead person is burnt quickly and life seems to go on.....

Am I off base with this observation?

If I am right, it would seem to argue that Buddhism itself does not foster a sense of history (except of course about the history of Buddhism itself, which must be forever taught and respected if it is to continue as the main upholder of the status quo).

They seem to spend an extraordinary long time over the funeral rites, sometimes several days, leaving the poorly preserved decaying dead body to be gawped at.... something I personally find ghoulish.

The Thai's may be forgiven for their ignorance of what happened in WW11 and not understanding what Hitler stood for as has been pointed out by many posters.

The below links are to sites (this is the first 3 only as I don't have time for any more) showing what is available to the more informed Westerners, in their own countries. Hypocritical & Ironic, no?

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/hitler+t-shirts

http://aryanwear.com/index.php/default/clothing/t-shirts/funny-shirts/happy-hitler-t-shirt-hitler-smiley-face-shirt.html

http://www.andigear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=205

All societies have their ignorant and hatefull, it is a question of how they treat these types that defines the society. Freedom of speech alowed, but that includes being disgusted with the words and actions of hateful others.

• Like 1

I don't wish to nitpick but this is false. None of these are copyright violations. It is a play on these characters but enough is different to not be considered copyright violation. But yes, there is little respect of copyright laws here.

Aside from the ignorance of glamorizing der Fuhrer, this situation basically is a very bold statement of the complete disregard and contempt that Thailand has for intellectual property, trade dress,and trademarks. Teletubbies, Ronald McDonald etc. are all trademarks and important assets of others. Those groups have invested millions if not billions of baht into building their respective brands. Teletubbies which is intended for young kids deserves better than to have its image raped and violated by a bunch of greedy, ignorant thieves. And yes that's what these businesses are. They aren't just robbing their victims, they are peeing on them as well. One can laugh this off all one wants, but it is this attitude that explains in part why no foreign entities have insignificant R&D investments in Thailand.

Vietnam is nearly 100% literate and you see everybody reading. What is the literacy rate in Thailand? Never see anybody reading, or even carrying any reading material.

According to UNESCO institute for statistics Thailand are 82nd in the world with 94.1% and Vietnam are 88th with 92.8%.

Interesting to see who is at the top. http://en.wikipedia....y_literacy_rate

Edited by uptheos

Maybe, before we get all uptight about message T-Shirts ... let's have a little peek in our backyard.

post-104736-0-35750100-1330325135.jpgpost-104736-0-86537800-1330325158.jpgpost-104736-0-26192300-1330325173.jpg

But my favourite for bad taste goes to ... post-104736-0-33092100-1330325188_thumb.

I don't want to turn this into a T-Shirt competition war, but I do want us to take a look at ourselves in the mirror before condemning the Thai for their take on a satirical pun.

Edit ... bless Google to find something appropiate to advertise at the bottom of my page ... post-104736-0-15936900-1330325789_thumb.

Edit#2 ... really, we are getting a little carried away here.

No-one from Thailand has come out in this article and said the many atrocities that have occurred this past century didn't happen ... they simply made a parody T-Shirt (or two) ... all the angst here has been created by us!

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Thai people dont fancy communists or jews for that matter. Some time ago I was sitting next to Gen. Sayut during lunch, he was supreme commander of the thai armed forces when they defeated the last communist enclave in Khao Yai in the late 1960's, what he told me about what they found in Khao Yai its no suprise the Thais have no problem with killing communists.

Please do educate me as how "jews" fit into your comment. I was unaware that Thais don't fancy "jews". Please explain what makes you think this.

Actually, he's correct, at least in my case. My wife is Thai and has done some tours for foreigners..there happened to be a so-called "jew" in the group..she did not care much for her at all...she complained non-stop and felt she was above everyone else present..

I recall a fuss a few years ago when the Thai authorities in OZ had a sence of humour failure over the Thai flag appearing on some training shoes ("lowest part of the body" an' all that). I further note that western flags can be seen on locals in the form of Bandanas/T-shirts/Shorts/Bras/Handbags every time we venture out (inc the British flag upside down) yet any westerner returning the compliment risks probs with the BIB.

• Like 1

This is just barely art. It is someone's very poor attempt at copying Banksy. You just take stuff from history and mix it with stuff from pop culture and then "wwowowowoowowowoww totally edgy portrayal of corporatism, dude". There are undoubtably plenty of great Thai artists but the Thai gov does not do a whole lot to promote them or to promote art in generally in Thailand.

Anyways, Thais and farang for that matter appear obsessed with walking around shopping malls.

As already pointed out, Stalin put Hitler distinctly in the shade with his prowess for putting millions to death, and you don't have to look very far to find other runners-up, so what's the big taboo with Hitler? I for one came here to escape the strychnined, egg-shell tip-toeing that passes for daily existence in the "mustn't offend anyone" West. grow a set & stop projecting your insecurities into what everyone knows to be one of the most polite cultures on the block.

Thai culture and Thais "polite"! Sorry to disillusion you as you may not have been here long. So 'Dream on'....until you realise that, on the whole, to be polite here is mostly either utilitarian or to 'lick arse' and determined solely by status in Thai society. But I don't bitch and blame the Thai people as individuals, as many farang do, as it is ingrained in Thai culture, which hopefully can and will eventually evolve and change for the better.

Back on topic....It should be to easy to teach Thai kids about Hitler by equating him with Pol Pot, and the Nazis with the Khmer Rouge....or are KR bandanas also on sale and another fashion icon for another Thai sub-culture?

You might want to pick another "monster" as a bad example. Pol Pot and the KR were supported by "you know who" for years, as the Vietnamese had made the ultimate mistake of winning their war, and were thus far worse than a guy who merely tried to exterminate his own people!

Yes, I understand exactly what u r saying, and when reducing history to the bare ideological and political nitty gritty facts of 'Us and Them', "You know who" so often turns out to be 'Me and you'! But even most Farang have not learned this in school and would be surprised/shocked by it. But for starters, when teaching kids you need to keep it simple, so I think that Hitler = Pol Pot, is fair enough and a good starting point.

While on the subject of 'keeping it simple' 1st Grade/Primary education: When will "You know who" learn to stop HYPOCRITICALLY preaching "Freedom and Democracy" to the World when it only serves as a recruitment campaign for it's enemies, who's educated leaders (like the late 'Osama Bin Laden' knew) know the 'Truth' of 20C post WW2 History' a little of which u refer to above, often from 1st hand double-dealing experience with "You Know Who"! But hey! What do I know? Lets keep it simple!

Thai people dont fancy communists or jews for that matter. Some time ago I was sitting next to Gen. Sayut during lunch, he was supreme commander of the thai armed forces when they defeated the last communist enclave in Khao Yai in the late 1960's, what he told me about what they found in Khao Yai its no suprise the Thais have no problem with killing communists.

Please do educate me as how "jews" fit into your comment. I was unaware that Thais don't fancy "jews". Please explain what makes you think this.

Actually, he's correct, at least in my case. My wife is Thai and has done some tours for foreigners..there happened to be a so-called "jew" in the group..she did not care much for her at all...she complained non-stop and felt she was above everyone else present..

They seem to fancy communists today 'red shirts'

None in my family died. They all fought for the allies and killed the nazi scum.

Most Germans were not Nazis but conscripts.

I understand my grandfather did kill one or more Germans during the second world war, he never spoke about it but it troubled him.

It was kill or be killed.

• Like 2

I haven't had time to read all the posts. The Cartoon characterization of Mohammad were an example of emotion over reason.

Thailand has plenty of sacred cows that they get upset about, so they might want to exercise care in being offensive. Westerners are better at it, anyway.

[Thailand has plenty of sacred cows that they get upset about]

That is true, but everybody should allow free speech, instead of using every little thing making them nuts.

Edited by blows
  • Like 1

Not just tourists, but tax paying workers too. Not every white face is a tourist. Poor reporting. How many people reading ThaiVisa have a relative who died during this war....on either side (the frontline men were trying to do the "right" thing for their country)?

I know of 3 relatives in my family alone.

My aunt in The Netherlands was killed in WW2.

...but I don't take offence to this. It amazes me. It's a curiosity. People are fascinated by Hitler. Why? Because he IS a fascinating character.

As time marches on WW2 will become distant history book memories as all wars before it have become.

I think several days of rioting and at least a score of deaths is in order... Oh wait, I was thinking of a non-existent thread. giggle.gif

Of course it's a storm in a teacup but a little irritating all the same as Thais seem very sensitive when the joke is the other way. Perhaps they should be told just so they can no longer claim ignorance and either be more sensitive, or better still just grow a thicker skin when the roles are reversed.

• Like 1

I being jewish have always gotten a good response from Thais when they ask about my religion and find out I'm jewish. I was completely in the dark about this "thais don't fancy jews" thing. Thank your wife for me for clarifying it. Just wondering how your wife knew she was a "so called jew"? Did she have her yellow star sewn on?

Edited by Jayman