English-Language Radio

onthemoon

There used to be three channels, FM88, FM 95.5, and FM 105. All three still feature English-language news from the Public Relations department, but only one offers English-language programs.

When there were three, I had the choice. Depending on the time of day or the day of the week, I would listen to one or the other. One had a program playing songs from the 60s, 70s and 80s on my way to work - I loved it.

Then one day, it was a first of January a few years ago, all this stopped. Only FM 88 had English-language DJs, and they played "some old songs". Well OK, we are in Thailand, and things change. It wasn't much later (a year or two) when the music improved, and there were good DJs that could talk in a way that I enjoyed listening to the radio again. Not at all times, as each DJ of course has their own style and did not have a choice any more.

Recently this has changed again. On my way to work, I get lengthy interviews about the love-life of the Australian sea urchin, and the shortcomings of the Australian social system. Quite interesting when you are an Australian living in Australia, but these are the good times. More and more often some Thai people with inferior English skills read reports that I have the feeling they don't understand themselves. It is simply impossible to listen to them, and I find myself switching to Thai-language stations (especially those mentioned above) more and more often.

Also the news flash or the news hours by the PRD are more difficult to follow with time. I don't mind a slight Thai accent, but often enough, it is really exhausting to try and listen to them. Newsreader is a profession, these people get trained and have skills - in other countries at least. Why does the PRD embarrass themselves with such inferior newsreaders? They used to employ native speakers, either foreigners or bilingual Thai people.

Well, end of rant. I like radio (currently listening to Pattaya FM 105 via the link on ThaiVisa), and don't own a TV set. Bangkok had a good English-language radio culture, I am just sad that it's gone.

• Like 1

In the age of the Internet it's possible to listen to hundreds of English language radio stations,want to listen in the car down load the latest pod cast no problems.

My car radio only receives local stations. It doesn't have internet either.

And the idea of radio is to listen live, not to download and listen later... You do not seem to be a real radio aficionado.

I am currently working overseas, not in Thailand, and really like the FM105 on TV. Its my escape. Thanks TV!!!!!!! I will relocate back to Thailand at the end of this month and hope I am not stuck with CDs again. LOL

In the age of the Internet it's possible to listen to hundreds of English language radio stations,want to listen in the car down load the latest pod cast no problems.

And the idea of radio is to listen live, not to download and listen later... You do not seem to be a real radio aficionado.

Get a smartphone, a 3g service plan and listen online through headphones or via the car stereo

Get a smartphone, a 3g service plan and listen online through headphones or via the car stereo

this, very easy to set up

But the OP is technophobic.

But the OP is technophobic.

Not really, but radiophile which may be outdated. But then, who do they broadcast these live feeds on radio frequencies for? I guess it's for the likes of me, otherwise there wouldn't be any terrestrial radio any more, but only internet radio. And cars wouldn't be sold with traditional radios but only with internet radios.

Yes, I can see that in the future... In the meantime, I have to listen to the love-life of Australian sea urchins. Do you listen to the radio?

I have to agree with you. 88 was fine up until the floods, then it seems all the D.J's must have abandoned ship. 107 is ok but mailny English music but Thai speaking presenters.

in the morning and on my way home from work it has only been english spekaing presenters they are thai but there english is ok and all the news has been in english too

Edited by MaprangHolmes

I have to agree with you. 88 was fine up until the floods, then it seems all the D.J's must have abandoned ship. 107 is ok but mailny English music but Thai speaking presenters.

in the morning and on my way home from work it has only been english spekaing presenters they are thai but there english is ok and all the news has been in english too

This was my first day listening to 107. If their programming continues like today, 88 will have lost a customer.

ONTHEMOON

Yes, I get it, I just dont believe there will be any English stations in BKK so I am sure I am stuck with CDs. LOL

I f you read the thread , the OP mentions some, 88 used to be good, now we really only have 107 which is ok and plays fairly up to date English music.

Actually am sure they were playing a Christmas song the other weekclap2.gif