No Alcohol Until When?

heybruce

Bars and pubs seemed closed last-night (my source said 3 days). The Ladyboys seemed to be doing a good trade.

Last night and today bars are closed and alcohol sales banned due to the election. The UN Irish Pub has a sign up saying they are closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday due to the election and Royal Funeral.

You cannot survive a day or two without alcohol ????

Every person that uses this forum is not a retired expat whinging about one day of no beer

It is a simple question of what days are bars open

Edited by PlanetX
  • Like 1

You cannot stay on topic when presented with a simple question????

To answer your question, yes I can, but it's nice to know what places are and aren't open when making evening plans.

Exactly! And now on to the next important question. Has anybody conducted a site survey around town yet to see which establishments are potentially open?

From what I hear, Monkey Club plans to be open Tues night. Additionally, Q-Bar in Bangkok is planning to be open as well, and are promoting a big party that night.

As I am one of the lucky ones with a day off from work tomorrow, I may take a drive shortly to see what's open... of course, purely for research purposes only.

drunk.gif

-Mestizo

Alcohol is available everyday. Maybe not in the pubs or bars but certainly in most mom&pop shops.

But everyones mom&pop don't own a shop.

Actually most mom & pops I know don't have a shop.

Edited by pipo1000

You cannot stay on topic when presented with a simple question????

To answer your question, yes I can, but it's nice to know what places are and aren't open when making evening plans.

Exactly! And now on to the next important question. Has anybody conducted a site survey around town yet to see which establishments are potentially open?

From what I hear, Monkey Club plans to be open Tues night. Additionally, Q-Bar in Bangkok is planning to be open as well, and are promoting a big party that night.

As I am one of the lucky ones with a day off from work tomorrow, I may take a drive shortly to see what's open... of course, purely for research purposes only.

drunk.gif

-Mestizo

All the small Thai shops from outer ring road to Narawat Bridge were operating like normal, including the Kareoke place near the bridge. Most of the small shops on moon Maung near Thapae gate were open. Bees not hidden at all.

Chiang Mai Saloon inside the moat and The Wall were also in full swing. Bars on top end of Loi Kroh were mostly closed. A few had doors closed 90%, but most were closed completely. The LK boxing area, most of the bars are open, but with music turned down. Approximately 95% are open tho. Some will be closing at midnight, as one bar owner got a tipoff from police friend that would be around about midnight.

Spicy had their lights on and looked like they planned to be open. The reggae bar / Zoe in yellow were all closed. The small Zoe bar on the corner was open, tho

-Mestizo

All the small Thai shops from outer ring road to Narawat Bridge were operating like normal, including the Kareoke place near the bridge. Most of the small shops on moon Maung near Thapae gate were open. Bees not hidden at all.

Chiang Mai Saloon inside the moat and The Wall were also in full swing. Bars on top end of Loi Kroh were mostly closed. A few had doors closed 90%, but most were closed completely. The LK boxing area, most of the bars are open, but with music turned down. Approximately 95% are open tho. Some will be closing at midnight, as one bar owner got a tipoff from police friend that would be around about midnight.

Spicy had their lights on and looked like they planned to be open. The reggae bar / Zoe in yellow were all closed. The small Zoe bar on the corner was open, tho

-Mestizo

Nice report, thanks. So it looks like for election day a number of small bars stayed open and some of the big bars did the sensible thing and started selling before the midnight end to the ban. I never understood the midnight thing; do Thai people actually vote that late?

The Monday and Tuesday ban are due to the Royal Funeral. The response may be different, but I'm sure thirsty people will find a way to drink. It may require leaving Loi Kroh and exploring new territory, but hopefully nobody is excessively dependent on Loi Kroh for their social life.

-Mestizo

Nice report, thanks. So it looks like for election day a number of small bars stayed open and some of the big bars did the sensible thing and started selling before the midnight end to the ban. I never understood the midnight thing; do Thai people actually vote that late?

The Monday and Tuesday ban are due to the Royal Funeral. The response may be different, but I'm sure thirsty people will find a way to drink. It may require leaving Loi Kroh and exploring new territory, but hopefully nobody is excessively dependent on Loi Kroh for their social life.

Just to clarify, Saturday night until Sunday 6PM were bans in Chiang Mai only due to local elections.

Sunday Night - Tues Night (April 8 - 10) are nationwide bans requested by the government due to the funeral.

-Mestizo

-Mestizo

Just to follow up on this, the police did not make an appearance and the Loi Kroh boxing bars will open well after 1AM.

I did a quick check on late night venues on my way home.

- Spicy did NOT open. It was completely closed.

- Jacky van did not open either.

-Lucky Bar was doing booming business. There were a ton of cars/ motorbikes/ people and tuk-tuks crawling around Lucky Bar late last night. Probably one of the busiest nights they've had in a long time.

Unfortunately I didn't make it to Santitam area, Fabrique, or Nieman.... Can anybody report on those?

Thanks,

-Mestizo

Chiang Mai Saloon inside the moat and The Wall were also in full swing. Bars on top end of Loi Kroh were mostly closed. A few had doors closed 90%, but most were closed completely. The LK boxing area, most of the bars are open, but with music turned down. Approximately 95% are open tho.

- Spicy did NOT open. It was completely closed.

- Jacky van did not open either.

- Lucky Bar was doing booming business. There were a ton of cars/ motorbikes/ people and tuk-tuks crawling around Lucky Bar late last night. Probably one of the busiest nights they've had in a long time.

Unfortunately I didn't make it to Santitam area, Fabrique, or Nieman.... Can anybody report on those?

Slacker. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

A bit off topic, but who in the Royal family died? We don't get much Thailand news here in Canada... Just as we don't get ANY Canadian news when i'm in Thailand.

I just found out the answer to my own question by searching on Thai news...

Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana passed away

Edited by IanForbes

A bit off topic, but who in the Royal family died? We don't get much Thailand news here in Canada... Just as we don't get ANY Canadian news when i'm in Thailand.

I just found out the answer to my own question by searching on Thai news...

Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana passed away

They have funeral-type ceremonies - many different kids - for months and years after the actual death.

The higher-so the family the more so, makes it very expensive when you're expected to chip in along with the rest and your honey's face is at stake.