Laphroaig Whisky

edwardandtubs

I love a nice peaty Islay whisky and was reading on an old thread that Laphroaig is available in Best Supermarket for 1500 baht. The cheapest I can get it in Bangkok is 2000 baht. Can anyone confirm what the price of it is nowadays in Best Supermarket? If it's still going for 1500 baht I'll come to Pattaya and stock up.

• Like 1

Not wanting to spoil the party, but the market for counterfeit Scotch Whisky in S.E. Asia, especially in India and China, is huge. I've seen bottles of apparently premium brand Scotch on sale over in Laos for prices that say it was never anywhere near Scotland. Those in the know say that many of the counterfeits are so good that only laboratory tests can tell them apart from the real thing.

Not wanting to spoil the party, but the market for counterfeit Scotch Whisky in S.E. Asia, especially in India and China, is huge. I've seen bottles of apparently premium brand Scotch on sale over in Laos for prices that say it was never anywhere near Scotland. Those in the know say that many of the counterfeits are so good that only laboratory tests can tell them apart from the real thing.

So whats the problem,hail to the counterfeit whisky's.

So whats the problem,hail to the counterfeit whisky's.

You can't counterfeit Islay peat smoke and 10 years maturation in oak barrels. Who exactly are these people "in the know" who claim you can?

• Like 1

China, India and many other areas of Asia are huge markets for REAL scotch whisky, the reason it is much cheaper than in Scotland is simply the outrageous Duty/Tax imposed in the UK - crazy!!

N I've seen bottles of apparently premium brand Scotch on sale over in Laos for prices that say it was never anywhere near Scotland.

I have bought malt whisky in Laos and never been disappointed. Prices can be almost half the price in Thailand. If you go to a supermarket in Phnom Penh you will find all brands of all alcohol selling for nearly half the Thai price. It's the taxes imposed by Thailand that make Thai prices higher than even UK prices (even with cheaper rents, salaries and VAT in Thailand)

N I've seen bottles of apparently premium brand Scotch on sale over in Laos for prices that say it was never anywhere near Scotland.

I have bought malt whisky in Laos and never been disappointed. Prices can be almost half the price in Thailand. If you go to a supermarket in Phnom Penh you will find all brands of all alcohol selling for nearly half the Thai price. It's the taxes imposed by Thailand that make Thai prices higher than even UK prices (even with cheaper rents, salaries and VAT in Thailand)

You can get authentic booze in Laos/Cambo. But you can also get duped and end up with counterfeit stuff. I saw a bottle of Jack Daniels that was almost 100% identical to the real thing. Unless you really know your stuff, it's easy to get duped. And yes, I tasted it. It was pretty good...but didn't drink much, so no idea if it would have been a major hangover or not.

I checked in the Best supermarket at Dolphin Circle: the only Laphroaig they had was the 18 year old at 5650 THB. The spot where I think the 12 should have been was empty, so either you or someone else bought them out...heh...

That applies to the commercial khrap like JW, Ballantines etc --- have never come across counterfeit single malt. Not even the run of the mil stuff like Glenmorange.

My M8 told me about Bowmore in Best - priice was reasonable but it was only a 0.75L bottle

I checked in the Best supermarket at Dolphin Circle: the only Laphroaig they had was the 18 year old at 5650 THB. The spot where I think the 12 should have been was empty, so either you or someone else bought them out...heh...

Thanks! 2000-ish is a pretty good price anyway - about the same as the UK. If I ever see it for 1500 I'll clear the shelf.

• 2 weeks later...
I love a nice peaty Islay whisky and was reading on an old thread that Laphroaig is available in Best Supermarket for 1500 baht. The cheapest I can get it in Bangkok is 2000 baht. Can anyone confirm what the price of it is nowadays in Best Supermarket? If it's still going for 1500 baht I'll come to Pattaya and stock up.

I will check Supermit for you - normally cheapest spirits in patts

Example: Grey goose vodka 1500 (1750 in most shops)

You said you like the Peaty flavored single malts,

The Macallan 18yr is another nice malt (peat) flavor characteristics

My question for you have you tried it and have you tried Glenlivet or Macallan ? which do you think is best?

Love that peaty whisky though my brand is Lagavulin.

AAARRRRGGGHHH... JT! an old friend of mine is addicted to "Laga" and gave me years ago a bottle as a present. if i had not moved in the meantime that bottle would still be nearly full a decorative item in my bar. inhaled through a nebuliser i think it could drive lung cancer away.

• Like 1

Laphroaig... Lagavulin.... all very nice peaty Islay malts. But if you ever get a chance try smokehead.

Nose:

Heavy smoke and peat. Amazing richness. Lemon, fresh ginger, plum jam. Salty and spicy.

Body:

Like a cannonball - hits the palate at once with cocoa, peat and some honey sweetness then explodes with peppery spice and more earthy peat. Spreads to all the areas of your mouth with more peat and light sweetness.

Finish:

Even more peat, spice, mandarin - then dries up. When you think it’s all over the peat comes back to hit you again.

Just in case peat floats your boat!

(Not available locally)

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Hm, I had to look that word up in WikiPedia: "Peat (turf) is an accumulation of partially decayed vegetation matter or histosol. [..] Some Scotch whisky distilleries, such as those on Islay, use peat fires to dry malted barley. This gives some Scotch whisky a distinctive smoky flavour, often called "peatiness".

How do you pronounce Laphroaig then?

Hm, I had to look that word up in WikiPedia: "Peat (turf) is an accumulation of partially decayed vegetation matter or histosol. [..] Some Scotch whisky distilleries, such as those on Islay, use peat fires to dry malted barley. This gives some Scotch whisky a distinctive smoky flavour, often called "peatiness".

How do you pronounce Laphroaig then?

My favorite of all single malts. It's very strong, but excellent!!

I don't know why but I like Lagavulin much better than Laphroaig.

It could be how I started with it. A friend, an upper class iconoclastic woman with really bad teeth (Anglophile?whistling.gif ) was really into Lagavulin and turned me on to it. It was the first single malt I had ever tasted which is funny considering it isn't really a normal one for beginners. It just imprinted hard wire.

Edited by Jingthing

Where is Supermit???

My question for you have you tried it and have you tried Glenlivet or Macallan ? which do you think is best?

Macallan and Glenlivet are easy to find in Thailand. They're both more fruity than peaty so not really my kind of dram.

Lagavulin is the king of peaty single malts but a bit overpriced. Here's tip for any peat lover who wants to save money. Macleod's Islay 8 year is an independent bottling of an unnamed Islay whisky but is probably a young Lagavulin. It's only about 1300 baht in Villa Market. Well worth the money.

• Like 1

Where is Supermit???

I think he means the shop in between Foodland and Big C Extra. Near the Minibuses to BKK.

Macallan and Glenlivet are easy to find in Thailand. They're both more fruity than peaty so not really my kind of dram.

Lagavulin is the king of peaty single malts but a bit overpriced. Here's tip for any peat lover who wants to save money. Macleod's Islay 8 year is an independent bottling of an unnamed Islay whisky but is probably a young Lagavulin. It's only about 1300 baht in Villa Market. Well worth the money.

Yes, the Speyside malts mentioned are way less peaty by nature of their creation but I think my grandfather would spin like a top in his grave if someone ever called The Macallan (where he worked and hence his favourite tipple) as fruity.

I do chuckle at how malt whiskey aficionados have embraced the wine-tasters lexicon of (to me) unlikely terms for something drinkable and discuss 'nose' and 'palate' and come up with unorthodox use of words such as 'sparkle' and 'explode' or attribute all sorts of flavours from chocolate to mandarin to the 'water of life'. My grandpa just used to take a good sized first 'houp', swallow, suck the air sharply back through tightened lips and closed (but never clenched) teeth before saying, "Oh... that's braw that is." Then again, I was called a heathen by a rather good looking, if outspoken lady barkeep from Sheffield, working in Chicago when I chose to slam a 25 year-old malt that had been bought for me. My excuse that it was cold outside (it was in January) only slightly mollified her and she never ever quite believed I was really Scottish after that.

Excellent tip on the Macleod's at Villa btw. Slainte Mhath!

Edited by NanLaew