Engine Braking Safe Or Not?

gravion

hello boys and girls, im keen to know about engine braking, ive tried heaps on 125cc wave, and the bike is quite able to slow down with stability, but for 650cc class when i do engine braking (shifting down) the bike wobbles hard.... i realy need to lower the speed to stabelize, but i sometimes feel really need quick engine braking and i luv da sound. so whz up?

also er6n got misfiring system?? i quite frquenly hear popping sound like those rally cars.

Edited by gravion

do you rev match or just drop the clutch? no slipper clutch on the EX650 so if you're just dropping the clutch the back end can squirm a bit.

yeah, twins pop. plugging the pair valve and installing a properly tuned fuel injection module will greatly reduce the amount of after-fire.

• Like 1

Brakes are cheaper than engines, brake with the brakes and be in the correct to exit the corner. Of course if you are a MotoGp star and want to slide into the cornerwink.png

Then again I am guilty as well in the past and used to purposely enter tunnels fast and snap the throttle shut wub.png same same in a Mini Cooper S

I don't think it is even possible on a CBR150...wink.png

possible on any bike except for the tricycle your riding.

If you would like to insult me face to face, just let me know where youd like to meet anytime.

possibly 4000+ rpm and shifting down will cause wobble..... i tried relasing the clutch slowly, but somes wobble wooble happens... im scared,

what does twin mean?

i luv revving hard on 2nd 3rd gear and letting the throttle off... pop pop pop wuuunn..... brooom..... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENEN>>........ wunnnn..... pop pop popp..... brrrooom.... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN...... broom brooom.... pop pop pop... wuuuun.............

If you would like to insult me face to face, just let me know where youd like to meet anytime.

Wow, so touchy.....I would say that to your face any time, it's hardly an insult, just a fact of small displacement machines.

Edited by madjbs

possibly 4000+ rpm and shifting down will cause wobble..... i tried relasing the clutch slowly, but somes wobble wooble happens... im scared,

what does twin mean?

i luv revving hard on 2nd 3rd gear and letting the throttle off... pop pop pop wuuunn..... brooom..... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENEN>>........ wunnnn..... pop pop popp..... brrrooom.... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN...... broom brooom.... pop pop pop... wuuuun.............

Ur doing it wrong. Try going from 5th to 2nd and it should work out better. Best results in the wet.

Edited by necronx99

Wow, so touchy.....I would say that to your face any time, it's hardly an insult, just a fact of small displacement machines.

then come do it then.

Weird.........all you are doing is making a fool of yourself.clap2.gif

Lets see what other FACTS of small displacement bikes you would like to argue or take as a personal insult.

Usually:

-They are slower

-They are more unstable

-They have less torque

-They have less HP

-They are lighter

-They corner quicker

-They are cheaper

Take your pick? All facts, no insults.

what does twin mean?

Ur doing it wrong. Try going from 5th to 2nd and it should work out better. Best results in the wet.

Forgot on a major road where there is a lot of residual oil...

**edit**

I had to laugh. The pissing match above in regards to small displacement bike had this advert following.

post-27441-0-08175100-1331096149_thumb.j

Edited by dave_boo
  • Like 1

Brakes are cheaper than engines, brake with the brakes and be in the correct to exit the corner. Of course if you are a MotoGp star and want to slide into the cornerwink.png

They also overheat like engines. If you are driving down a big mountain and you over use your brakes, they can overheat and you will be left with no brakes at all. Not good!

Lets see what other FACTS of small displacement bikes you would like to argue or take as a personal insult.

Usually:

-They are slower

-They are more unstable

-They have less torque

-They have less HP

-They are lighter

-They corner quicker

-They are cheaper

You forgot the LOS trendy bicycle wheel conversion. drunk.gif

I have used engine braking on every manual transmission with a hand clutch that I ever owned. It just seems natural and certainly has never hurt any of my bikes. I do it with my manual transmission cars and trucks too. As far as I am concerned, not using gears when slowing down is the sure sign of a rookie driver. You DON'T allow the engine to go down to idle then downshift and then pop the clutch on a bike or a four wheel vehicle.

The semi automatics are much more tricky downshifting because the clutch release is in the shifting pedal mechanism and downshifting is more trouble than it is worth unless going down a long hill. This is to prevent the brakes from overheating. Even my fully automatic scooter uses some engine braking all by itself.

I have used engine braking on every manual transmission with a hand clutch that I ever owned. It just seems natural and certainly has never hurt any of my bikes. I do it with my manual transmission cars and trucks too. As far as I am concerned, not using gears when slowing down is the sure sign of a rookie driver. You DON'T allow the engine to go down to idle then downshift and then pop the clutch on a bike or a four wheel vehicle.

The semi automatics are much more tricky downshifting because the clutch release is in the shifting pedal mechanism and downshifting is more trouble than it is worth unless going down a long hill. This is to prevent the brakes from overheating. Even my fully automatic scooter uses some engine braking all by itself.

Correct, in UK on steep gradients there is usually a road sign saying ''Low Gear''.

Usually:

-They are slower

-They are more unstable

-They have less torque

-They have less HP

-They are lighter

-They corner quicker

-They are cheaper

Whatever. Your riding a CBR 250 hardly a vast improvement over the 150 when mildly modified.

what does twin mean?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Whatever. Your riding a CBR 250 hardly a vast improvement over the 150 when mildly modified.

What are you on about? I have a BMW F650GS and a R1150GS, oh and a scoopy.

The point is that you take someone stating a CBR150 is very hard to lock the back wheel in engine braking (which is a good thing, and normal on small bikes) as a personal insult. Very strange...

Edited by madjbs

What are you on about? I have a BMW F650GS and a R1150GS, oh and a scoopy.

The point is that you take someone stating a CBR150 is very hard to lock the back wheel in engine braking (which is a good thing, and normal on small bikes) as a personal insult. Very strange...

that wasnt your point. I think you know what you were trying to imply

Thanks for letting me know what you ride, couldnt be many of those around ;)

that wasnt your point. I think you know what you were trying to imply

My point was exactly as I said. It is not easy not lock the rear wheel of a small bike with engine braking. Anything else you think I was trying to imply is purely in your own imagination. Sounds like you are a bit sensitive on this issue...

Why anyone would want to do it is a bit bewildering to me anyhow.

Edited by madjbs

Ditto.

I wonder if maybe you are getting two different activities mixed up...

One is engine braking, which is basically the effect of the compression of the engine, in gear, throttle closed, and using that to slow the bike... the second is changing down through the gears, with our without the clutch...

Engine braking is fine, in any gear, close the throttle and you should never have any break in traction on any surface...

Slamming down through the gears, where the selected gear doesn't match the speed is bad news... this is somewhat softened by letting the clutch out slowly, but then you are putting unnecessary strain on the clutch...

Brakes are for slowing, gears are for going... especially in a bike where the rear only does about 5% of the braking work anyway...

Also, if you are loosing traction when shifting down, take note of whether you are also riding the rear brake (or if you have linked brakes)... the rear can only handle about 5% of braking duties, if you are already doing that with the rear brake, and adding more with the engine, you are looking for trouble...

Cheers,

Daewoo

^ It is the same thing, just one is a more aggressive form of it than the other. As long as the gear your are shifting down to won't red line the bike then it's fine, you might need to rev match before letting the clutch out though if you are changing down aggressively, or the back could get the wobbles.

Edited by madjbs

^ It is the same thing, just one is a more aggressive form of it than the other. As long as the gear your are shifting down to won't red line the bike then it's fine, you might need to rev match before letting the clutch out though if you are changing down aggressively, or the back could get the wobbles.

Of course, but as per the OP,

"i luv revving hard on 2nd 3rd gear and letting the throttle off... pop pop pop wuuunn..... brooom..... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENEN>>........ wunnnn..... pop pop popp..... brrrooom.... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN...... broom brooom.... pop pop pop... wuuuun............. "

He seems more interested in the sound show rather than the mechanics or physics, so perhaps he should just stick to the brakes and just make loud whing whing sounds as he does so.....when the machine stops he can just put another 5 baht in. The noises will probably start to annoy the others in the shopping centre though.