UK pensions

Anyone liable to tax is entitled to an allowance.

Really not true. If you check the notes for form SA109 boxes 15 and 16 you'll see (amongst others) that youre not entitled to personal allowances if:

(1) You're a resident of Kenya, Mauritius or Zambia;

(2) You're a resident but not a citizen, of Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, Portugal, Sweden or Switzerland and your income consists solely of dividends, interest and royalties (or a combination of both).

There are lots of other circumstances, but for present purposes those two examples suffice.

As a non-resident the key points for getting an allowance are that you're either a British citizen, or your country has an appropriate DTA with the UK.

Indeed.

As this is a Thailand forum you will understand the assumption that you were resident in Thailand.

Certainly, I would not be asking for advice on a Thai forum if I were not resident here!!

As a tax expert, would you please confirm whether a Singapore or Lao or Yemeni national resident in Thailand would be entitled to a UK personal tax allowance? My reading is that he/she would not be. So, even with your tacit assumption that the subject is only about residents in Thailand your assertion "Anyone liable to tax is entitled to an allowance" is still bull ordure of the highest odour.

Really not true. If you check the notes for form SA109 boxes 15 and 16 you'll see (amongst others) that youre not entitled to personal allowances if:

(1) You're a resident of Kenya, Mauritius or Zambia;

(2) You're a resident but not a citizen, of Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, Portugal, Sweden or Switzerland and your income consists solely of dividends, interest and royalties (or a combination of both).

There are lots of other circumstances, but for present purposes those two examples suffice.

As a non-resident the key points for getting an allowance are that you're either a British citizen, or your country has an appropriate DTA with the UK.

Indeed.

As this is a Thailand forum you will understand the assumption that you were resident in Thailand.

Certainly, I would not be asking for advice on a Thai forum if I were not resident here!!

As a tax expert, would you please confirm whether a Singapore or Lao or Yemeni national resident in Thailand would be entitled to a UK personal tax allowance? My reading is that he/she would not be. So, even with your tacit assumption that the subject is only about residents in Thailand your assertion "Anyone liable to tax is entitled to an allowance" is still bull ordure of the highest odour.

This won't end well...

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

I've been outside the UK for decades and am currently applying for my pension. Other than a partial state pension, I have a very small paid-up pension. Since non-residents don't get a personal allowance, it looks as though I'll have to pay 20% tax on the PUP. Is there any way I can avoid this or claim something that will offset it?

What makes you think you will not get the full allowance - you will.

This should be resolved during the application process - I suggest you write a covering letter explaining your circumstances (if it is not obvious in the application process)

I should think that most of us on here understood what you meant but there is always one.

• Like 2

I've been outside the UK for decades and am currently applying for my pension. Other than a partial state pension, I have a very small paid-up pension. Since non-residents don't get a personal allowance, it looks as though I'll have to pay 20% tax on the PUP. Is there any way I can avoid this or claim something that will offset it?

What makes you think you will not get the full allowance - you will.

This should be resolved during the application process - I suggest you write a covering letter explaining your circumstances (if it is not obvious in the application process)

It seems I might have mistaken "citizen of EEU" for "resident of EEU" on the "Tax on your UK income if you live abroad" page. Well, it sure is good news if my measly partial state pension is not subject to tax and I'm entitled to a personal allowance that is way more than the PUP. Pity I have to claim the tax back each year, though.

On a related topic, the operator of the private pension told me they would have to withhold tax at the emergency rate until they get a tax code from HMRC? But why wouldn't they be able to get one - because HMRC can't give them one until my state pension claim has been approved?

Edited by orientalist

Good effort smart a55......... did you come on here to seek advice, or to give it coffee1.gif

Next time perhaps you would provide correct information in your question.

Now run along.

All I did was correct the erroneous assertion of someone (you) who clearly doesn't know what he's writing about.

The one who needs to learn how to "provide correct information" is not I (unless you think there's a factual error in what I've written, in which case I'd appreciate your expert clarification). So now, why don't you run along, unless you're going to answer my question about Singapore, Lao and Yemeni nationals' entitlement to a UK personal tax allowance, or are going to apologise for posting on a matter about which you are clearly clueless.

Of course they are entitled IF they are dual citizens and have paid their dues.

But of course you didn't clarify your statement to say that they are single national citizens. My Thai son would be entitled to a pension IF he works in the UK and pays his dues.

Why? Because he has dual nationality.

You are the one who is clueless as you don't define the parameters of your statement.

You are the one who is clueless as you don't define the parameters of your statement.

I may be clueless, but at least I can keep up with the discussion. Please pay attention. My responses have all been to the assertion that:

This is blatantly not true. And everything I have written has been to support that fact.

Pension has just come in at 45.69, down again on last month. In real terms that is about 9K loss since the vote. Of course it is only an indefinite temporary situation.

No doubt the 'get over it brigade' will be out in force, maybe I should follow the lead and have my pension paid in the UK at the full rate.

Pension has just come in at 45.69, down again on last month. In real terms that is about 9K loss since the vote. Of course it is only an indefinite temporary situation.

No doubt the 'get over it brigade' will be out in force, maybe I should follow the lead and have my pension paid in the UK at the full rate.

It's terrible,I'm also down this month,calculating from 51bht to 45.69. In total 2,000 baht per month,just so my country can be free. Ah well! Have to get off now, filling for bankruptcy.

We are all down ,get over it , we are free at last thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

It's terrible,I'm also down this month,calculating from 51bht to 45.69. In total 2,000 baht per month,just so my country can be free. Ah well! Have to get off now, filling for bankruptcy.

It hit THB 43 in 2007 and THB 95 a decade earlier, neither of which had anything to do with B-B-B....

Free from what?

It is beyond me.

Free from what?

It is beyond me.

Pay attention:

• Like 1

Get over it and stop moaning for God's sake.

You have been here long enough to have seen rates lower than that.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

Predictable response from the 'I'm all right Jacks'. Never before has pension income been reduced by deliberate vandalism on the UK economy. The most nauseating part is this display of pride that some have for this reduction in pension income, and in due course the income of the whole country.

• Like 2

Predictable response from the 'I'm all right Jacks'. Never before has pension income been reduced by deliberate vandalism on the UK economy. The most nauseating part is this display of pride that some have for this reduction in pension income, and in due course the income of the whole country.

Your selfishness and short-term myopia has no place on this UK Pensions thread.

• Like 2

Well l wouldn't be bothered if l was getting 1500 sqid a month and me's getting a lot less

than that l'm not bothered now. biggrin.png

I could not agree more.

It is quite astonishing that some take great delight when others are suffering severe income cuts.

It just beggars belief. bah.gif

I could not agree more.

It is quite astonishing that some take great delight when others are suffering severe income cuts.

If you can't afford a 10% movement in exchange rates, you shouldn't be living abroad.

• Like 1

I could not agree more.

Well we've been there done that already it came under discussing a planned retirement to secure your future for any event. coffee1.gif

I could not agree more.

If you can't afford a 10% movement in exchange rates, you shouldn't be living abroad.

If it was only 10% I might agree.

How far does it actually have to drop before you and your ilk stop the "don't like it go home" routine.

Just because you are loaded or get paid in Baht there is no need to gloat and take delight because some are suffering.

Some might not be able to get their annual extension this year because of this. Is that a reason to mock them?

I have to disagree suffering should not be blamed on exchange rates you should have planned a Thai retirement on a pound = baht equation the history and retirement situation has been place for many years.

I would take offence if someone accused me of gloating or mocking it's something l don't even think about let alone do.

Edited by Kwasaki