UK pensions

13 hours ago, ignis said:

yes up to a point....... only I do not get anything in December.. 

Not quite sure how that would happen.

Anyway this all started because someone was convinced that when he starts his OAP this year was so adamant it was monthly and not every 28 days.

I was unsure if perhaps they were changing things this year.

14 hours ago, ignis said:

yes up to a point....... only I do not get anything in December.. 

So....... 13 payments in 11 months ?.........no ?

A foot long piece of string is still a foot long..... however you try to bend it.

Edited by Jip99
1 hour ago, transam said:

Impossible....:stoner:

Impossible... Why ??

December is Christmas/New year...  I will get mine on 1st Nov then again on 29th Nov...  then on 27th Dec ??........ this past Christmas the 27th Dec payment arrived on 3rd Jan...  no reason why it will be any different this year,  this past Christmas/New year, received beginning and end of November and then received beginning and end of January..... Therefore I did not receive any Pension payment in December 2017

No payments are sent out between 23rd Dec and 2nd Jan.. only they said on the phone, if you live or Bank in the UK

My Pension is Mondays arrived in BKK Bank Wednesday afternoons......  Dec Payment day is Christmas day 

Edited by ignis
33 minutes ago, ignis said:

Impossible... Why ??

December is Christmas/New year...  I will get mine on 1st Nov then again on 29th Nov...  then on 27th Dec ??........ this past Christmas the 27th Dec payment arrived on 3rd Jan...  no reason why it will be any different this year,  this past Christmas/New year, received beginning and end of November and then received beginning and end of January..... Therefore I did not receive any Pension payment in December 2017

No payments are sent out between 23rd Dec and 2nd Jan.. only they said on the phone, if you live or Bank in the UK

My Pension is Mondays arrived in BKK Bank Wednesday afternoons......  Dec Payment day is Christmas day 

Good point, regarding bank closed days....Bit of a bummer...:stoner:

I had to chase my Armed Forces pension today (Friday).

It is normally in my account before lunch on the 17th monthly (unless the 17th is a weekend or a holiday).

I called KBank about 15:45 and gave all the details she asked for and she eventually called me back and told me the money would be in the account within 5 minutes, and it was.

On 17/11/2017 at 11:15 AM, billd766 said:

Not really as the payments from the UK are automated and Christmas Day is not a holiday in Thailand.

'are automated' one would think so in this day and age........ Sadly NO.. if living overseas then all Christmas and New Year payment will arrive in 2018...  My UK Pension comes via Citi Bank, so UK - Ireland - Thailand....... as said for past 2 years my December Pension has arrived on 3rd January 

Looking on the Government Sate pension website a few moments ago:

Sate Pension for UK Banks Accounts......

• 25th December payment will be made into your benefits bank account on Friday 22nd December 2017
  •  26th December payment will be made on Friday 22nd December
  •  28th December payments will be made on Wednesday 27th December
  • 2nd January 2018 payment due will be made on Friday 29th December 2017
  •  
  • Like 1
On 11/4/2017 at 5:49 PM, JAS21 said:

Moving money from the US to Thailand is expensive.

I have not found a cheaper way of moving money from the UK to Thailand than TransferWise ... I have bought thb using Moneycorp ... used my bank to send gbp and used Xend Pay ...

If anyone knows a cheaper way please tell ....

There is an easy way to find out. Use Monito website. https://www.monito.com/

They add up all the costs for each of the xch. providers and give a list of the best ones.

Most times it is Currencies Direct which is giving the best rate.

Den

Comprehensive document on frozen pensions, includes full details of the legal challenge.

Extracts from the text.

"National Insurance contributions had no exclusive link to retirement pensions, comparable with contributions to a private pension scheme. In fact the link was a rather tenuous one.73"

"National Insurance Contributions were only one part of the United Kingdom’s complex system of taxation and the National Insurance Fund was just one of a number of sources of revenue used to pay for the United Kingdom’s Social Security and National Health systems. The applicants’ payment of National Insurance Contributions during their working lives in the United Kingdom was not therefore any more significant than the fact that they might have paid income tax or other taxes while domiciled there."

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=17&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjRjKDMk-XXAhWJuo8KHUjDDxkQFgiBATAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fresearchbriefings.files.parliament.uk%2Fdocuments%2FSN01457%2FSN01457.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1fABe6S_6P2ny0v46rJW4B

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Comprehensive document on frozen pensions, includes full details of the legal challenge.

Extracts from the text.

"National Insurance contributions had no exclusive link to retirement pensions, comparable with contributions to a private pension scheme. In fact the link was a rather tenuous one.73"

"National Insurance Contributions were only one part of the United Kingdom’s complex system of taxation and the National Insurance Fund was just one of a number of sources of revenue used to pay for the United Kingdom’s Social Security and National Health systems. The applicants’ payment of National Insurance Contributions during their working lives in the United Kingdom was not therefore any more significant than the fact that they might have paid income tax or other taxes while domiciled there."

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=17&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjRjKDMk-XXAhWJuo8KHUjDDxkQFgiBATAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fresearchbriefings.files.parliament.uk%2Fdocuments%2FSN01457%2FSN01457.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1fABe6S_6P2ny0v46rJW4B

Pigs will fly before we get our pensions upgraded .

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Extracts from the text.

In other words, the govt. should be more honest and integrate tax and N.I.?

• Like 1
Just now, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

In principle, so they should. The risk for pensioners is that they will do this without making any special provision for those who are past state pension age and no longer make NI contributions.

Good point, but politicians are v. aware of the 'grey' vote, and it would be suicidal to not make provision.

We all know that the various govts. made no attempt to put N.I. pension contributions into a separate 'pot' - so surely it would be more honest to just have one income tax rate that included the current, separate N.I. rate.

Understandably, the govt. have no interest in doing so as it would make the percentage of tax being claimed even more obvious to those who mistakenly believe their N.I. payments are separate to general taxation.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Good point, but politicians are v. aware of the 'grey' vote, and it would be suicidal to not make provision.

We all know that the various govts. made no attempt to put N.I. pension contributions into a separate 'pot' - so surely it would be more honest to just have one income tax rate that included the current, separate N.I. rate.

Understandably, the govt. have no interest in doing so as it would make the percentage of tax being claimed even more obvious to those who mistakenly believe their N.I. payments are separate to general taxation.

This would lead to groups of individuals being disadvantaged. At present pensions are exempt from NI payments, but are assesable as income for tax purposes. Therefore at present a person receiving a pension and still working does not pay NI on the pension payment received , however if NI was incorporated into the general taxation , then they would be become liable .

There would also be an issue of determining who would be eligible for the state pension. Would it be only people who have paid tax ?, 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

In other words, the govt. should be more honest and integrate tax and N.I.?

Generally speaking I would support the judicial system but in this case I think they have either got it wrong or bowing to the government.

If NI contributions are not related to pension benefits then why was contracting out introduced, where effectively contributions to a state pension benefit were exchanged for contributions to a private pension benefit.

State pensions were only ever to be paid from general taxation if there was a shortfall in NI collections but unfortunately that has become the norm, that does not mean state pensions are sourced from taxation.

• Like 1

It is also worth considering that if NI and Income tax were merged to simplify taxation as has been versed before how would this affect the amount of tax you actually pay? As someone over 60 you pay no NI but if it were merged what might  happen to your tax allowance, would it be taken into account or would you just end up paying more tax?

The HMG as usual say all things to all people and look out for a change of word which changes the end game, I give you "entitlement" to "benefit" as an example. When you really have them in a corner, they simply ignore the question until it goes away.

As for the grey vote, well dont count much on their support, all that I read and the way its written seems to be "I'm alright Jack" stuff and they probably thing that if they give ex pats more they will get less. Its a scrum for cash lets face it, even in the NHS if they got a load of cash thrown at them the first thing the staff would say is "how much for me!" Sadly thats the way things are today.

• Like 1
On 11/30/2017 at 9:31 AM, bert bloggs said:

Pigs will fly before we get our pensions upgraded .

I hope that you are wrong as a lot of people suffer this injustice of frozen pensions. Corbyn has said that he will look very seriously at this issue when they come to power!

On 12/3/2017 at 3:37 PM, evadgib said:

Moves are also afoot to protest during the CHOGM meeting in london next year...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/10251775/Suspend-Britain-from-Commonwealth-over-unfair-expat-pensions.html

How many board members have actually joined the consortiums and assisted re lobbying? My gut feeling is not many.

I have ,long ago , only way to campaign.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hugh Jarse said:

I hope that you are wrong as a lot of people suffer this injustice of frozen pensions. Corbyn has said that he will look very seriously at this issue when they come to power!

Yeh right , if and its a very big if ,Corbyyn came to power he would look at it seriously ,then forget all about it and move on .

The last Labour govt looked at it under Blair and fought tooth and nail to make sure we did not get them .

to be blunt the only way you will get the rises is to keep an address in the UK and lie .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1