Editors' Choice Awards For 2012 Security Suites

Tywais

Summary: We've prepared our Editors' Choice awards for the 2012 security suites. As in years past, we've awarded one for a paid suite, and one for a free suite. Did your favorite come out on top?

After long deliberation, CNET has awarded the top two 2012 security suites Editors' Choice awards.

In the paid suite category, we decided on Bitdefender Total Security 2012 (download) for its top-rated security, its low impact on your computer's performance, and its excellent range of features. Bitdefender started strong out of the gate, and although some came close, notably Norton and F-Secure, Bitdefender posted an impressive set of benchmarks that kept it ahead.

Choosing a top free suite for the 2012 release cycle was even more challenging. After a few years of lackluster updates, popular Avira returned to the fold, not to mention tougher antivirus competition from big names like Microsoft and security stalwarts like AVG and Ad-Aware. In the end though, and admittedly with some hesitation, we have awarded Avast Free Antivirus 2012 (download) with an Editors' Choice.

CNET.com

I've been using Avast for years. I installed Comodo firewall recently. Last week I decided to give Comodo av a try. Turned out Avast AV was quite difficult to shut down, which I found impressive. My thinking was that if it's difficult for me to do it here, on the system console and with admin permissions, it will probably not be easy for an intruder.

Avast stays.

Also I've been using Avast for years on my PC and Laptop........

Question a friend also downloaded it last year, but made and error? or? anyway he has given me the XP Laptop ro try to sort out this problem..

Now it says Trial; ends in 3 days, I have tried to delete it....... click on the bottom of page to revert back to FREE, but always comes up with 'error'

Tried to down load the new version, dowloads fine 73 MB but run and also comes up 'error'

Any ideas please

Edited by ignis