Are Internet Speeds Getting Worse?

kyb789

Just want to check if any forum members are having the same problem as I am. Seems that my Buddy Internet is getting worse and worse in the evenings. Morning and mid-day is not so bad. Connection speeds to sites in the U.S are getting so slow I can't even log into my bank account anymore. Thailand sites seeme to be fine. Is anyone having similar problems with other providers? Or could this be provider specific?

I was just going to start a new topic when I saw this thread.

Yes, Internet speeds seem to be extremely slow these days. I have been using several computers and three different ISP's and the same result each time. Some websites take two minutes to open. Sometimes everything seems to be fine for a few minutes and then it goes slow again.

Getting pretty fed up with it.

Yes, Internet speeds seem to be extremely slow these days. I have been using several computers and three different ISP's and the same result each time. Some websites take two minutes to open. Sometimes everything seems to be fine for a few minutes and then it goes slow again.

If the several computers and three ISPs have all been from the same local/residence in Thailand maybe it just the line/connection leading to your residence. I'm assuming you are using ADSL compared to cell phone/aircard GPRS/Edge where the max real world speed is only around 150-200Kb.

Edited by Pib

Same, pretty bad on 3b, tripple t or whatever they call emselves now. Both office and home, crappy for the last month. In CM. ... Call centre resets something, improves for an hour, then back to crap.

Was pretty good and stable for more than a year.

If the several computers and three ISPs have all been from the same local/residence in Thailand maybe it just the line/connection leading to your residence. I'm assuming you are using ADSL compared to cell phone/aircard GPRS/Edge where the max real world speed is only around 150-200Kb.

I've been trying for the last 30 minutes to reply to this.

I have tried from three different locations.

At home I use True 8 Mbps and yesterday it seemed ok.

My friend lives in a condo with lan and usually gets around 8Mbs too but yesterday wnas disconnected constantly and almost impossible to use Internet.

Today I am at work and did an Adsl speed test.

Bangkok server Down:20.01 Mbps. Up 7.46 Mbps

New york server: ping 301 Down 0.84 Mbps Up: Error (after 10 minute wait).

Now using mobile to reply as I couldn't reply from pc.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

My friend lives in a condo with lan and usually gets around 8Mbs too but yesterday wnas disconnected constantly and almost impossible to use Internet.

Here's some today Speedtest.net numbers to compare with your yesterday numbers...I'm in Bangkok on a True 20Mb/2mb DOCSIS plan.

Bangkok server: Ping 11ms; Download 20.4Mb; Upload 2.1Mb (with True proxy server settings turned on or off)

New York server: Ping 285ms; Download 3.34Mb; Upload 0.79Mb (with True proxy turned on; otherwise, I get 11ms/20.4Mb down/2.1Mb up bogus, faster-than-the-speed-of-light, cache server results)

Above have been my typical results ever since being on True even when flood waters were up to 1.5 meters deep were in my moobaan...I was so surprised that the service worked no problem for those approx 6 weeks we had flood waters in the moobaan; now for my neighbors who were on TOT ADSL they lost their service due to ground level junction boxes being flooded...most have switched to True cable internet since....and TOT is now installing junction boxes mounted high on poles feed by fiber optics....guess losing a lot of internet customers motivated them into upgrading. For speeds to international web sites like New York the time of day will affect the results to where my download speed could be in the 3 to 6Mb ballpark.

• 4 months later...

I live in Sampran (Nakhon Pathom), and the TOT ADSL service is PATHETIC. Latest speed test yielded results of 0.68 Mbps Up and 0.15 Mbps Down....I am supposed to be getting 4.0 Up and 0.5 dpwn. Doing a simple email is a chore. Forget about running stock trading platforms with streaming data. Time to move to BKK and try and get a real internet service; this is a bad joke.

I really think the issue of inconsistent internet speeds is the proliferation of smartphones and tablets. More and more locals are getting these devices and using them for watching TV, gaming, YouTube, watching movies, etc. and the Thai internet infrastructure just isn't able to handle it. For those of us trying to run a business that demands consistency and decent speeds, Thailand is rapidly becoming NOT the place to run a business that demands this. Guess the Thai PooBahs that decide how and when to upgrade the internet infrastructure think we all run go-go bars...

Same, pretty bad on 3b, tripple t or whatever they call emselves now. Both office and home, crappy for the last month. In CM. ... Call centre resets something, improves for an hour, then back to crap.

Was pretty good and stable for more than a year.

I notice the same thing. I moved to Sampran, Nakhon Pathom 6 years ago and the TOT ADSL was lousy then. Then a couple of years ago, TOT upgraded their speeds and things were good until the past 6-12 months. Now it's back to the way it was 6 years ago. I think it's the all the additional smartphones and tablets that are being used to watch TV, movies, gaming, etc. and that's eating up the bandwith bigtime. I can only get TOT where I am, and I think that's a big part of the problem. I've made the decision to move to Bangkok and get a real internet service. TGF isn't happy about moving, but I have a biz to run and if she doesn't like it, asta la vista baby...

Location Rayong

ISP True DOCSIS 10/1

Just now Bangkok Ping 39ms Down 10.87Mb Up 1.22Mb

New York Ping 247ms Down 2.37Mb Up 1.09Mb

London Ping 324ms Down 3.39Mb Up 1.08Mb

Also (my personal 'is my internet speed ok' test), can still stream HD from BBC iPlayer with minimal re-buffering (once per 10 min) SD no probs..

About normal for me.

Here's some today Speedtest.net numbers to compare with your yesterday numbers...I'm in Bangkok on a True 20Mb/2mb DOCSIS plan.

Bangkok server: Ping 11ms; Download 20.4Mb; Upload 2.1Mb (with True proxy server settings turned on or off)

New York server: Ping 285ms; Download 3.34Mb; Upload 0.79Mb (with True proxy turned on; otherwise, I get 11ms/20.4Mb down/2.1Mb up bogus, faster-than-the-speed-of-light, cache server results)

Above have been my typical results ever since being on True even when flood waters were up to 1.5 meters deep were in my moobaan...I was so surprised that the service worked no problem for those approx 6 weeks we had flood waters in the moobaan; now for my neighbors who were on TOT ADSL they lost their service due to ground level junction boxes being flooded...most have switched to True cable internet since....and TOT is now installing junction boxes mounted high on poles feed by fiber optics....guess losing a lot of internet customers motivated them into upgrading. For speeds to international web sites like New York the time of day will affect the results to where my download speed could be in the 3 to 6Mb ballpark.

How are you testing this with proxy off?

My TOT fiber 10/2 has been crawling along since yesterday, Ive complained already but want to check speeds...

What do you think ... on the BK/Nonthaburi border

post-17329-0-64867300-1345209289_thumb.j

Actually after complaining to 11120 he said switch your router off for 10 secs. Speed came back to normal after re-boot then but.................speed has been unreliable for many days now.

I am pretty useless re internet / computer jargon etc. So I will talk basics. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and 5 gig through AIS. At times it will oscillate between H H+ and sometimes, lo and behold 3G (according to the little icons). However, when set up for GSM/WCDMA (god, sounds like I know what I'm talking about but I don't) it is so unreliable that I was constantly losing internet connection. AIS said I need to change down to EDGE .. which I did and it is more stable but much slower. As for speeds, they are all over the place. I can log on to ABC news Australia and it has loaded almost as I finish typing... other times I just go and make a cup of tea whilst I'm waiting. Over the last 2 weeks I have noticed quite a drop in speed. I'm assuming not enough bandwidth and every man and his dog on their phones etc. I complained bitterly to AIS because I NEED secure and reliable internet for banking etc. But they just smile.

really really bad today from home and also had internet problems at the office (TOT ISP for both). Ran some speed tests and no problem with the local speeds but poor Europe/US; international link capacity issues?

Edited by wordchild

3BB has fallen apart for the last several hours.

Same here. Never really been out of this world great..but this evening utterly rotten.

Have my own connection in my condo, so not like anyone could be stealing the bandwidth.

Yes my TOT service is really crap,pages loading in bytes at a time .

I dont see the point in complaining ,as all TOT tells you is to unplug

the router!!!

You can see future problems with Water,Electric supplies ,as the

building of Malls,Shops ,and Houses goes ahead at breakneck

speed,maybe without the thought to expand the supply of utilities

to support them,and the Internet is the first sign of whats to come.

regards Worgeordie

I've noticed problems in the globex routers somewhere in Europe. Connection to Singapore is stable. I reckon some reroting and physical cable probs are going on. This usually happens when there's an accident and underwater cables are cut, during war time or financial disputes. Somethings up, but the good old TCP is still managing it.

Very slow these past 3 days now on 5M / 1M line on 3BB Primer Line also this was the frist time i have had to use a DNS server from 3BB to get any decent internet speed ?

Here a picture of my speed from taskbar from Windows 8

aew0lj.png

Something is up at the moment on my TOT line..

Crawling speeds to international sites.. Some kind of major issue on some pathways I have to assume.

I agree with this... some things are fast, e.g. Downloads from Apple servers go at full 10MB speed. Afaik these are going over a line to Singapore. Other things are dead slow or fail to load, its erratic. Even TV is slow... probably a hardware failure somewhere...

I have noticed connection issues also here in Ban Chang area TOT,,,,,,,,,,over the last week varying degrees of speed and connecting to sites all over. It would seem "we have a problem" and as some already stated it appears to be with the international connections. Streaming sites that I use are very slow to not working at all. A lot of buffering going on that never happens usually.

As with all things here in LOS, give it a week or two and all of a sudden things will come back to "normal" and nothing will be said as to what the problem was or is.

yesterday my company ran a number of ping tests to our server in the US and found there was consistantly a very heavy packet loss (87% av). the problem was between "hops " 6 and 8 (out of 18). hop 6 was { po-215.kkm-ac-02.totiig.net} 7 was {12.250.141.61} and 8 {cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net} I am no expert but that does look like somewhere in the international link as 6 looks like its still a TOT server and 8 looks like LA(?)

Edited by wordchild

How are you testing this with proxy off?

My TOT fiber 10/2 has been crawling along since yesterday, Ive complained already but want to check speeds...

Proxy setting (on or off) as identified in my above post.

For me on my TrueOnline DOCIS/cable 20Mb/2Mb plan here in western Bangkok, internet speeds are normal...not seeing any slowdown like discussed in this thread.

Edited by Pib

I have ToT 15mb plan, I never get more than 8 and am sick of calling and complaining. When I had ToT 10mb plan I always got 10mb, pretty good.

Drop outs are getting worse and in the evening I am getting a constant 2mb and its definitely getting worse. ToT have been 'investigating' for 3 months now and every time I call, someone from engineering will call me back and the managers are all in a meeting and can't take a call.....pathetic.