Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

It sounds plausible and not without precedent either, GWS experimented with code switching Israel Falau, the result? Fail

Would Franklin in charcoal and orange have a similar effect? I think it would. They need more than a marquee signing to get themselves any traction in the West of Sydney. Look at the Western Sydney Wanderers (of A League fame, AlexRRR will know what I'm talking about), 1st year in the comp, BOOM, winning the title. That, my chums, will put bums on seats!

GWS needed (unfortunately the horse has bolted, but I believe there's still time to get him back in the stable) to have a list that was attractive to the public. If that was the intended goal, instant success. However, one must not lose sight of a long term goal, which hopefully the AFL is aiming for.

Like the famous hair care product phrase once said - by the delicious (thanks Bruce) Rachel Hunter - it won't happen overnight, but it will happen. If that is the goal of the AFL for GWS, then let them do their thing, they're not completely uncompetitive, nor are the Suns. These 2 teams will play finals footy before the turn of the century decade tongue.png

BM your aluminium hat must have fallen off overnight with the play 6 get paid for 9 theory tongue.png I personally think, if anything, Buddy himself will be the downfall of the contract with an off field indiscretion. That being said, his name hasn't been in the papers in the Harbour city - could this be of the Swans doing as well tongue.png - so this could be an indication (on face value of course) that he's either 1. kept an extremely low profile or 2. the media circus has too many dickheads up here in the other codes to deal with that they don't have enough paparazzi on hand to get the photos 3. they do have enough paparazzi to photograph him, but it's not going to sell any newspapers so it's not worth the hassle tongue.png

Now Riewoldt I can see going to (Western) Sydney. He'd fit right in. Blonde hair blue eyes. Just needs to bring his flanno and uggies and he'll be right tongue.png Would actually be a good move for him. Has Mummy (Shane) to keep him company and show him the sights. Speaking of Mummy, he seems a bit put out by the whole Buddy Franklin thing, not offered a contract extension and knew it wasn't going to come after the Franklin deal was announced. Put it together and jumped before he was pushed (so to speak).

Jolly to Dees, makes total sense, AlexRRR you can say what you want about Jolly when he played for Melbourne in the beginning, but there's no denying that under Roos at the Swans he was an elite ruckman. He was never going to get to that stage at Melbourne with White and whoever else they had being favoured. He's a dual premiership player, but he is getting on (31) maybe has 2 years left in him.

Hope Telstra's sorted out the connectivity at AFL house, there's going to be an overload of emails flying through their servers come 9am tomorrow biggrin.png

GS, you might have underestimated the Folau effect. I would rate it a success, not on the field, but in pure publicity and engaging with a new target audience He was the biggest young name in league and was hero worshiped out West by kids. The GWS move was brilliant in that it engaged thousands of kids and got them looking at the AFL game and putting it into their minds. Every week there were articles about Folau and GWS. The AFL has also pumped massive dollars into the Western Sydney area for promoting the game.

(The Western Sydney Wanderers were successful on field and that helped a lot, but they had a huge supporter base because Western Sydney genuinely wanted their own Western Sydney team, not an inner city Sydney team, to support)

I totally agree with you about GWS needing a marque name, but they need one who can last 5 years+. They would be wasting their money with St Kilda Nick (IMO). He is virtually unknown in Sydney outside AFL fans and he only has a couple of years to play.

I predict that in coming years GWS will poach a number of Sydney big name midfielders. Makes sense for the players. They stay in Sydney and can earn good money, plus, the players will be known by the Sydney public.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Falau project failed - IMHO - due to GWS's failure to retain him. Had they retained him, similar to the GC's Hunt Experiment, it would have been a major coup. Not going to deny that it was a major coup, one that even those in my adopted home would tip their hat at. Read the Courier Mail in QLD and both teams get their fair share of attention which is great.

This is really evidenced by the crowd figures from year to year. The AFL has dumped pumped millions into this venture, there's no way in Collingwood hell that they didn't do the sums for a potential ROI. I hope the GWS and GC are more and more competitive, I've backed the GWS proposal since its inception (more AFL games in Sydney, was IMO, never going to be a bad thing). The way it was executed required a lot of polish. Live and learn, so be it and play the cards your dealt :)

GWS will only be able to poach Swans players if they're coming up to their used by dates and/or aren't competitive - which if all goes well tomorow - can't not see happening for at least the next 6-9 years.

Sydney will need to manage its upcoming stocks even better than they do currently. GWS presents this challenge for them, they are arguably the experts of list management - Stu Maxfield is THE man when it comes to this and Kinnear Beatson is a frickin' genius!

My spidey senses are tingling with Chappy heading up to have a chat with GWS...

The Falau project failed - IMHO - due to GWS's failure to retain him. Had they retained him, similar to the GC's Hunt Experiment, it would have been a major coup. Not going to deny that it was a major coup, one that even those in my adopted home would tip their hat at. Read the Courier Mail in QLD and both teams get their fair share of attention which is great.

He would have become a major embarrassment to GWS and the AFL if he stayed. That he couldn't make an impact within a team of young players starting off did not bode well for his future. He fulfilled part of what he was there for, gaining huge publicity.

I reckon GWS will go out of their way to poach a big name Swan. You might be right about it being a few years from now though.

He would have become a major embarrassment to GWS and the AFL if he stayed. That he couldn't make an impact within a team of young players starting off did not bode well for his future. He fulfilled part of what he was there for, gaining huge publicity.

I reckon GWS will go out of their way to poach a big name Swan. You might be right about it being a few years from now though.

Well they got Mummy... Granted, they probably paid over market price, but well, they got him...

It will be a few more years before they find their groove both in season and post season...

Well they got Mummy... Granted, they probably paid over market price, but well, they got him...

It will be a few more years before they find their groove both in season and post season...

I was thinking they would go for one of the following players in the next few years:

Jetta

Hannebery

Kieran Jack

I was thinking they would go for one of the following players in the next few years:

Jetta

Hannebery

Kieran Jack

Hannebery, maybe... Jetta? Hmmm... Not if Micky O is still around... Jack? He's picked up the Captaincy this year, can't see him going anywhere.

2018 could see Sam Reid moving cross town...

Jetta

Hannebery

Kieran Jack

Hannebery, maybe... Jetta? Hmmm... Not if Micky O is still around... Jack? He's picked up the Captaincy this year, can't see him going anywhere.

2018 could see Sam Reid moving cross town...

They'll want a big name, someone who is already in the media spotlight.

Jetta and Micky O are close?

Agreed and should Sam Reid go injury free for the next couple of years, he'll be that spotlight...

Micky O is an influential figure for the whole team as is Goodesy, even more influential on Jetta (I wasn't sure how to put that sentence without it coming across as being racially motivated - but it's clearly not intended to sound that way, just not enough coffee today after a rather early morning has left my poor brain clutching at straws.

Agreed and should Sam Reid go injury free for the next couple of years, he'll be that spotlight...

Micky O is an influential figure for the whole team as is Goodesy, even more influential on Jetta (I wasn't sure how to put that sentence without it coming across as being racially motivated - but it's clearly not intended to sound that way, just not enough coffee today after a rather early morning has left my poor brain clutching at straws.

I think Buddy will also be good for Jetta. He looked like he was lacking confidence the start of this season, then got injured.

Where do you think we should play Reid? AS you know I like him at centre half back

Well at least some good news today coming out of St Kilda to try and stem the exodus of players. Hopefully Watters will be gone.

Saints’ footy department under review

Nathan Schmook October 2, 2013 2:49 PM

ST KILDA has appointed a panel of four club directors to review the entire football department, including coach Scott Watters, who has one year to run on his contract.

It is considered likely that Watters would either emerge from the current review with a new contract or a decision would be deferred while he serves the final year of his current deal. There are rumours of growing disharmony between the playing group and coaching panel.

Well at least some good news today coming out of St Kilda to try and stem the exodus of players. Hopefully Watters will be gone.

Saints’ footy department under review

Nathan Schmook October 2, 2013 2:49 PM

ST KILDA has appointed a panel of four club directors to review the entire football department, including coach Scott Watters, who has one year to run on his contract.

It is considered likely that Watters would either emerge from the current review with a new contract or a decision would be deferred while he serves the final year of his current deal. There are rumours of growing disharmony between the playing group and coaching panel.

'Growing disharmony'?

I would have thought form the exodus that it was there already

• Like 1

I think Buddy will also be good for Jetta. He looked like he was lacking confidence the start of this season, then got injured.

Where do you think we should play Reid? AS you know I like him at centre half back

You mean a new delicious dynamic duo? Hoohoo Bruce will be rehearsing this long into the night!

Along with Goodesy, he's also got the International Rules Series in Ireland as a semi-pre-pre-season as well, which will no doubt boost his confidence.

Reid? Depends how his pre-season unfolds... He could go down back like his brother at Collingwood. But I don't think he deserves that role. It's a pretty impressive forward 6, it gives O'Keefe the chance to regain his confidence - which I felt was lacking when he looked like he was shouldering the burden - and move him around. I'd have him on the half forward flank, gives him room to move around, Buddy as the CHF - he's big and mobile, like Reid and Tippett as FF/Ruck or a rotation combination for all 3.

Hmmmmm the devil is involved with the saints review ....if they were serious it would be an independent body, if there was confidence with watters he would have been given an extension....knifes are being sharpend chooka, will your nephew be one of the hatchet men?

Now Chapman is available, a real smart player, think the cats were to harsh, would fit in very well with a team in the premiership window.

Hmmmmm the devil is involved with the saints review ....if they were serious it would be an independent body, if there was confidence with watters he would have been given an extension....knifes are being sharpend chooka, will your nephew be one of the hatchet men?

Now Chapman is available, a real smart player, think the cats were to harsh, would fit in very well with a team in the premiership window.

My nephew?, no he is just a jnr physio.

Adam Simpson has signed a three-year deal to become the new coach of the West Coast Eagles.

The West Coast job was vacated by premiership-winning coach John Worsfold in early September and the list of applicants was initially 14 names long.

As Simpson was a deputy under Alastair Clarkson at Hawthorn, West Coast was forced to wait until Hawthorn finished its 2013 campaign to name its new senior coach.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-03/adam-simpson-named-west-coast-eagles-coach-afl/4997590

• Like 1

Adam Simpson has signed a three-year deal to become the new coach of the West Coast Eagles.

The West Coast job was vacated by premiership-winning coach John Worsfold in early September and the list of applicants was initially 14 names long.

As Simpson was a deputy under Alastair Clarkson at Hawthorn, West Coast was forced to wait until Hawthorn finished its 2013 campaign to name its new senior coach.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-03/adam-simpson-named-west-coast-eagles-coach-afl/4997590

Ahhh yes I know the scenario well, Neeld was a hot assistant from a premiership club, so much for white hot Sumich.

Seems to be a formula in hiring head coaches....whistling.gif

The Age newspaper has risen in cost to $2.30, that is a 30c jump...can you believe it? how the hell they can justify a 30c jump when its half the size it was 10 ys ago..... There trying to force us online, that's nice for you office workers but what about us guys onsite?

Have read the paper from my iphone but with fading eyesight.... anyway they capped 30 free views per month online...

Harvey quits Lions.

Tigers appoint first female President.

The man who brought the Dees to there knees is writing for the Age, Cameron Schwab, hmmm on that tired subject of Franklin.

Trade week officially starts today its the chance for the middle ranked players to make there move.

Sydney faces $900,000 salary cap black hole should the AFL abolish cost of living allowances

• by: Mark Hayes and Jon Ralph
  • October 04, 2013 12:00AM

With the cost-of-living allowance (COLA) certain to be killed off by the AFL over the summer, Sydney could be forced to dump even more players next year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-faces-900000-salary-cap-black-hole-should-the-afl-abolish-cost-of-living-allowances/story-fn69a32t-1226732492642?utm_source=Herald%20Sun&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&net_sub_uid=6385596

Have read the paper from my iphone but with fading eyesight.... anyway they capped 30 free views per month online...

30 views online also for free with the Sydney Morning Herald. Herald Sun and Daily Telegraph even less for free..

Just clear your browsing history and you can start the 30 all over again w00t.gif ...as many times a month you want to

I haven't bought a physical newspaper for a few years now

Edited by BookMan

Sydney faces $900,000 salary cap black hole should the AFL abolish cost of living allowances

• by: Mark Hayes and Jon Ralph
  • October 04, 2013 12:00AM

With the cost-of-living allowance (COLA) certain to be killed off by the AFL over the summer, Sydney could be forced to dump even more players next year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-faces-900000-salary-cap-black-hole-should-the-afl-abolish-cost-of-living-allowances/story-fn69a32t-1226732492642?utm_source=Herald%20Sun&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&net_sub_uid=6385596

I doubt it. The COLA would be in addition to their contract..as Sydney has stated.

Sounds like some wishful thinking...

• Like 1

Well I'm a happy chappy at the minute.

I was hoping Simpson would get it. IMO, Sumich would've been a disaster.

Pity it wasn't a bit earlier. Will be interesting to see if WC do much at today's

trade talks.

Ahhh yes I know the scenario well, Neeld was a hot assistant from a premiership club, so much for white hot Sumich.

Seems to be a formula in hiring head coaches....whistling.gif

Well unless you get an ex-coach like Chocco Williams, you have to get them from the assistant coaching pool.

True, being an assistant at a successful club doesn't guarantee success, but it doesn't hurt.

At the end of the day, it's a lottery. I remember David Parkin being asked about whether John Worsfold

would make a good head coach when he was his assistant at Carlton. Parko replied "John has all of the

attributes for a good coach but you can never tell until someone's actually doing the job".

Having a good structure and playing list doesn't hurt either. Chris Scott goes to Geelong and has instant success.

It would've been really hard for any inexperienced coach to to Melbourne, with their list, culture and 2 clowns

like Scwabb and Connolly in charge.

I think Connolly is still the (suspended) football manager. If he is, what a disgrace.

• Like 1

One of the Red & Whites favorite sons had this to say this morning:

"Former Swan Tadhg Kennelly is bemused by the storm created by Lance Franklin's move to Sydney. "I think it is fantastic and I can't understand the criticism that the club is getting," Kennelly tells Gillette Trade Radio."

GWS on the twitter this morning still on about it...

"Would it be more transparent and easier to follow if free agency was conducted on e-bay?"

Hawks unlikely to be able to match the Swans offer...

"Hawthorn recruiting and list manager Graham Wright says the Hawks are unlikely to match the Sydney Swans' offer to Lance Franklin. Should that be the case, Buddy will be guaranteed to join the 2012 premiers."

It hasn't reached the crescendo yet, but it's certainly warming up down at AFL house...

• Like 1

One of the Red & Whites favorite sons had this to say this morning:

"Former Swan Tadhg Kennelly is bemused by the storm created by Lance Franklin's move to Sydney. "I think it is fantastic and I can't understand the criticism that the club is getting," Kennelly tells Gillette Trade Radio."

GWS on the twitter this morning still on about it...

"Would it be more transparent and easier to follow if free agency was conducted on e-bay?"

Hawks unlikely to be able to match the Swans offer...

"Hawthorn recruiting and list manager Graham Wright says the Hawks are unlikely to match the Sydney Swans' offer to Lance Franklin. Should that be the case, Buddy will be guaranteed to join the 2012 premiers."

It hasn't reached the crescendo yet, but it's certainly warming up down at AFL house...

ANZ stadium could break the ground record for an AFL crowd outside of Victoria next year. Currently about 75000. I can see some big crowds now Buddy is playing

ANZ stadium could break the ground record for an AFL crowd outside of Victoria next year. Currently about 75000. I can see some big crowds now Buddy is playing

If it were a Swans v Hawks GF this year, then I could probably see that happening. As it stands I'm sure they'll give it a nudge, probably even more so if there's a prelim there next year.

Overall crowds will rise for the Swans, of that I have no doubt. Swans will see an ROI on Buddy in probably 3 seasons ;)

Well I'm a happy chappy at the minute.

I was hoping Simpson would get it. IMO, Sumich would've been a disaster.

Pity it wasn't a bit earlier. Will be interesting to see if WC do much at today's

trade talks.

Sumich was on the Brad Hardie radio show whinging about missing out.

After failing in 3 attempts at a senior coaching job says he may not apply for all vacancies in the future.

With you Will, he would have been a disaster.