2012 All Food Related.Restaurants,Recipes, Suggestions Etc... Best Pizza, Hamburger,Thai Food, Seafood,European Food.......

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but was driving back from maenam and stopped at the art cafe at samui town centre just after the bo phut traffic lights.

It's a interesting place which caters for vegetarians, vegans and thankfully the common carnivore the food is mainly Thai but unlike most Thai food on the island is quite unique and msg free. I had the gang gurri Kung and my wife had Laab Gai and both were very tasty.

Service was prompt and friendly and the price was very reasonable for the quality of the food served would recommend to anyone who is looking for well presented healthy, tasty Thai food.

P. S. If all that veg is too much and you need to indulge. The cheese cake was also delicious.

Yes, I am sorry too as I was looking forward too it. Maybe it was an off day.

i think she does rotate her staff, i have had some fantastic food there, but on maybe one occasion not so good !

If you are after a quick lunch snack, the Lamb roll is a must !

Easy Recipe - Oven roasted chickpeas

Drain and rinse one can of chick peas

post-38575-0-12293200-1349137678_thumb.j

Pat dry with a paper towel

Put into a bowl, add about 15ml (1 tablespoon) of olive oil and add your favorite spices (chili powder, salt, pepper, cinnamon etc), mix well

Lay them out flat on your cooking tray

Cook at 180C for about 35-40 minutes

And here is the result

post-38575-0-36165400-1349137725_thumb.j

An easy to prepare snack. Hope you can enjoy.

• Like 1

Shakespear bar on the ghost road has the best roast of all that i've tried this year.

What time do they start serving and how much is it?

- Start time unclear but he's underway by 2pm (busy after 3pm).

- I can't remember the price either, but I would if it had been expensive:)

Edited by evadgib

Yes, I am sorry too as I was looking forward too it. Maybe it was an off day.

i think she does rotate her staff, i have had some fantastic food there, but on maybe one occasion not so good !

If you are after a quick lunch snack, the Lamb roll is a must !

....as is the Chicken & Advocado:)

I do the best food on the island but only for me and the wife !!! but have to say that Angie's bakery in Maenam do the most wonderfull cakes for all occassions i believe that she was trained in Europe , never had a meal in there but have had lots of birthday cakes and they are so yummy !!!!

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but was driving back from maenam and stopped at the art cafe at samui town centre just after the bo phut traffic lights.

It's a interesting place which caters for vegetarians, vegans and thankfully the common carnivore the food is mainly Thai but unlike most Thai food on the island is quite unique and msg free. I had the gang gurri Kung and my wife had Laab Gai and both were very tasty.

Service was prompt and friendly and the price was very reasonable for the quality of the food served would recommend to anyone who is looking for well presented healthy, tasty Thai food.

P. S. If all that veg is too much and you need to indulge. The cheese cake was also delicious.

My wife rarely lets me pass by the Art Cafe with stopping to pick up a piece of chocolate cake for her. Have had lunch there also with no complaints.

I see on Angela's facebook page that as she roasts beef & lamb on Sundays for the weeks sandwiches,

if she is notified by Friday she will do a Sunday roast dinner for anyone interested.

I know she was doing them up until a month or so ago, they seemed to be quite popular.

Shakespear bar on the ghost road has the best roast of all that i've tried this year.

What time do they start serving and how much is it?

- Start time unclear but he's underway by 2pm (busy after 3pm).

- I can't remember the price either, but I would if it had been expensive:)

Nice one that's our Sunday Dinner sorted, cheers smile.png

Has anyone tried the new chippy that's appeared near the tyre place between Bank Rak & FV? Do they do takeaways?

If you are talking about the one near to the candle shop - it has been there a while. But - unobtrusive. Fish and chips - pies sandwiches ec.

I have not tried it, but I have a friend who swears by them. Good taste good value. Of course they do takeaways, apart from the 'all you can eat' places I thought that everyone does. This F & C place does - for sure.

Has anyone tried the new chippy that's appeared near the tyre place between Bank Rak & FV? Do they do takeaways?

If you are talking about the one near to the candle shop - it has been there a while. But - unobtrusive. Fish and chips - pies sandwiches ec.

I have not tried it, but I have a friend who swears by them. Good taste good value. Of course they do takeaways, apart from the 'all you can eat' places I thought that everyone does. This F & C place does - for sure.

Over 2years ... Homemade pies I think

FV?

I'm on Samui at the moment and would like to try the chippy. Some more details please.

Thanks

FV?

I'm on Samui at the moment and would like to try the chippy. Some more details please.

Thanks

Coming from FV towards Bangrak.

As you start to meet habitation after the beach next to Punpreeda and Relay, on the left is a Baan Sabai Spa and a hotel - Scent Hotel. On the right a tyre retailer (if he is open). After the tyre place on the right - some shop houses. It is there (I think) on the right.

It's a very small place - looks more like a coffee shop than a chippie

• Like 1

Now we're looking for a good steak place on Samui. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Best steak on the island - Larry's Shack in Bophut (FV). Not cheap - but very good.

It can get very busy when there are tourists around.

Enter FV from the archway coming from the traffic lights. Turn left at the pier. Carry on SLOWLY through the village and near the end on the left. If you see Billabong surf club on the right - you have missed it. (There is also a good Mexican place in the village)

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

They are very easy to make and once you have made them a couple of times you can get them spot on every time. I came across the food processor whilst looking for a camera tripod in the utility room and have been spending a lot of time in the kitchen of late. I made some very nice Naan breads yesterday and today I am going to make some a banana loaf. If I do say so myself I am a bit of a Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen.

Not that anything I turn out is like his cooking but there tends to be lots of cussing and cursing coming from the kitchen when I am in it whistling.gif

• Like 1

They are very easy to make and once you have made them a couple of times you can get them spot on every time. I came across the food processor whilst looking for a camera tripod in the utility room and have been spending a lot of time in the kitchen of late. I made some very nice Naan breads yesterday and today I am going to make some a banana loaf. If I do say so myself I am a bit of a Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen.

Not that anything I turn out is like his cooking but there tends to be lots of cussing and cursing coming from the kitchen when I am in it whistling.gif

Sounds like you should start giving cooking classes... Rooo will probably be your first customer! He's been on about crumpet for a while now...biggrin.png ...

But then Angela's baking is very good thumbsup.gif .... might pop down and see what days she's making them...

I think you may have a ways to go to reach Gordon Ramsey standards biggrin.png tongue.png

So do you have a tandoori oven yet, to cook the Naan bread? wink.png

The recipe for crumpets is here. Very easy to make and with a little practice you can get lovely fresh crumpets to smother in butter. link here

http://britishfood.about.com/od/eorecipes/r/Recipe-Traditional-English-Crumpets.htm

Jimmy i am working on a design for a Tandoori oven using one of the big clay plant pots. I will let you see the finished article when I finish it. Till then i cheat and just use a griddle. Again very easy to make and you can do all sorts to them and they freeze well. I did a large batch and made some Garlic and onion, garlic and herb, Kashmiri with raisins and sultanas and some plain.

Also my cooking may have a way to go before I am anywhere near his dishes but I am on par easily in the cussing and cursing department thumbsup.gif

I ordered expensive crumpet rings and realised once again how stupid I am: they looked like somebody had slit off the bottom of a can and then produced crumpet rings. I do mine in the toaster, so I can't make them too thick. I found some in Tescos Korat, they seem to be sugared and are unnecessarily horrible.

The recipe for crumpets is here. Very easy to make and with a little practice you can get lovely fresh crumpets to smother in butter. link here

http://britishfood.a...sh-Crumpets.htm

Jimmy i am working on a design for a Tandoori oven using one of the big clay plant pots. I will let you see the finished article when I finish it. Till then i cheat and just use a griddle. Again very easy to make and you can do all sorts to them and they freeze well. I did a large batch and made some Garlic and onion, garlic and herb, Kashmiri with raisins and sultanas and some plain.

Also my cooking may have a way to go before I am anywhere near his dishes but I am on par easily in the cussing and cursing department thumbsup.gif

I watched Babu at Indian Hot restaurant in Maenam, make his... the clay pot is surrounded by rock salt, between the outer wall and clay pot.

Not sure where he got rock salt from, but there was a lot of it used! Helps retain the heat I guess! .... not something to have in an inside kitchen!!! ..... Phew! .... the heat! w00t.gif

But let us know when you start giving out samples! biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

I see on that recipe page there is recipe for Welsh pancakes.... that brings back memories from childhood days of holidays, I spent in Wales, thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy